Only 2K RPM Misfire - '84 2m4 Iron Duke by Sanhino
Started on: 07-20-2020 12:48 PM
Replies: 16 (312 views)
Last post by: Sanhino on 08-15-2020 12:24 PM
Sanhino

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2020 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SanhinoSend a Private Message to SanhinoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The title pretty much says it all. The car seems to idle fine and driving seems fine but between 1,900 and 2,100 rpm (and only at that range) it misfires pretty badly. It has a new distributor cap, spark plugs and wires, and ignition coil. Fuel pressure holds solid at 10-11psi throughout.

Anyone have any thoughts on specifically why that range?

Much appreciated!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Nickoman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2020 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NickomanSend a Private Message to NickomanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
May be a bad throttle position sensor. You should be able to back probe it and see what the voltage is while at your troublesome rpms. The voltage should increase as you increase the throttle. see if it jumps around in those ranges. also, see the below link. Ogre shared it with me and its saved me so much time on diagnostics over the years

http://fierocave.shorturl.com/ecmqrg.htm
Sanhino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2020 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SanhinoSend a Private Message to SanhinoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nickoman:

May be a bad throttle position sensor. You should be able to back probe it and see what the voltage is while at your troublesome rpms. The voltage should increase as you increase the throttle. see if it jumps around in those ranges. also, see the below link. Ogre shared it with me and its saved me so much time on diagnostics over the years

http://fierocave.shorturl.com/ecmqrg.htm

That's probably a good idea. I'll have to double check the TPS. I had replaced it and checked it was right around .5V at idle and increasing with throttle when I got the car a little less than a year ago but maybe it rattled out of position since it has the slotted holes.
Sanhino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2020 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SanhinoSend a Private Message to SanhinoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sanhino

30 posts
Member since Sep 2019
I just double checked the TPS and when fully closed reads .50-.52V and when fully open reaches 4.46V which sounds pretty common. It also seems so increase gradually rather than be jumpy so at this point I don't think it's the TPS throwing it off.
Nickoman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2020 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NickomanSend a Private Message to NickomanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmm, have you checked the Map sensor in the same way?
edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2020 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you checked your timing?
That can cause backfiring
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2020 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The problem arises with a free rev in neutral, or while driving in gear?

My Fiero had a bucking (aka trailer hitching) sensation around 2k RPM, while driving calmly at constant speed (in gear). When the driveline is unloaded, the transmission/diff gear teeth can smack back and forth, as there is not enough torque to take up the lash. Any engine irregularities can be amplified while driving in this condition.

In my case, the air/fuel mixture was too lean, so perhaps you have some fueling issues (sensor, injector, whatever).

If it is the driveline lash phenomenon, then perhaps it's just driveline wear too, in which case you'll have to adapt your driving.

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 07-22-2020).]

Sanhino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2020 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SanhinoSend a Private Message to SanhinoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update:

- I backpinned the MAP sensor - A reads 0V (makes sense, ground), C reads 5V (makes sense, power), and B reads about 0.9-1.0V at idle, and the starts to climb with increased throttle, reads about 1.5-1.6V at around 2k rpm. From what I can tell that seems to make sense.

- I double checked timing: with pinning the ALDL timing is right around 8 degrees and runs fine but without pinning it the timing reads at like 20 degrees. Is that normal?

- It does sputter and stall at a free rev but I think I also just happen to have the bucking issue pmbrunelle mentioned. Originally I was thinking it was due to the ignition issue but now it sounds like it's just what it is.

-Revving it by hand and having it sit around 2k rpm I can hear it start to break up. Just for the hell of it I sprayed a bit of carb cleaner into the throttle body (thinking if it was lacking fuel this could maybe make up for it a bit more) and it stalled out, so in my non-experienced mind that puts a tick in the box against it running lean
andreww

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2020 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for andrewwSend a Private Message to andrewwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A video would be very helpful here.
andreww

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2020 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for andrewwSend a Private Message to andrewwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

andreww

240 posts
Member since Sep 2011

Originally posted by Sanhino:

Fuel pressure holds solid at 10-11psi throughout.

Shouldn't the fuel pressure be over 34PSI?
Sanhino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2020 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SanhinoSend a Private Message to SanhinoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by andreww:

Shouldn't the fuel pressure be over 34PSI?

If I remember correctly it should be that high if it was a V6 or later model but for the 84 iron dukes 10-12 psi is normal. (Someone more familiar please correct me if I'm wrong).
PFF
System Bot
Sanhino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2020 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SanhinoSend a Private Message to SanhinoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sanhino

30 posts
Member since Sep 2019

Originally posted by andreww:

A video would be very helpful here.

https://imgur.com/gallery/v0o5BHi

There are 3 videos there: One of throttle body, one of fuel pressure, one of tach (all not the same run of course). The spray pattern looks a lot worse in the video than it does in actuality, I think it's how my phone captures the video. It only seems to capture some of of the sprays.

[This message has been edited by Sanhino (edited 07-27-2020).]

Nickoman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2020 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NickomanSend a Private Message to NickomanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Absolutely dumb question. But did you get all 4 plug wires back on the right hole? I'm only asking because I've in my ultimate wisdom......... have put wire 2 on plug 3 and 3 on 2... and I checked timing on holes 1 and 4... thinking I had no ignition timing issues. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT0GOnz-AwM don't mind the whining noise that was a brand new timing gear doing its thing.
Nickoman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2020 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NickomanSend a Private Message to NickomanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Never mind I just re read your initial subject line. It drives fine other than the specific RPM range. 2 dead holes would not handle that! Im dumb!!!
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2020 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a V6; never had a 4 cylinder Fiero and am too lazy to look it up if the 2.5 has an EGR as well; I had an issue with my EGR valve where it would stick and nearly stall out on returning to idle like it seems to do in your video...

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Sanhino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2020 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SanhinoSend a Private Message to SanhinoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Shho13:

I have a V6; never had a 4 cylinder Fiero and am too lazy to look it up if the 2.5 has an EGR as well; I had an issue with my EGR valve where it would stick and nearly stall out on returning to idle like it seems to do in your video...

I had checked previously if it slid when under vacuum. It does (or at least did when I checked it) but I ordered a new EGR and gasket regardless. Maybe under idle vacuum it runs fine but slight vacuum at 2K rpm isn't enough to move it, and then higher RPMs are able to move it.. just spit balling at this point. Or maybe it's just crunchy and doesn't slide like it's supposed to. I order a new PCV valve too since that's still original and it's cheap enough.

I was also looking up videos of GM single carb throttle body rebuilding. If I was to replace the injector I would already be halfway to replacing the fuel pressure regulator so maybe that's worth trying too? Maybe I'll do that if the new EGR and PCV doesn't make any difference.
Sanhino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2020 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SanhinoSend a Private Message to SanhinoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Shho13:

I just replaced the EGR and the PCV valve and it seems to have fixed it, no specific misfire at 2K rpm and if I hold it and release the throttle it doesn't stall out like it used to. I'm so excited!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock