Lights and A/C by 88 Formula Bruce
Started on: 07-29-2020 10:30 AM
Replies: 6 (124 views)
Last post by: 88 Formula Bruce on 07-29-2020 02:37 PM
88 Formula Bruce

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2020 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 Formula BruceSend a Private Message to 88 Formula BruceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Background: I brought my 88 Formula, which I purchased new in 1988, to a repair shop in Pensacola at the beginning of June as I couldn’t keep it running. (I intended to drive it back to Wisconsin where it’s spent its entire life except for the previous 7-1/2 months at that time, mostly stored, but it wasn’t ready until 10 days ago.) I could hear the fuel pump running, but it wasn’t getting fuel.

Now after dropping the gas tank, replacing the pump and sending unit, ECM, installing SS brake lines and repairing and investigating other issues I’m going to pick it up tomorrow and will drive it back to Wisconsin during daylight hours. Hopefully it won’t be raining as the A/C isn’t working.

I plan to replace the headlight motors so I can use the headlights when back in Wisconsin. I’m wondering if anyone can point our concerns I should be aware of before ordering new motors.

I’ve watched a YouTube video regarding replacement of A/C components. I’m not sure I’ll take that on, but am looking for advice on that repair also.

Thank you

[This message has been edited by 88 Formula Bruce (edited 07-29-2020).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2020 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So why are you replacing the headlight motors? Are you sure there is something wrong with them. If not working often the problem is the control module.
I've never taken an gen 2 motor apart but believe there are little shock bumpers in the gear mechansim that pretty much just fall apart over time. Rodney Dickman sells replacements.

As for the a/c 'not working'. That usually means there is no refrigerant but that in itself can lead to other problems the worst of which is known as 'black death'. Only way to tell is to remove the orifice tube and look at it. If covered in black gunge then the whole system needs flushing and the compressor, accumulator and condenser need to be replaced, the whole system purged or air and filled with the correct amount of lubricant and refrigerant (R-134).

If it just needs a charge and was never converted then you might get away with refilling it with R12 but be warned that R12 is VERY expensive as it is no longer being made (affects ozone layer and all that).

While a/c systems 'look' simple (it's just a pile of tubes and a pump), they are not. Just getting the system to seal is a job and a half!
If you can find a REALLY GOOD shop to work on it then that might be the better option for the a/c but be warned, most 'regular' shops know how to purge/fill the system but that's about it and with Fieros being 35 ish years old, nobody has the doc or knowledge any more either.

Anyway, all that side, good luck and welcome to the forum, the happiest 'Fiero' place on earth!

Dave E

[This message has been edited by ltlfrari (edited 07-29-2020).]

88 Formula Bruce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2020 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 Formula BruceSend a Private Message to 88 Formula BruceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for your reply Dave.

Tell me more about your thoughts regarding the lights. They just don't open. I used to be able to get one to open, but I've driven it very little of late, and not at all at night of course. My recollection was that I could hear them trying to open. What would be my experience if it were the control module just needing to be replaced? I saw on The Fiero Store the cost of an OEM module is $675!

I'm a pretty capable person, I was a design/build contractor for about 35 years, but have not worked on vehicles much since rebuilding the low end, or removing the 1600cc engine from my 1966 Volkswagen for rebuilding by a shop, after cylinder #3 overheated and through a rod back in college. I am now retired, but have many building projects both in Wisconsin and on the Florida home as well as a sailboat requiring attention. I expect I will have the A/C work completed by the shop here in Wisconsin that removed the compressor and lost it 6-7 years ago. It will be a complete do over.

I also would like to get the cruise control working again. I forgot to mention that last time.

Any help to this novice automotive mechanic is appreciated.

Thanks again.

[This message has been edited by 88 Formula Bruce (edited 07-29-2020).]

ltlfrari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2020 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Heres' a couple of videos on gen2 headlight motor repair. I've not watched them in detail, just flipped through them but should help some.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m0n5xewcn8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEbRMW57bF0

Use the search function at the top of the forum section page to search for 'headlight module'. Lots of hits. I am sure I've seen a post on here before about testing the module but not seeing it right now.
88 Formula Bruce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2020 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 Formula BruceSend a Private Message to 88 Formula BruceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks again. Hopefully, if it's the module, I can find one for less than $675.
ltlfrari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2020 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is the video I was looking for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuX6an9MJe0

If the tops are spinning but the headlights are not coming up then it's either stripped gears or, as in this video, the bumper pads have disintegrated.
If they the motors are trying to turn/turning then it does not sound, at least initially, like the module to me (but I am no expert!)

Dave E
88 Formula Bruce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2020 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 Formula BruceSend a Private Message to 88 Formula BruceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks again Dave. I'll check that one out.

Bruce

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock