Steering Wheel replacement by 85fieroguy
Started on: 07-27-2020 09:42 PM
Replies: 5 (468 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 08-02-2020 05:23 PM
85fieroguy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2020 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85fieroguySend a Private Message to 85fieroguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Want to install a " flat bottom" style racing steering wheel, that is a 12" dia. ( believe the stock 85GT is 13"). Could use the extra room on my knees . Has anyone done this? I think you need an adapter . Any info would be appreciated.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2020 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, you need an adapter. Whatever brand steering wheel you buy, that company should make an adapter hub. I used a Momo on mine:
85fieroguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2020 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85fieroguySend a Private Message to 85fieroguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
could I trouble you for the part numbers for the complete set up ?? Also, with a adapter..does the steering wheel extend closer to you than the distance of the stock set up?? ( need the bottom room primarily)
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2020 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85fieroguy:

could I trouble you for the part numbers for the complete set up ?? Also, with a adapter..does the steering wheel extend closer to you than the distance of the stock set up?? ( need the bottom room primarily)

It extends slightly closer to you. Here is the adapter:
https://www.amazon.com/84-8...dapter/dp/B008TZPEKO

The wheel is a Corse Sport. I don't know if they still make that style and used they sell for about $220 but the wheel is up to you. Any Momo with 6 holes will fit the adapter.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 07-27-2020).]

88Fingers

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2020 07:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FingersSend a Private Message to 88FingersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey 85fieroguy, check out Fiero Fred on YouTube. I made that wheel from an old GT Wheel by cutting off the loop and having a machine shop bend some 3/4" tubing with flat bottom and weld it. Then I took it to upholstery place to have it padded and leathered. It is a Fiero wheel so it just fits on with no adapter or anything. Original horn button too. Mine is 13" edge to edge and I believe factory was 14.5" edge-edge. Mine is an '88 though with no damper on the steering rack so you may want to go larger dia. for leverage. Your choice though.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2020 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not a big fan of using those steering wheel adapters for reasons pointed out. What I have seen done is the removal of the Fiero steering wheel from the OEM hub and a new steering wheel bolted to that hub. This requires some precise drilling and fitting but the end result looks original.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock