Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Is the charge warning light in the dash, or in the center pod (with the volt meter)?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Is the charge warning light in the dash, or in the center pod (with the volt meter)? by Patrick
Started on: 08-10-2020 09:56 PM
Replies: 11 (429 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 08-15-2020 04:06 PM
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2020 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It might be a coincidence, but my Formula's alternator appears to have stopped charging shortly after I had totally removed my dash, gauges, center pod, etc and then reinstalled it all.

I've driven the car several times since then, and the volt meter was showing proper voltage. However, today I started getting noise on the car's radio (going up and down with engine revs) and later on noticed the volt meter was indicating just barely above the red. I knew I was on borrowed time, and drove straight home... and almost made it. The car died half a block from my driveway, with the battery deader than dead. Anyway, I got the car home with another battery.

The Formula, being an '88, has a CS alternator. If I understand correctly, the CS alternator still requires a charge/alternator warning light in order to get "excited" and start charging. I'm aware that some of the warning lights don't work in my dash (such as the seat belt warning light), but I'm not sure if the alternator warning light is located with the rest of the warning lights in the dash... or is the alternator warning light in the accessory center pod with the volt meter?

I should know better... but electrical knowledge has never been my strong suit, so any advice with this is appreciated. I want to obviously check what I can while the alternator is still in the car... before I scrape up all my knuckles to take it out.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 08-11-2020).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2020 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From 88 FSM. Looks like only the Duke has an indicator bulb. V6s have the voltage gauge.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 08-11-2020).]

cebix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2020 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is from the '86 manual and it's there in the cluster. The alternator wiring looks different though. Maybe you don't need that light.

[This message has been edited by cebix (edited 08-11-2020).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2020 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks guys, for the feedback.

Originally posted by fierosound:

From 88 FSM. Looks like only the Duke has an indicator bulb.

Tony, how or where is it indicated in your diagram that only the Duke has an indicator bulb?

Originally posted by fierosound:

V6s have the voltage gauge.

Does that necessarily rule out that the indicator bulb might not possibly be located with the voltage gauge in the Rally Gauge Panel (as the diagrams refer to it as)?

Originally posted by cebix:

This is from the '86 manual and it's there in the cluster. The alternator wiring looks different though.

Yes, the wiring is different as the earlier Fieros have SI alternators, whereas the 88's have a CS alternator.

Maybe you don't need that light.

This is what I'm unsure of. I don't want to be replacing an alternator if it's just because a 5¢ light bulb isn't working.

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2020 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Light is in the dash. OEM Volt meter has nothing to do w/ turn on the alt.

SI and most CS conversions and some OEM CS need the bulb to work. Think 88 Fiero V6 still needs this.
Some CS setups has "Extra" wire to turn on the alt w/ Alt Bulb dead like 87-88 dukes.
See my Cave, CS Alternator

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2020 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

SI and most CS conversions and some OEM CS need the bulb to work. Think 88 Fiero V6 still needs this.

Alright, I'll start poking around the dash/instrument cluster to see why all the warning lights aren't coming on. Thanks Ogre.

One side note to this situation. My Formula was actually pulled out of a forest six years or so ago. Among other things, it was missing its instrument cluster. I have a lot of different Fiero components here, and I installed an instrument cluster from... oh, I dunno... possibly an '86 GT. I wonder if there are some slight variations to these clusters that might be preventing all my warning lights from coming on. Just a thought. I know for a fact that some of the clusters I have here, probably from earlier 4-banger Fieros, the individual warning lights are in different locations within the cluster.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2020 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Some CS setups has "Extra" wire to turn on the alt w/ Alt Bulb dead like 87-88 dukes.
See my Cave, CS Alternator

The following are screen grabs of Ogre's site. Even though my dash warning lights do not include a lit/functioning bulb for the charging system, I still get 12v (with key ON) indicated on both the L and I terminals. Am I correct to assume that the bulb is not then required with my charging system... as if it was, I don't believe the L terminal would've had any power?

I've now pulled the alternator. The problem with these CS alternators is, although they're more efficient than SI alternators, they're not serviceable like the SI alternators are. Instead of paying five bucks to easily replace something like a diode trio, I'll probably have to replace the entire alternator. That kind of sucks.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 08-12-2020).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2020 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

36402 posts
Member since Apr 99

After reading over various articles on these alternators, it's finally sunk in that the CS alternator in my Formula is directly related to the alternator in my '87 L4 Fiero... which I'm in the process of stripping down. Yes, it's a CS alternator in the '87 duke. Obviously it's not a direct swap, as the mounting "ears" on the front plate are in different locations than what is required for a V6 installation. However, the back half, which contains the stator and all the electronics (rectifier, regulator, etc) appears to physically be the same. And I know this alternator worked properly when this Fiero was "retired".

So... would there be any reason why I couldn't just take the back half of the alternator from the L4 and transplant it to the V6 alternator? Would there be any compatibility issue between stators and rotors and/or electronics?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2020 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

36402 posts
Member since Apr 99
I've done some further research, and have determined that both the regulator and the rectifier are the same in both the '88 V6 and '87 L4 alternators.

I'll report back once I have everything back together and hopefully functional again.

Rectifier

Regulator

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 08-12-2020).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2020 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Success!

While doing my research on these CS alternators, I came across a thread Here by some dork named Patrick from 1999. He had this to say about replacing the alternator in his '87 L4 Fiero...

Originally posted by Patrick:

I went to a local auto wrecker and got an alternator that must have been rebuilt just before whatever car it was in got cracked up. Really great condition. (The alternator, not the donor car.) Fifty bucks.

Of course, that was me... but it got me wondering... whatever happened to that alternator when I retired the '87 Fiero a couple years later? I still have that Fiero... in pieces. The alternator was not on the engine... but after pulling a bunch of assorted parts out of the trunk, there it was, sitting on the bottom of the trunk for almost 20 years ... the alternator!

So this is the alternator that I took the back half (stator, rectifier, regulator, etc) from and transferred it to the front half (rotor, pulley, etc) of the alternator from my Formula.

Started the car up... charges at 14 point something volts. A rebuilt alternator sourced locally (if they even have the proper one in stock) would've been around $150.

I'm a happy camper.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 08-14-2020).]

cebix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2020 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad that you got it running again. Just wanted to answer your question about where it says in the manual that only the duke uses the charging light. It says it right on the schematic below the charging bulb (L4 VIN R only).
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2020 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It says it right on the schematic below the charging bulb (L4 VIN R only).

Argh, small print. I really really need to be wearing my glasses more often when on the forum. Thanks.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock