Paddle shifter............ by donj
Started on: 09-21-2020 02:22 AM
Replies: 10 (518 views)
Last post by: Neils88 on 11-02-2020 02:00 PM
donj

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2020 02:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donjSend a Private Message to donjEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone figured a way to put a paddle shifter on a manual transmission?

I'm doing a 3.4l DOHC swap and figured if there Is a way better, to research it now. I went through the archives and the only posts were on the automatic transmission
I will be using the stock 5 speed from the 87 GT.

Any thoughts
Tia

Donj
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2020 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by donj:

NOT possible with this transmission.
https://www.autolist.com/gu...-are-paddle-shifters

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 09-21-2020).]

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2020 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm doing a 3.4l DOHC swap and figured if there Is a way better, to research it now. I went through the archives and the only posts were on the automatic transmission

Any thoughts
Tia

Donj

I haven't done it on a Fiero transmission, but I'd think it's doable, provided that you have welding/machining skills and other general knowledge.

Probably with a 50k budget, a person with the right know-how could do it.

Depends also if you just want the paddle shifters (i.e. a drum shifter like a motorcycle), or automatic clutch control as well; that's another level of complexity.

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 09-21-2020).]

donj

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2020 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donjSend a Private Message to donjEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I remember seeing an article some where, they were using compressed air to move the shift lever..........I remember it was on a drag bike!

But its kind of the same thing. possibly two opposing solenoids offset at a 45deg angle from the shifting shaft,one pushing (or pulling) clockwise and the other pushing (or pulling) counterclockwise. I suppose the clutch could be involved but that seems to be a real doppelganger. An interesting thought though I wonder how the big guy's do it

Anyone out there own a big buck car w/paddle shifter care to explain how their car shifts?

Why will this not work on the 5 speed? inquiring minds want to know...........

Donj
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2020 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You'd need to have a sequential gearbox then you can add the paddle shifters. It's basically an up-down pattern instead of a side to side.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 09-21-2020).]

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2020 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I suppose the clutch could be involved but that seems to be a real doppelganger. An interesting thought though I wonder how the big guy's do it

The truck transmission setup I know of uses a double-acting pneumatic cylinder with a shift fork attached to the piston rod. Air solenoids supply compressed air to either end of the cylinder, while venting the opposing end.

Each shift rail has a linear position sensor. When the transmission is assembled, each shift rail is shifted forwards, backwards, and set to neutral. The TCM learns each of these positions.

It is critically important that the TCM only attempt to send torque through the transmission when it is fully in gear. A half-shifted gear could be damaged if one attempts to send torque through it. The shift rail sensors are important to know when one is in gear and ready to go.

It is also possible to add a mechanical interlock to prevent a fork from moving away from neutral, if any other fork is partially or fully in gear. This is to avoid an accidental transbrake situation...

Depending on the type of rail position sensor, if they're all using the same method of sensing (such as magnetic), you'll need to be on the lookout for crosstalk between the sensors. Also, solenoids generate magnetic fields, and they can interfere with magnetic position sensors, so watch out for that too. Getting electronics to work inside a hot transmission needs care.

Shifting is naturally a constant-force type of activity, so compressed air lends itself to that. But on a car if you don't have compressed air readily available, I guess you could try to do something electric.

********************************************************************************

The clutch is better controlled with position. You can use an electric motor and ballscrew arrangement to replace the slave cylinder. You need a fast-accelerating motor for good clutch control.

As long as you make the screw long enough, you can dispense with a clutch adjustment mechanism. With a long enough screw, the clutch release movement works in one section of the screw, and as the clutch wears down, the back-and-forth movement shifts along the screw. Plan for enough screw length for the clutch lifetime.

You can expect to use a linear position sensor to measure the actuator rod movement, and control the motor with feedback.

Why will this not work on the 5 speed? inquiring minds want to know...........

I don't see why a Fiero 5-speed couldn't be automated.

That said, I don't have experience with passenger-car "automated manuals". I really dislike the term automated manual... it's an oxymoron. If you can put it in drive, it's an automatic.

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 09-21-2020).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2020 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I wonder how the big guy's do it

The trans has to be built with this in mind.
It's not an easy "add-on" as some might think.
https://auto.howstuffworks....tch-transmission.htm

If someone really wants this, they'd need to find a suitable DCT transaxle to swap in along with the computers to run the thing.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 09-22-2020).]

donj

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2020 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donjSend a Private Message to donjEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well it was a nice thought......

thanks for the information everyone.

Donj
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2020 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been doing extensive research on this recently, and I think there are a few good options out there, with the top one being the DQ250 trans. It would take a fairly cheap custom controller ($800 last I knew) to run it and an adapter plate of some sort, but it would be worth it and bulletproof behind a well worked over LQ1.

Iain

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2020 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IainSend a Private Message to IainEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To answer the OP.

Yes. You certainly CAN control gear shifting of a manual gearbox with buttons/paddles.

People have been doing so since the 70's in the UK. Various articles over the years covered it, either vans or classic cars where the owner had become disabled for one reason or another. There were even a couple of companies who did it commercially in the 90's.

There was a really good site that showed exactly how to do it but the owner died in the early 2000's, so I'm afraid it's gone.

From memory:

You need hydraulic actuators, or, rams, and a method of controlling them.

1 ram for the clutch, either directly to the gearbox, or, acting on the pedal. Controlled by both a switch on the steering wheel and the paddles. You either need to program in a delay as it rises to take away/traffic, or you use a potentiometer in the button, or one bloke had enough strength/movement in his ankle to let the clutch up, but used the button to depress it/hold it down. Goes without saying if you use a ram on the pedal, your bracket or welding must be first class, last thing you want is a chunk of metal fired at your nuts.

1, or more rams for side to side movement
1, or more, for fore/aft. Depends on where reverse is.

A controller, computer, micro processor, magic box, call it what you will.

Since the Fiero uses cables, the whole thing could be mounted in the engine bay. From what I remember, people had an easier time with cables, replacing the plastic bushes with brass, since NVH is no longer a consideration, but more precise movement is.
The articles where the rams were mounted in the cabin, all stressed covers were required, otherwise fingers could quickly become f!6ner5, mangled and rearranged. One bloke carried a spare gear lever, his system had managed to snap one off when it malfunctioned.

Google Guy Martin, robocar, I'm certain one of his projects had his manual Transit van automated for one of the programs, may be on youtube.

Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2020 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I happen to be working on this very system on my Aventador project. Unfortunately I'm currently homeless until we finish construction on the new house (about May 2021). So it's on hold for now. Automation of a cable shift mechanism is a basic, and well documented system. Automation of the clutch is much more complicated... though still quite doable. A badly tuned control system will definitely result in an early demise of the clutch.

I'll be setting up the paddle cable control system in conjunction with a manual clutch at first. Eventually I'll finish off by automating the clutch.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock