Rusted suspension parts by naughtrick
Started on: 10-08-2020 03:51 PM
Replies: 21 (574 views)
Last post by: edfiero on 10-23-2020 01:15 PM
naughtrick

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2020 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for naughtrickSend a Private Message to naughtrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm a newbie Fiero owner with a 85 2m6, in need of help. I'm trying to replace worn suspension parts, but now I think I'm in over my head. I would like to remove the crossmember, but as shown in these pics, there is a serious rust issue.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
naughtrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2020 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for naughtrickSend a Private Message to naughtrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sorry, I'm having computer problems too. I hope the pics loaded.
The bolts securing the crossmember to the frame are badly rusted. Another Fiero owner fabricated replacement brackets, but I need to get the old ones off.
Any help would be appreciated.

[This message has been edited by naughtrick (edited 10-08-2020).]

naughtrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2020 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for naughtrickSend a Private Message to naughtrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

naughtrick

15 posts
Member since Jul 2020
Sorry again for the duplicate pics.
Rick
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2020 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by naughtrick:

I'm trying to replace worn suspension parts, but now I think I'm in over my head.

You might have a parts car there. In other words, rust may have destroyed the integrity of the frame. Before you put too much time/money into this Fiero, at least first check your rear upper frame rails.

And just so you know... instead of posting multiple times (due to mistakes), you could simply have edited your first post.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 10-08-2020).]

naughtrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2020 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for naughtrickSend a Private Message to naughtrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Patrick, the duplicate photos are gone.
I checked the whole car for rust, the front suspension is the only issue found.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2020 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I checked the whole car for rust, the front suspension is the only issue found.

It's very surprising that a Fiero with such bad corrosion up front doesn't have rust in the usual trouble spot, the rear upper frame rails.

Okay, well hopefully someone can offer you advice on dealing with what you've pointed out.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2020 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The upper reinforcing brackets unscrew from the car, so they can be replaced whole:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/135458.html#p7

Fiero Store used to sell these (as they rust faster than the rest of the suspension), but they don't appear to be for sale anymore.

You can try to get used ones (either stock Fiero, or Fiero Store), or fabricate new ones from flat stock. That area collects a bunch of dirt+water, so these brackets should be sandblasted + POR-15ed. Then spray anti-rust oil where you can't reach with paint.

The actual crossmember is a bigger item; suggest sandblasting and welding patches as required.

You may want to get these items from a parts car, so you can take your time restoring these parts on the side, without having to take your running Fiero out of service immediately.
naughtrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2020 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for naughtrickSend a Private Message to naughtrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks PM, I have the replacement brackets, they were made a by local Fiero owner who I believe is a member of this forum.
The crossmember seems to be in fair condition, from what I can see. My issue right now is removing the old brackets. I think I'll have to try welding nuts onto the bolts to remove them. I've already removed numerous parts for sandblasting and painting, so the car is out of service.
naughtrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2020 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for naughtrickSend a Private Message to naughtrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As a followup to this, the crossmember is now on the bench. We had to weld nuts onto the rusted bolts to remove them, and all the control arm bolts had to be cut off. The crossmember has surface rust only, so I can start replacing parts now. Thanks to all for your help
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2020 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you were ever planning on lowering the car, now would be the time to cut your bumpstops.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/130768.html
naughtrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2020 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for naughtrickSend a Private Message to naughtrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had no intentions of lowering the car, but while disassembling I did discover one of my springs broke near the top.
It doesnt look like anyone sells stock springs anymore, so I wonder if l could cut off the same amount from the other spring and reuse them.
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2020 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It doesnt look like anyone sells stock springs anymore, so I wonder if l could cut off the same amount from the other spring and reuse them.

When a spring breaks due to being corroded, you've got to wonder what the rest of the spring, as well as the other three, are like.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2020 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I had no intentions of lowering the car, but while disassembling I did discover one of my springs broke near the top.

I have an 88 and have cut one coil from each of the front springs. You can do the same with an earlier car, but any more than that, you should cut the bump stops down, too. (I don't know how that could be accomplished without welding, but it needs to be mentioned, anyway.)
Cut your spring with a cutoff wheel. Do not use a torch. The heat will take the temper out of the spring and it will collapse.

If you prefer, you can post an ad in the mall, looking for stock front springs. Lots of people here part out cars on a regular basis.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2020 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

When a spring breaks due to being corroded, you've got to wonder what the rest of the spring, as well as the other three, are like.

Usually the ends of springs are more rusty than the middle section, as the paint wears off the ends due to contact with the perches. The middle section is normally just hanging out in the breeze. Also there's more chance for wet dirt to collect around the ends.

OP needs to inspect the rest of the spring, and determine if after amputating the bad end, he will be left with a not-overtly-rusty spring.

Also, cut the broken spring squarely, so you're not left with the jagged break.

Originally posted by naughtrick:We had to weld nuts onto the rusted bolts to remove them,

Originally posted by Raydar:
you should cut the bump stops down, too. (I don't know how that could be accomplished without welding, but it needs to be mentioned, anyway.)

Sounds like OP has a welder, or has a friend who can weld.

Wait, what? Friends The government won't let me see any of those for a while...
naughtrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2020 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for naughtrickSend a Private Message to naughtrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All the springs look solid to me. That broken chunk came from the worst rust area on the car. Thanks for the advice guys, I'll keep an eye out for new springs while I'm getting parts sandblasted. If no success, I'll reuse mine, after cutting them properly.
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2020 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
+1 CUT THE SPRING ON OTHER SIDE!

Fieros always look better slightly lowered, fate says to do it haha!

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2020 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would be looking really hard all over the car for possible additional rust. That is pretty significant in just one spot. I would even go so far as to remove that whole front crossmember to clean it up and treat it for rust prevention.

[This message has been edited by Spadesluck (edited 10-17-2020).]

naughtrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2020 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for naughtrickSend a Private Message to naughtrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Shho13, I'm probably going that way, since I can't seem to find replacement springs.
Spadesluck, the crossmember is off, and heading to the sandblaster tomorrow with surface rust only. I've inspected the rest of the car, and only found surface rust.
Thanks for the suggestions...
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2020 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When you have an old car, you don't look a couple of days for a part on Rockauto or wherever and conclude :

I can't seem to find replacement springs.

Keeping a Fiero on the road with minimal downtime involves hoarding spare parts in advance, ideally a parts car, and a network of other parts hoarders on speed-dial.

Sometimes I've been able to complete a repair thanks to some spare part I've been hoarding for 5+ years...

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 10-18-2020).]

naughtrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2020 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for naughtrickSend a Private Message to naughtrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree PM. My last project was a 1966 Beetle, so I'm not completely new to this. I have a garage full of VW parts I need to get rid of now.
I've only owned this car for a few months, so I haven't had time to build up an inventory, but I'm working on it...
naughtrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2020 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for naughtrickSend a Private Message to naughtrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got my parts back from the sandblaster. Got new bushings and ball joints, and have springs coming from Texas. Waiting for control arm bolts from Fiero Store. Almost ready for reassembly.
PFF
System Bot
edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2020 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great time to have all those pieces powder coated.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock