Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Can you tell she's from da nort'? How pooched am I?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Can you tell she's from da nort'? How pooched am I? by IrnDuke
Started on: 07-27-2020 08:20 PM
Replies: 27 (482 views)
Last post by: cvxjet on 08-07-2020 12:22 AM
IrnDuke

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2020 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrnDukeClick Here to Email IrnDukeSend a Private Message to IrnDukeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok...barn find...and its already mine. I got the time to pull the front driver wheel off today to take a look.

I just want to know how long the road is that I am in for. I am hoping this isn't completely hopeless. Anyone out there have any experience in heavy-rust restores? Any sage words of advice?

[This message has been edited by IrnDuke (edited 07-27-2020).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Chris Eddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2020 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris EddyClick Here to Email Chris EddySend a Private Message to Chris EddyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
NEW BRAKE LINES all around..
New bushings on upper and lower, inner and outer tie rods, ball joints, shocks, calipers, hubs, bearings.
Use your torch a lot.
You could powder coat the parts as they are stripped and polished.
Not so bad.
FieroWannaBe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2020 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeClick Here to Email FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
look behind the trunk carpet, look under the car completly: at the floor, and look above where the engine cradle meets the frame.
IrnDuke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2020 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrnDukeClick Here to Email IrnDukeSend a Private Message to IrnDukeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Chris Eddy:
Not so bad.

You give me hope!
IrnDuke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2020 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrnDukeClick Here to Email IrnDukeSend a Private Message to IrnDukeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroWannaBe:

look behind the trunk carpet, look under the car completly: at the floor, and look above where the engine cradle meets the frame.

Yeah, this may be where there is a glimmer of hope. Everything above about 1ft. doesn't seem too bad. The engine and where the engine cradle and frame meet look, dare I say, decent. I'm definitely going to have to weld new lugs into the floor for the seats and get new seat frames...they are completely gone in places...which makes me think there is going to be some floor pan work. Ooof. I'm guessing the gas tank is going to be a goner too.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2020 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IrnDuke:

You give me hope!

That's what this forum is for!...... Just wait 'til Patrick gets here.....
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2020 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am more of the school of thought that even if something is free, sometimes it is better to leave it.

A "free" car that will cost hundreds of hours of labour , lots of parts, lots of trips to the store, etc. is actually very expensive- and still worth a lot less than a car that wasn't a basket case to start with

Me personally, I would grab one that is not rotten and save a bunch of swear words, busted knuckles, rust particles falling into my eyes. etc...

Have fun!
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2020 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Just wait 'til Patrick gets here.....

Hey, I just try and save people grief before they put a whole lot of time and money into a rusted out hulk project.

IrnDuke, this is where you need to be looking...

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 295
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2020 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That front is repairable, but it's the back you need to worry about.

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...160323-2-121544.html

My front end looked about like yours, too

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...160323-2-124766.html
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 549
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2020 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yup, Don't do anything until look at bottom of car and rear frame hidden by rear inner fender.

I just want to know how long the road is that I am in for. I am hoping this isn't completely hopeless. Anyone out there have any experience in heavy-rust restores? Any sage words of advice?
Major rust rot on car frame areas often = junk car but you get fools claiming can "rebuild" them.

Rotten parts that bolt to the car can replace but above pic's is going to Eat time and a lot of money.
Example: You may/likely need a whole front end. Not replacing rubber bushings etc. Top bracket over spring etc rusted bad is a big problem. S-rack can hind "rust" in the rubber mounting.

Many Suspension parts like many bushings have Class 10.9 or better hardware and will need same if cut or heated.
If the bolt etc isn't rusted can split the seem in inner tube and use spray oil and wait for oil to work.
See my Cave, Bushings

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2020 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2020 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
DEFINATELY pull the rear wheels and wheel well liners off both sides and inspect the upper frame rails and cradle mounting spots before you do anything else.
As stated, sometimes its better to cut your losses and find something else. Frames can be fixed or even replaced but it's not quick, easy or cheep unless your good with metal fabrication and welding.
IrnDuke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2020 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrnDukeClick Here to Email IrnDukeSend a Private Message to IrnDukeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the replies everyone!!! I'll try pulling those panels this weekend and taking a look. As I have dug deeper, it seems that most of the damage seems to be confined to the subframe. I'll post results after this weekends dissection and discovery!!!

------------------
Stupidly fearless. 1984 Fiero Sport Coupe #242064

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2020 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

We wanna see lots of pictures!
IrnDuke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2020 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrnDukeClick Here to Email IrnDukeSend a Private Message to IrnDukeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Who was I kidding, "...this weekend". I had to rush out after some delicious Culvers and pull those well covers off. The suspense was killing me. Here's the verdict.

Passenger side has the "normal" battery damage and a few spots in the frame, but doesn't look completely out of the question for some weld patching.

Driver's side is a different story. I am hoping you all can tell me that all hope is not lost and I can repair this. This is a marathon for me, not a sprint, so I am willing to put in time and patience. But, if it really is too far gone then....I guess I'll have to cry uncle. There is a big hole in the trunk bay—no biggie. But, it is these horizontal members next to the suspension that have me a bit worried. Someone give me some hope here.

PASSENGER:

DRIVER:

[This message has been edited by IrnDuke (edited 08-05-2020).]

IMSA GT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 241
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2020 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTClick Here to Email IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ok...barn find...and its already mine.

Time to put it back in the barn.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2020 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleClick Here to Email pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your new acquisition looks to be in about the same shape as RDWPLZ's Fiero, so you're looking at a similar repair job as what he did.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2020 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Time to put it back in the barn.

It is no longer a logical task, but if you love the challenge and have the time, you could save it. I am amazed by the restore that RWDPLZ did on his car, and if you can read and understand his thread and feel you want to do it....good for you. The sensible thing is to part out this car, save your money, and find something requiring less work. (it won't get any better sitting in a barn for more years.... )
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2020 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Someone give me some hope here.

I hope you come to your senses and abandon this particular project. I'm not trying to be mean, but Fieros in much better condition can be had for next to nothing.

Look on the bright side... you've got a parts car now to draw from while restoring a different Fiero.
IrnDuke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2020 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrnDukeClick Here to Email IrnDukeSend a Private Message to IrnDukeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I hope you come to your senses and abandon this particular project.

😆😆😆 touché! Yeah, I am 99% at it being a lost cause although I am looking at frame prices at scrappers....

cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2020 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is a piece of crap. A free piece of crap is still a piece of crap. There are lots of Fieros available for next to nothing in much better shape.

Anything "can" be fixed, but why?? Your time has value. Why invest hundreds of hours just to say "I did it??" Nobody will care..

PFF
System Bot
Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2020 07:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Honestly, cut your losses. Save the parts that can be saved for your next project or part out the car. Depending on what you paid for it, you might make a few bucks. But based on the pictures you've posted, I'd be worried about driving it. The bright side is you'll know what to look for next time.

Good luck with the search.

------------------
Mike in Sydney

[This message has been edited by Mike in Sydney (edited 08-06-2020).]

ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2020 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageClick Here to Email ltlfrariSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine was similar but maybe not tat far gone

Upper frame rail on driver's side

Trunk corner

Rockers

Cut out the rot

Make new rail from box section and weld in

Ditto on rockers, this is the pass side which was much worse then the driver's side above. I sem to recall I just patched the driver's side but this side was gone.

I used what was left of the old trunk corner and some sheet metal to replace the driver's side trunk

Overall it saved the car, or at least kept it going for a few more years. Sold it a year or so later as it had lots of other rust issues and really wasn't long for this world.
I enjoyed doing it as I'd never done that much frame/metal work before but honestly, I wouldn't do it again unless the car was really special to me.
Yours looks to be in much worse shape overall so personally I think you'd be better off finding a better starting point and parting out what you can from this one.

Dave E

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2020 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It isn't as bad as mine if the strut tower hasn't separated from the lower rail yet.

If you can weld, or want to invest in the equipment and learn, go for it. I don't know where people live that they can just go spend a few dollars and 'get another one' but it really isn't practical where this kind of frame rot occurs with the modern cost of shipping and the way Fiero values are right now. You could spend $2000 on another car and $800 in shipping it, and very well end up being in the same predicament.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2020 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleClick Here to Email pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:
I don't know where people live that they can just go spend a few dollars and 'get another one'

Québec, and a willingness to travel 8+ hours to find the right Fiero, including visual on-site inspection? Also the willingness to use up vacation days for the purpose of Fiero shopping.

Here is my $2200 CAD Fiero (this one happened to be 1/2 hour away from my home in Grand-Mère):

Not bad, I got away with three small patches in the trunk, one patch near the battery, and a battery tray replacement. It really didn't need much.

Here we can see the small battery tray area patch I did:

You can get decent for cheap, but I can't say I fully agree with the "scrap it it's rusty" mantra we have here. If we always apply this mantra, well we're encouraging our favorite cars to be scrapped. At some point, to prevent Fieros from going extinct, they must be repaired.

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 08-06-2020).]

IrnDuke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2020 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrnDukeClick Here to Email IrnDukeSend a Private Message to IrnDukeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's the irony of this whole thing....stuck under the rear deck lid. 😂

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2020 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Had to look that one up, apparently they filed for bankruptcy in 1988. Pretty obvious why now

https://en.wikipedia.org/wi...usty_Jones_(company)

"You're gonna want that TruCoat"
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2020 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetClick Here to Email cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

One of my favorite scenes in that great movie (Only Monty Python I can watch)...."None shall pass!"

I really like having a CA Fiero...But I bought it new and have taken care of it (Just never found a wrench to fit the loose nut behind the steering wheel)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock