Calling all clutch experts! by Ditkaphile 2016
Started on: 07-31-2020 08:11 AM
Replies: 7 (265 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 07-31-2020 08:52 PM
Ditkaphile 2016

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2020 08:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Ditkaphile 2016Send a Private Message to Ditkaphile 2016Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok folks I need some advice. Looking at an '87 with the Iron Duke and a 5 speed. It's been sitting outside for 5 or 6 years. Surprisingly it doesn't have much rust, as it hasn't been exposed to salt, and it was in great condition before it was parked due to a hole in the gas tank.
I sat in it, and tried to push in the clutch. The pedal wouldn't go down. With a little more effort, it finally did. But then the pedal remained down at the floor board and didn't return to its normal position. I also noticed that the hydraulic line running the length of the underside of the car is hanging down.
Looking for thoughts, diagnosis, etc.
Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2020 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can get a replacement clutch lines from The Fiero Store. Pricey at nearly $200 plus shipping. They take a bit of work to get them installed. A lift is essential for this operation. Rodney Dickman sells the best master cylinder and slave cylinders on the market. All total, you would have about $350 or so in parts.

Advance advice when replacing the clutch master cylinder. The pushrod will give you the impression of a bad clutch system if it's installed incorrectly. It has a curl on it at the point where it attaches to the pedal. That curl shoud be upward like so ________0
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2020 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ditkaphile 2016:

Surprisingly it doesn't have much rust, as it hasn't been exposed to salt, and it was in great condition before it was parked due to a hole in the gas tank.

Yup. Body won't rust.

You need to look in trunk and get under and check out the steel spaceframe.
https://youtu.be/RLqZN4LC80k

.------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 07-31-2020).]

Ditkaphile 2016

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2020 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ditkaphile 2016Send a Private Message to Ditkaphile 2016Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That much I know, fierosound. I've actually owned 6 Fieros. I was referring to what's underneath. Theere are a few rusty spots, but overall it's pretty good.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2020 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ditkaphile 2016:

Theere are a few rusty spots, but overall it's pretty good.

Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2020 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

Advance advice when replacing the clutch master cylinder. The pushrod will give you the impression of a bad clutch system if it's installed incorrectly. It has a curl on it at the point where it attaches to the pedal. That curl shoud be upward like so ________0

In addition to making sure the banjo is installed in the correct orientation, you may have to extend the pushrod by a few turns. I have never installed a "Rodney" master cylinder that I didn't have to adjust the pushrod "longer", in order to get correct travel at the slave.
Nothing wrong with that. As Charlie said, Rodney sells the best master and slave cylinders in the industry. No question. Just recognize that you might have to do it.
(OTOH, it may have been an anomaly with my clutch pedals, trannies, or clutch setup. Nothing that I own, or have owned, is stock.)

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 07-31-2020).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2020 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

In addition to making sure the banjo is installed in the correct orientation, you may have to extend the pushrod by a few turns. I have never installed a "Rodney" master cylinder that I didn't have to adjust the pushrod "longer", in order to get correct travel at the slave.

I wouldn't be surprised if the banjo purposely comes adjusted a bit short... to eliminate any chance of the master piston bottoming out on first use after installation.

For anyone installing an adjustable clutch master for the first time... you usually want as much clutch "stroke"/slave travel as possible*, but the clutch pedal should contact the floor before the master reaches the end of its travel.

I'll echo the sentiment that Rodney Dickman's Fiero parts are all top notch.

*The Getrag 5-spd doesn't seem to require as much "stroke" and can actually experience disengagement issues with too much slave travel... so only adjust the banjo length as much as is required for ideal clutch disengagement.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 08-01-2020).]

fierofool

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2020 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a Rodney Dickman slave and master cylinder. Stock pushrod on the master cylinder works flawlessly. It didn't come with an adjustable rod, but then I've had it in my car for probably 10 years. Maybe it was before he started including the adjustable rod.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock