sunroof weatherstrip installation by sledcaddie
Started on: 08-25-2020 05:08 PM
Replies: 5 (827 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 11-15-2020 02:15 PM
sledcaddie

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2020 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sledcaddieSend a Private Message to sledcaddieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay, I did this before on a previous Fiero, and got excess adhesive on myself and the car. I have not found any good instructions or videos on replacing the weatherstrip.

Is the adhesive applied to the tracks and car body opening before installing the rubber into the tracks? I believe I previously glued the rubber to the tracks, then tried to apply adhesive between the car body and the weatherstrip. The Fiero Store section-drawing A-A shows adhesive applied to the middle of the track, and along the top/outer edge of the track. If adhesive is applied first, are you still able to push the rubber into the tracks? I guess I am asking for a sequence of installation. Am I making this too difficult?

Weatherstrip adhesive comes in yellow or black. Any preference?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Rjberner46

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2020 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rjberner46Send a Private Message to Rjberner46Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
did you ever get a reply from anyone? I have leak issues and whistling issues. I bought some stainless tracks I plan on installing and am going to try and use the original seal. If you have any tips I'd appreciate it.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2020 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Before you go through the trouble of replacing the sunroof weatherstripping, try two things first.

1) Remove the sunroof panel from the car, and make sure the drain holes in each corner of the sunroof opening are not plugged.

2) While the sunroof panel is out... clean the rubber weatherstrip, and then apply castor oil to revitalize and slightly swell it.

You may now find you don't need to replace the sunroof weatherstripping.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 11-16-2020).]

OldGuyinaGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2020 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OldGuyinaGTSend a Private Message to OldGuyinaGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Coincidence for me that this should come up. I just bought new weatherstrip for the sunroof on my 88 GT, planning on replacing it when I paint the roof (clear coat is pretty chalky).

My factory manual says something on the matter, but not much. There's a not real informative Figure 14, but maybe with the text it's enough to answer the question --

VENT GLASS WEATHERSTRIP
Install or Connect
1. Adhesive to gutter (40)
2. Adhesive to weatherstrip (35)
3. Allow adhesive to become tacky before installing weatherstrip.
4 Apply a bead of adhesive between outboard periphery of weatherstrip
and body opening (41) to prevent water seepage. Do not plug drain holes.
5 Watertest with a soft spray of warm or hot water.
donuteater306

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2020 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Food for thought.

Several years back, in prep for painting my car, I bought a new gasket from Pontiac and I tore out the old one. I spent hours and hours cleaning out all of the old adhesive from the tracks, then once the paint was finished, I applied new black 3M weatherstrip adhesive exactly how the factory manual shows to do so. I also enlarged the drain holes per the TSB. No matter what I did, I could never get the rear portion of the glass to pull tight against the seal. I eventually gave-up and bought a used gasket from a wrecking yard. Cleaned out all of the old (new) adhesive and installed the used gasket. I get a lot of wind noise at higher speeds, but no water leaks.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2020 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The front and rear of the weatherstrip are shaped differently. Aftermarket seals I've seen aren't marked in any way to indicate which is which. I found that the front should stand up a bit in front of the glass, between the body and glass so that the front edge of the glass nestles against the seal when the sunroof is closed. The rear edge sits a bit lower. The first one I installed backward and it whistled and leaked. Even let the rain come in at the front while driving. Once I reversed it, the problems went away and I never used any form of adhesive.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock