Need Help with 3.4 v6 Engine by Ceez11
Started on: 09-14-2020 02:10 PM
Replies: 16 (380 views)
Last post by: Blacktree on 09-16-2020 12:10 PM
Ceez11

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2020 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ceez11Send a Private Message to Ceez11Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Need help. (Posible electrical/spark issue).

When I turn the engine on, it make a loud ticking sound, like spark sound. When the Plug cable number 6 is unplugged, the sound goes away.

Things that have been done
1. Swapped the spark plug
2. Swapped the spark plug cable
3. Changed the coil
4 changed the ignition coil plate.

Any ideas is greatly appreciated.

Link to Video on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/ce...s/10223511010114085/

[This message has been edited by Ceez11 (edited 09-14-2020).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2020 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Look for an exhaust leak on that cylinder. Yes....exhaust leaks can make a ticking sound even though that seems odd.

Welcome to the Forum!

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 09-14-2020).]

Ceez11

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2020 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ceez11Send a Private Message to Ceez11Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Look for an exhaust leak on that cylinder. Yes....exhaust leaks can make a ticking sound even though that seems odd.

Welcome to the Forum!

My buddy and I also checked for exhaust leaks and replaced one of the manifolds that was cracked.

The sound occours when spark plug wire number 3 is connected, when I unplug the wire the sound goes away and of course it runs crappy.

The issue began with lossing power/ compression maybe? And then it escalated to a loud sparking sound comming from the air intake.

I hope this gives a better understanding of the issue.

Thank you for the welcome.

------------------
Cesar G

[This message has been edited by Ceez11 (edited 09-14-2020).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2020 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wait... so is it cylinder #6 or #3? Also, the fakebook link says "content not available".

Anyway, a ticking noise coming from the intake area could also be a bad lifter. You could try a relative compression test. The cylinder with the bad lifter should have less compression than the rest.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2020 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ceez11:

Link to Video on Facebook

You'd make the video accessible to a lot more people if you uploaded it to YouTube. You'd also be able to embed the video right here in your post.

I'm not familiar with how those coil packs are wired/numbered, but are you sure you don't have some of the plug wires connected to the wrong plugs?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 09-14-2020).]

Ceez11

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2020 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ceez11Send a Private Message to Ceez11Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

You'd make the video accessible to a lot more people if you uploaded it to YouTube. You'd also be able to embed the video right here in your post.

I'm not familiar with how those coil packs are wired/numbered, but are you sure you don't have some of the plug wires connected to the wrong plugs?

Here is the video from YouTube https://youtu.be/WKPrVzoDqEw

------------------
Cesar G

Ceez11

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2020 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ceez11Send a Private Message to Ceez11Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ceez11

4 posts
Member since Sep 2020

Originally posted by Blacktree:

Wait... so is it cylinder #6 or #3? Also, the fakebook link says "content not available".

Anyway, a ticking noise coming from the intake area could also be a bad lifter. You could try a relative compression test. The cylinder with the bad lifter should have less compression than the rest.

It is cylinder #6. Tha should be our next step. We did looked at all lifters but we didn’t do a compression test.

------------------
Cesar G

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2020 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The tick does not follow engine RPMs!.....it's more like a miss in the high voltage.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 09-14-2020).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2020 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ceez11:

Here is the video from YouTube

Not sure how you ended up uploading a postage stamp sized video?

cmechmann

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2020 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is back firing into the intake. If you are sure that your spark plug wires are in correct firing order, you have a valve problem. Could be exhaust rocker has popped off. intake valve too tight. If it had been sitting along time, rust on the valve seat.
First, check compression. What is the overall pressures. If all are near but low, flakey timing chain. If one is lower than the rest, you found what cylinder it is. Then take the valve cover off that side. Check the rockers. Check for broken valve spring. Then have someone crank it while you watch to see if all are raised by the cam. If you don't find anything by that time, the head is going to have to come off.

[This message has been edited by cmechmann (edited 09-14-2020).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2020 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

COILPACK INFO (from Here)

2.8L, 3.1L, 3.4L SFI, 3.4 DOHC, 3100 V6 & 3400 V6 coil pack:

PFF
System Bot
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2020 02:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, I got a chance to watch the video. That's not a lifter, so ignore my previous post. As mentioned above, that sounds like backfiring thru the intake. Chances are, the spark plug wires got mixed up.

I can also corroborate what Patrick posted above, since I also have a 3.4 V6 with DIS.

Best of luck!
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2020 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, It would be nice if the two pictures of the coil pack numbers agreed with each other, but no........there is still a problem.
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2020 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They do agree with each other. I swapped the 1 and 4 on the one coil, to make the spark plug wires nice and neat. With a waste spark system, you can do that.
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2020 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

OK, I got a chance to watch the video. That's not a lifter, so ignore my previous post. As mentioned above, that sounds like backfiring thru the intake. Chances are, the spark plug wires got mixed up.

I can also corroborate what Patrick posted above, since I also have a 3.4 V6 with DIS.

Best of luck!

Just as an aside, could you please post a picture of your complete intake? Also, I didn't realize the 3.4 Camaro engine could be run via DIS (I thought that was the 3400) ...
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2020 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Camaro/Firebird 3.4 was factory DIS.
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2020 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't want to derail the thread, so just a quick response. Yes, the F-body 3.4 came with DIS. It also came with sequential injection!

Also, here's a link to the intake build: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/000049-14.html

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock