Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  LS4 Impala SS- What do I want from this car?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
LS4 Impala SS- What do I want from this car? by Franked
Started on: 10-02-2020 11:59 AM
Replies: 11 (448 views)
Last post by: Franked on 10-20-2020 11:50 PM
Franked

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2020 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FrankedSend a Private Message to FrankedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, so this question is aimed at the guys who have done an LS4 swap, I have the opportunity to buy an LS4 Impala for super cheap,(under 500$) runs, but leaks a lot of water near the alternator (Kinda top of engine) I don't know if it is a cracked head, head gasket, freeze plug, bad water pump, or just a hose, or the little bleeder balance lines that go under the manifold, no Idea of mileage or even what year it is, I haven't heard it run yet.

I don't really have room to bring this car home, but I am probably going to anyway, I want to strip anything I need off it in a weekend, and sell off the carcass, or junk it.

What do I want to keep for possible use on a Fiero? Obviously I am keeping engine, trans, ECM, BCM, wire harness, gas pedal, evap, maybe the cluster?

Do I want axles, spindles, or brakes?, Cradle, Motor mounts? Trans mounts? Steering column?
anything else?
Radiator?

Any help on what to keep would be appreciated, Thanks in advance, Frank
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2020 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hop on Facebook, if you got it, and search for Pickardt Performance. Gary and Jestin live for LS4 swaps in the Fiero.

[This message has been edited by Spadesluck (edited 10-02-2020).]

Fieroking

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2020 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What you need for this swap is the Engine and Trans plus the ECM, TCM, wiring harness for the Engine. The Cluster and BCM would require a lot of rewiring to get it to work. You could grab the axels as you will need the Tri pots when building new axels for the Fiero. The rest of the parts you mentioned are not needed as they won't fit the Fiero. You can use the Steering column if you want but it is not necessary.

Joe Sokol

------------------
85 SE Daily driver with a 3.4 DOHC OBD II
88 Formula/GT 4.9 Allante Intake (My Baby)
www.fieroking.com

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2020 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I could use the steering column with the steering wheel. Don't turn the wheel after disconcerting it from the rack, that will brake the clock spring.
Also the HVAC system box from under the dash, mine has malfunctioned and makes an irritating grinding noise.
If you get the car I could also use the roof wire harness.

[This message has been edited by Rickady88GT (edited 10-09-2020).]

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2020 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rickady88GT

10648 posts
Member since Dec 2002
what you want is everything for a Cal swap.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2020 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rickady88GT

10648 posts
Member since Dec 2002
if you do get the car, a Sawzall will make quick work of the carcass, a couple of loads to the recyclers and your done. But I highly recommend that you get the pink slip regardless of what you want to do with it. You may have a problem getting rid of the chassis without proof that the cars is not stolen.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2020 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rickady88GT

10648 posts
Member since Dec 2002

Originally posted by Fieroking:

What you need for this swap is the Engine and Trans plus the ECM, TCM, wiring harness for the Engine. The Cluster and BCM would require a lot of rewiring to get it to work. You could grab the axels as you will need the Tri pots when building new axels for the Fiero. The rest of the parts you mentioned are not needed as they won't fit the Fiero. You can use the Steering column if you want but it is not necessary.

Joe Sokol

If it is to be a California legal swap, he will need more than this.
The EVAP system will also need to be used, it is all electronic and not the old school vacuum type on the Fiero. Also the cat will be needed. It is part of a down pipe and will need to be modified, but without it an aftermarket cat won't pass.
Franked

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2020 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrankedSend a Private Message to FrankedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry for the week away from posting, I sorta lost where this thread was during reading general chat stuff.

I did hear the car run-up It runs like total sheeeet. Shaking and maybe running on 5 or 6 cylinders.

I am going to buy it, and stash of in my back yard, hopefully I can pay the guy for it and leave it there for a couple weeks. Hoping the block is good, and the crank, I have more 243 LS heads (06 GTO), and I may bore it to 3.898 (LS1 size)

When I do bring it home, my wife is probably going to give me that look, the one that says " That car may have been cheap, but it will still be costing you in the future, you just don't know if yet"

Just so everyone knows, this project may be several years to completion. I have quite a few other projects to do first. At the moment my 65 Malibu SS is getting it's new EFI 383 engine put in, along with several other things, by me
AC install,
New clutch, scatter shield bell, etc
Blacked out grille/ tail light panel
New headlights
New exhaust
New paint in engine compartment,

I have other projects too, for family, and building a shop. Once the shop gets done, I may have room to start on the Fiero.

Rick, I am willing to give you anything I don't need, although my friend called dibs on the seats and wheels

Frank

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2020 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Franked:

Sorry for the week away from posting, I sorta lost where this thread was during reading general chat stuff.

I did hear the car run-up It runs like total sheeeet. Shaking and maybe running on 5 or 6 cylinders.

I am going to buy it, and stash of in my back yard, hopefully I can pay the guy for it and leave it there for a couple weeks. Hoping the block is good, and the crank, I have more 243 LS heads (06 GTO), and I may bore it to 3.898 (LS1 size)

When I do bring it home, my wife is probably going to give me that look, the one that says " That car may have been cheap, but it will still be costing you in the future, you just don't know if yet"

Just so everyone knows, this project may be several years to completion. I have quite a few other projects to do first. At the moment my 65 Malibu SS is getting it's new EFI 383 engine put in, along with several other things, by me
AC install,
New clutch, scatter shield bell, etc
Blacked out grille/ tail light panel
New headlights
New exhaust
New paint in engine compartment,

I have other projects too, for family, and building a shop. Once the shop gets done, I may have room to start on the Fiero.

Rick, I am willing to give you anything I don't need, although my friend called dibs on the seats and wheels

Frank

Cool thanks, fortunately I don't need seats or wheels. Are the seats heated and cooled? LOL
I want to build a shop, I haven't worked on the Fiero in 6 years because I moved away from my garage.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2020 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How many miles on the car?
What type of damage to the car?
If it doesn't run right, hopefully there is some major benefits to a purchase?
My philosophy is simply to place an engine in the Fiero and let it do it's thing.
I don't recommend a complete rebuild for such a complex project unless you are skilled and prepared for the long hard road ahead. Don't get me wrong it is a cool and "potentially" fun project. But if the engine is scrap, make sure you get a return on the rest of the car.
Franked

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2020 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrankedSend a Private Message to FrankedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, so I got it. 200$ for an 06 Impala SS and my buddy pitched in half, I couldn't pass it up for that cheap.

It was putting a LOT of steam out the exhaust, and died too much to drive itself onto the trailer. I had to use the winch. It did move about 50 feet under it's own power after jumping it 2 times. If I remember, it has 183k miles on it, body and interior in pretty good shape . So I spent 14 hours yesterday towing cars around, this one and the 2 Fiero parts cars. 88, no engine, has a transmission. 85 no engine or trans. both are pretty rough, the 85 has a key in the ignition, so that column may end up in my car if the Impala one doesn't. Both Fieros are manual cars, I will take at least one set of pedals. I need a headlight motor, or parts, my right side has issues, but there will be a lot of parts from 2 cars for sale, eventually. They are parked almost 2 hours away at my ex wife's property. Until I get some more stuff done around my house, and maybe get rid of a car or 2 that is here.
trying to add a picture..
Frank
PFF
System Bot
Franked

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2020 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrankedSend a Private Message to FrankedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Franked

51 posts
Member since Jun 2020
The 88 Cradle was the reason for getting the 2 Fieros, had to take both for the price. It was supposed to be 600.00, but I helped the guy with a few hours of electrical work in the 90 degree Valley weather, and he gave me the cars. It was a long day, 400 miles driving in my truck, loading and unloading the cars, but an overall success.
When I bring each car home, whenever that ends up happening, I will part them out and take what I want and set it aside, sell the rest. the Idea is to put the LS4 in the 88 cradle, and swap it in eventually, I may try to keep the 2.8/85 cradle intact, to swap to for smog, I have not decided yet.
Frank

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock