Traction concepts LSD in getrag 282 by Chris_B_84se
Started on: 10-11-2020 11:59 AM
Replies: 9 (415 views)
Last post by: wftb on 10-20-2020 11:38 AM
Chris_B_84se

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2020 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_B_84seSend a Private Message to Chris_B_84seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I got an LSD from traction concepts, yesterday I tore apart my trans to put it in. I’ve got it right down to putting it in, but it dose not seem to fit in the gears. I’m not sure what to do next.
Anyone else run a traction concepts LSD? Would like to know if I’m missing something.

Thanks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2020 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pictures might help.
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2020 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Traction Concepts is one of these "spring & plate" type friction devices, like the Phantom Grip. They're not LSD's. At best they're peg-leg burnout preventers.
Chris_B_84se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2020 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_B_84seSend a Private Message to Chris_B_84seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
*UPDATE* I did get it installed. I have to bring down the inner face of the the two smaller diff gears. Fits in with 3 thou either side.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2020 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

Traction Concepts is one of these "spring & plate" type friction devices, like the Phantom Grip. They're not LSD's. At best they're peg-leg burnout preventers.

Sounds like the "positraction" differentials of old. They used a clutch to hook up the wheels to work together. Not sure that this is needed on a Fiero but it certainly can't hurt.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2020 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Sounds like the "positraction" differentials of old. They used a clutch to hook up the wheels to work together. Not sure that this is needed on a Fiero but it certainly can't hurt.

In an actual limited slip, the squeeze on the clutch pack is a function of the torque applied to the driveline... more torque in = more clamp load on the clutch pack. This is the way all "Salisbury" type diffs such as the LSD's used in older BMWs and Porsches works. These can have several hundred ftlbs of locking torque between the left and right axles.

A spring on metal plates inside the diff obviously has no such relationship. 80 ftlbs of preload torque on the bench is the same 80ftlbs it has when you roll into the throttle coming out of a tight turn. 80ftlbs is a tiny amount of preload for actual limited slip function.

As I said, at best it prevents a peg-leg burnout, but Fieros don't really do those anyway.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2020 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On my Ford Ranger (Ford 8.8 rear end), the clutch packs are located between the planet gears and the diff carrier.

The thrust load on the planet gears squeezes the clutch packs.

There is a small S-shaped spring in the middle; this loads the planet gears a bit against the diff carrier, even in the absence of torque from the propshaft. The spring probably results in about 80 lb*ft of friction torque. With the truck in gear, and both rear tires off the ground, I can almost fully torque the lug nuts, but not quite.

I don't know how all LSDs are done, but that's how it's implemented on my truck.
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2020 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I could be wrong but very few newer factory LSD's use clutch type LSD's. They use the Torsen worm gear types. You can not use a clutch pack LSD on a front drive diff. The other LSD in common use today uses electrically operated clutch packs. These are the best because they work with the electronic controls to get better traction and cornering. The other common type is electronic braking control on an open diff. SBE and cheap.

------------------
86 GT built 2.2 ecotec turbo
rear SLA suspension
QA1 coilovers on tube arms

[This message has been edited by wftb (edited 10-19-2020).]

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2020 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are still plenty of clutch packs used in RWD cars. C5, C6 & C7 Corvettes had them, for example, while an electronic diff was optional on the C7.

Yes, WWD (Wrong Wheel Drive) cars have to use helical style diffs in order to be able to turn. Some RWD cars have them too. I've heard of some Subarus having success on pavement by using a helical front, geared/viscous center and open rear in getting those nose heavy cars to turn.
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2020 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had an F150 that the differential went bad on while under warranty. The Ford performance book had a Torsen listed for my truck so since it all was getting done under warranty I had them put it in. Made a huge difference in snow and wet conditions. I just have never seen a need for one in a Fiero.

------------------
86 GT built 2.2 ecotec turbo
rear SLA suspension
QA1 coilovers on tube arms

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay