Newbie questions by naughtrick
Started on: 07-30-2020 02:12 PM
Replies: 9 (276 views)
Last post by: yamaha94 on 08-01-2020 09:15 AM
naughtrick

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2020 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for naughtrickSend a Private Message to naughtrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Newbie to the Fiero world here. I just took home a 1985 2M6.
I suppose I'll have plenty of questions for the Forum Members, but I'll start off slow.
My wipers seem to have a mind of their own, going off whenever I hit a bump or activate the turn signal. Can someone provide some advise as to a solution?
I plan on redoing my front suspension this winter, can anyone recommend a parts supplier for the Toronto area?
Thanks, Rick
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2020 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the Forum!

Do a search for 'Phantom Wipe' to learn about that problem. Make sure to include the archives in your search.

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2020 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Quickly... Use search for more...
85+ Motor has a Delay Board on it under plastic cover and many times the board is bad.
"Fix Kits" or whatever to fix the board may work but often doesn't help now or down the road. Get New board from any part stores often as a "Dorman" part.

Sometimes is the Column Switch or maybe both. new switch are not made but can use a "updated" part from another GM trunk. use search.

Note that Motor often have issues/problems that can kill those new E-parts.
1. is iffy motor ground. Is a thin metal "shim" hold by pressure from a "rivet" in rubber mount "bushing." Rubber and/or shim gets crap or rots after years and need work to clean at minimum.
Part of why here...
See my Cave, Electric Motors

2. Motor may have iffy bushes and switch that kill the E-part too. Use search how to test the motor w/o the board. Do Not test motor in the cars on Dry Glass or can wreck the glass, wipers, and other Wiper parts.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2020 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Phantom wipe fix; https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...4/HTML/072371-5.html

Note; I did not get a good connection on the splice and still had the problem...using foul language and then checked and fixed connection (And no phantom wipes now)

Suspension; I went with Moog ball joints and bushings. (Note; Apparently Moog does not make the upper anymore)
Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2020 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
AS Ogre said. sometimes is the Column Switch id faulty. You can't get direct replacement switches anymore but I used a wiper switch from a Chevy S-10. I also replaced the control board. These fixes worked for me.

------------------
Mike in Sydney

naughtrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2020 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for naughtrickSend a Private Message to naughtrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the replies folks. I went through the archives, and looked into possible fixes. The Dorman board is available but sells for about $60 here + shipping. I PM'd Chief to see if he's still selling his fix, which sounds like a better bet.
I think I'm going to order Moog suspension parts from Rockauto. I've used them numerous times.
Akheron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2020 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AkheronSend a Private Message to AkheronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For the suspension parts, I would check out Rodneydickman.com. He sells good quality ball joints (as well as other suspension parts) for Fieros.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2020 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Rick! If you're interested in meeting some Toronto area Fiero owners, you could join the Ontario Fieros WhatsApp group.
Search yamaha94 for contact info.
Zentaury

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2020 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZentaurySend a Private Message to ZentauryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, yamaha94 (I guess he is fiero86 on Instagram) does a fixing for the wipers.

Regards from the other side of Canada, and welcome to the addiction!
yamaha94

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2020 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yamaha94Send a Private Message to yamaha94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks David and Zentury for the recommendations. Its 86FieroGT on instagram. Close! LOL

I sent you a PM Rick. Welcome!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock