Front suspension help by Coolkoolpyle
Started on: 10-01-2020 08:34 AM
Replies: 15 (430 views)
Last post by: Shho13 on 10-17-2020 10:51 AM
Coolkoolpyle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2020 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolkoolpyleSend a Private Message to CoolkoolpyleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have recently bought my first fiero it is a very well done Ferrari f355 replica.

At some point someone removed the front springs and shocks and put a coil over in the original shock location.

The car has a terrible shake in the wheel when cruising and I suspect this is the culprit

Just seems wrong to me.

With all the force of the cars weight on the rear leg of the lowe a arm common sense says it will be prying up on the front leg of the a arm instead of dividing the forces between both legs.

Also the shock mount on the sub frame does not look strong enough to handle all the forces of the front suspension.

Could someone please give me some advice here I'm concerned that this set up is wrong and possibly unsafe.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

------------------
Donald Pyle

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2020 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is probably your problem, and I do believe you are right about it being unsafe, I would find a set of stock springs and get a set of Rodney's lowering ball joints and some new upper ball joints too. New rubber for the arms would be a good idea while you are at it, but may not be necessary depending on condition of the rubber. Welcome to the forum.

------------------
86 GT built 2.2 ecotec turbo
rear SLA suspension
QA1 coilovers on tube arms

Coolkoolpyle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2020 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolkoolpyleSend a Private Message to CoolkoolpyleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for the confirmation

I just got a set of springs prothane bushings and shocks coming.
I'm deep in the cornfields of Iowa so everything is mail order out here

Do you know of a source for the lowering ball joints?
ltlfrari

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2020 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was going to say Rodney Dickman at http://rodneydickman.com but he does not have them listed anymore for the pre 88's.

Rodney has been a great resource for the Fiero community but I know he was looking to wind up/sell his parts business a while ago so that may be why.
You could try contacting him to see if he has any hidden away or knows of another supplier.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2020 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That does not look safe at all. The control arms are made of sheet metal. The forces being exerted by the coilovers are going to twist the control arm back and forth. And now, the entire weight of the front end is resting on those sheet metal brackets. Not good!

If you're looking for a project, you could make your front suspension ride height adjustable, using the stock mounting points. I did that on my '87 Fiero. I removed the upper spring perches (the metal cones with the rubber bump stops on them), and replaced them with adjustable spring perches. The shocks were left in the stock location. If you're interested in building something like that, there is some info in my build thread.

Link ----> https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/000049-12.html
The front suspension build starts about halfway down the page.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 10-01-2020).]

cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2020 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just went to Rodney Dickman's site and it shows both the 1" and 1/2" lowering BJs.......Check with him- he probably still sells them.

Link; http://rodneydickman.com/pr....php?products_id=158

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 10-01-2020).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2020 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

I just went to Rodney Dickman's site... Link; http://rodneydickman.com/pr....php?products_id=158

Those are for '88.

Rodney Dickman's 1" lowering ball joints for '84-'87 are Here... 1/2" are Here

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 10-01-2020).]

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2020 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Patrick....My reading comprehension Taint all that gooder!
Coolkoolpyle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2020 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolkoolpyleSend a Private Message to CoolkoolpyleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for the links!

After cruzin the site I bought just over 400 bucks worth of stuff from him.

I'm certain I'll be spending more next month.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2020 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Coolkoolpyle:

After cruzin the site I bought just over 400 bucks worth of stuff from him.

...and none of us get paid a commission from Rodney either. We're all just satisfied customers.

Coolkoolpyle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2020 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolkoolpyleSend a Private Message to CoolkoolpyleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update

This is the bolt I removed from the front a arm rear lower bushing.

As you can see it has been under excessive stress

The bushing came out in chunks

The front bushing and bolt showed minimal wear

By the looks of everything I'm guessing it's only been like this for maybe ten thousand miles

One good pot hole
and this bolt would have likely broke
Putting me in the ditch

If I was lucky.
This is now a

"What NOT to do" thread
PFF
System Bot
Coolkoolpyle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2020 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolkoolpyleSend a Private Message to CoolkoolpyleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Coolkoolpyle

55 posts
Member since Sep 2020
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2020 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yikes! That is really scary and bad....That is not the right location for a coil-over system...It can handle shock duties but not the spring forces......
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2020 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

Yikes! That is really scary and bad....That is not the right location for a coil-over system...It can handle shock duties but not the spring forces......

Seeing disasters like this is why I prefer to avoid modified used cars... bone stock is my preference.
ltlfrari

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2020 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

Seeing disasters like this is why I prefer to avoid modified used cars... bone stock is my preference.

A lot of the time you don't really know what you are buying, even when you know all the main trouble spots, there's a lot that's easy to miss, and this is his first Fiero.
Still, he's found it and hopefully will be able to save yet another one from the bodge it school of repair!

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2020 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can't believe someone did this. Wow.... Talk about hokey.

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave