4T65E-HD No D or 3rd by kafrondorf
Started on: 07-26-2020 10:52 PM
Replies: 4 (660 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 07-28-2020 10:09 AM
kafrondorf

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2020 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kafrondorfSend a Private Message to kafrondorfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I swapped a 3800SC and 4t65e-hd out of a 2001 GTP about 1.5 years ago. Driving was great until about a week ago when drive and 3rd gear went out. I still have R, 2nd and 1st. I've done some research and it appears I have a broken 1-2 forward band. I've searched this forum and unless I'm missing something I haven't found anyone that has had this same issue. I'm wondering if this is normal, can this be fixed with the trans still in the car or is this a drop cradle and remove trans repair? I found these images talking about the 1-2 forward bands at tripleedgeperformance.com and they make this sound like a common issue on the non HD version of this transmission. How similar are these transmissions and has anyone heard of this broken 1-2 forward band issue?
Broken band in Trans -
Broken bands -
Good band in trans -

Any light that can be shed on this would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Kyle
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2020 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How may miles do you have on the transmission? Do you use it hard?

Generally, broken bands in the transmission will mean a transmission-out-of-the-car repair. Can you pull the transmission without dropping the cradle? If you can, pull the tranny and take it to the transmission shop and have it rebuilt. Pulling it out and re-installing it yourself should save you a few bucks. Try to find a shop with a transmission dyno. That way the re-builder can test all the operating parameters like line pressures, flow rates, gear engagement and converter lock-up.

------------------
Mike in Sydney

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2020 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 4T65eHD will need to come out by dropping the cradle and detaching it from the engine. The transmission is not that difficult to rebuild and a complete rebuild kit runs about $100, add in a few more parts like shift solenoids, you are probably around $200. A transmission rebuild is just a parts replacement job but there are lots of parts that need to be put back exactly. If you purchase the rebuild video or rebuild manual it will guide you though the step by step process.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

kafrondorf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2020 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kafrondorfSend a Private Message to kafrondorfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the responses. I had the transmission rebuilt before the swap. I have about 14k miles on the car since the swap. I do not race the car so I'd say it's not driven too hard, but I've had my share of fun with it with the new found power. I was driving it around town and starting noticing some forward movement issues. Then about 3 miles after I first noticed the issues I was at a light turning left and hit the gas and nothing. After sitting at the light for a few minutes I thought to try 3rd, then 2nd and once in 2nd I got forward movement and made it through the light got to the closest parking lot and shut it down. Looks like I'm buying a video and trying my hand at rebuilding my transmission. Thanks, Kyle
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2020 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kafrondorf:

Thanks for the responses. I had the transmission rebuilt before the swap. I have about 14k miles on the car since the swap. I do not race the car so I'd say it's not driven too hard, but I've had my share of fun with it with the new found power. I was driving it around town and starting noticing some forward movement issues. Then about 3 miles after I first noticed the issues I was at a light turning left and hit the gas and nothing. After sitting at the light for a few minutes I thought to try 3rd, then 2nd and once in 2nd I got forward movement and made it through the light got to the closest parking lot and shut it down. Looks like I'm buying a video and trying my hand at rebuilding my transmission. Thanks, Kyle

Kyle, if you choose to rebuild listen to the You Tube videos, buy the repair manual and try to find the repair video. When you disassemble be sure to take pictures every step of the way. You will need a clean solid surface to do the rebuild. The rebuild can be scary for some but its basically just a parts removal and replacement process. The valve body, bolts, pump, sprocket and all other parts must be replaced exactly as they were removed. Keep jars handy for storing the small parts like the pump vanes. Take your time, work slowly, deliberately and you can achieve a successful result. I would start by reading the repair manuals that are available on eBay.
If you trans only has 14K miles since a rebuild then I would imagine that not many parts need replacing. I would allow two days on the bench to insure a proper rebuild.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock