Clutch won't disengage by Saggy
Started on: 08-21-2020 09:05 AM
Replies: 3 (256 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 08-21-2020 04:41 PM
Saggy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2020 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SaggySend a Private Message to SaggyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 1984 Fiero SE. when I got it, the provious owner said I had to pump the clutch to get it too work, and thats why it had been sitting for 3 years. I bled the clutch line and it worked just fine. Then, once I dealt with some other bits to get it on the road, I learned the issue was the system was leaking. I found the spot where it was leaking, right at the bottom of the flare connecting the line to the slave cylinder. I cut off the end of that leaky line, and flared it. I re attached it and bled the system thoroughly. Now I cannot get the clutch to disengage, and it will grind if i try to put it into gear. It seems I'm still getting movement, and when I started it I was in reverse with the clutch and brake in. It started right up, but was still pulling some. I have no idea what to do next, I just can't figure it out, and I was hoping someone could help me out.

Edit: i tried it today and it seems like letting it sit fixed the issue. The friction point is super close to the floor, but i can get it in and out of gear. It did this before when I first got it. Driving it around brought the friction point back up to a normal spot. So I'll drive it around a bit and see if that helps. I need to reset my new Idle air controll valve anyways.

Edit: it looks like it just had too much fluid in the reservoir it likes to be halfway between the add and full lines. I hope this helps someone.

[This message has been edited by Saggy (edited 08-21-2020).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
imacflier

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2020 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ah, yes....the infamous slave cylinder is not really bled problem! Well known and VERY common.

For a first step go to http://www.v8archie.com/v8Archie/ToC6.htm and read how he bleeds a slave cylinder....use it!

It is only a temporary fix, though. The slave cylinder is a hopeless design, bound to lose its bleed. The permanent fix is to replace it with Rodney Dickman's Slave here: http://rodneydickman.com/pr...age=1&products_id=66 Scroll down to read his write up on bleeding, as well.

I firmly believe this is the only lasting fix to your problem!

Larry
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2020 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by imacflier:

The permanent fix is to replace it with Rodney Dickman's Slave

The 84 slave cylinder and bracket is unique - he'd need this one.
http://rodneydickman.com/pr....php?products_id=303

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 08-21-2020).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2020 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Before Rodney came along with his dual-seal slaves, it was a dark dismal world for manual tranny Fiero owners.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock