1988 MERA PS Rack by DrXtreme
Started on: 10-01-2020 07:41 PM
Replies: 11 (361 views)
Last post by: MulletproofMonk on 10-19-2020 01:46 PM
DrXtreme

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2020 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DrXtremeSend a Private Message to DrXtremeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Finally have some decent weather in Florida to work on the 1988 MERA without sweating to death. I pulled the front tray out to look at the top of the PS rack. Here are the pictures. What started as a small trickle will now drain the reservoir in a week or two. I have no idea what that hole is in the center, will need to drop the car on the ground to crawl inside for a better look.

I doubt anyone will have an answer, hopefully this thread helps those in the future.

Dr Xtreme

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2020 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can give you a few uninstalled component photos if you want to compare them to your equipment. BTW, does your setup have all of the wiring harness and is it functional?

Nelson

[This message has been edited by hnthomps (edited 10-01-2020).]

DrXtreme

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2020 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DrXtremeSend a Private Message to DrXtremeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nelson - Please provide some photos so I can compare. I'm still trying to see if the fluid is coming from the center hole or the one off the ear/tab.
DrXtreme

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2020 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DrXtremeSend a Private Message to DrXtremeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

DrXtreme

54 posts
Member since Mar 2019
Pictures of the factory power steering rack for full view.
DrXtreme

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2020 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DrXtremeSend a Private Message to DrXtremeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

DrXtreme

54 posts
Member since Mar 2019
Update - no leak when running either sitting still or turned left. When I turned wheel right and hit the stop fluid came out of the hole in the center. Does that mean the seal is bad and leaking past internally? I'm guessing the rack must work like a piston. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dr Xtreme
hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2020 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DrXtreme:

Nelson - Please provide some photos so I can compare. I'm still trying to see if the fluid is coming from the center hole or the one off the ear/tab.

These may or may not help you out. I can get some additional photos of the rack in the next day or two if desired.

Nelson

hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2020 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hnthomps

5730 posts
Member since Jul 2003

Originally posted by DrXtreme:

These may or may not help you out. I can get some additional photos of the rack in the next day or two if desired.

Nelson

DrXtreme

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2020 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DrXtremeSend a Private Message to DrXtremeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Back to the drawing board. Got the old rack out and the angle of steering input is not the same as 103-0160 which is 2000 F-Body rack.

[This message has been edited by DrXtreme (edited 10-17-2020).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2020 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are a couple of different F-body racks. The one that I have has a "straighter" steering shaft input, IIRC.
Sorry... can't check it or take pics. It's in storage.
DrXtreme

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2020 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DrXtremeSend a Private Message to DrXtremeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you remember which F-Body has the straighter input shaft? I have been searching the internet for 2 days until my eyes bleed and can't find a rack with the same input shaft angle.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2020 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have seen Fiero hydraulic power steering set ups that have used the Mercury Mekur XR4 or the 97 Z28 Camaro racks . SOme have used the "column assist Saturn unit

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

PFF
System Bot
MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2020 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock