TRANS. SEAL by RPYRAZOO
Started on: 07-19-2020 03:33 PM
Replies: 19 (330 views)
Last post by: RPYRAZOO on 07-28-2020 07:34 PM
RPYRAZOO

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2020 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RPYRAZOOClick Here to visit RPYRAZOO's HomePageSend a Private Message to RPYRAZOOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
'87 GT auto. I have to have my tranny seal replaced and am wondering if all I'll need for the job is the seal and replacement axle nut. Don't like surprises and would prefer to have all the parts on hand rather than tie the car up any longer than necessary. Where I come from Summer driving season is too short as it is.
Thanks again for your knowledgeable advice.
R
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2020 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Output shaft seals? The bearings are often worn and need replacement.
RPYRAZOO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2020 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RPYRAZOOClick Here to visit RPYRAZOO's HomePageSend a Private Message to RPYRAZOOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ahhh! So much for being pro-active.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2020 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Grab the axle close to the trans. and push-pull to check how much play there is. A little bit is expected...maybe .050" or so. More than that means you have sloppy bearings. Replacing the seals will not fix the leaking if the bearings are bad.
OldsFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2020 07:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OldsFieroSend a Private Message to OldsFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Which side is leaking? The right side is the most common one. If that's the case, the bushing in the case that supports the differential carrier is likely worn. There is an aftermarket support bearing and seal kit that installs in place of the seal that has it's own needle bearing in it.
Marc
RPYRAZOO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2020 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RPYRAZOOClick Here to visit RPYRAZOO's HomePageSend a Private Message to RPYRAZOOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Marc : It is the right side. Where can I get one of those units you posted about, might as well have all the parts bases covered prior to disassemble. One more thing ; what size, brand and how many bearings will I need? Is this a "major" project or equate to a simple axel replacement?
Thanks for the help,
R

------------------

OldsFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2020 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OldsFieroSend a Private Message to OldsFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I still have one on the shelf. 15.00 + whatever a small flat rate box costs. Almost as easy to install as just replacing the axle seal. Remove the axle, remove the seal, install the new integrated seal/bearing assembly where you removed the old seal, and install the hardened race on the axle shaft with the included loctite. It has complete instructions included. It is new but so old that the instructions are only in one language! Hope you don't need an interpreter.
Marc

PS. They can also be found on ebay.
RPYRAZOO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2020 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RPYRAZOOClick Here to visit RPYRAZOO's HomePageSend a Private Message to RPYRAZOOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Marc: I'm just a good 'ol boy from the north and yankee is all I understand. Please e-mail all I need to know to purchase the part, rather buy from a member than any other source.
rpyrazoo@aol.com
Thanks,
R
OldsFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2020 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OldsFieroSend a Private Message to OldsFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like language won't be a problem. I'm in northern Appalachia, so we just talk with more of a hillbilly drawl. When the Post Office opens, I'll walk across the street and see what the postage is.
I will email you later.
Marc
RPYRAZOO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2020 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RPYRAZOOClick Here to visit RPYRAZOO's HomePageSend a Private Message to RPYRAZOOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You have a post office? We've been using pigeons for years.
bjc 350

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2020 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fitzall is the company that makes those axle stabilizer bearings. I put a set on an 84 I refurbished a few years back. Seemed to solve the problems.
PFF
System Bot
RPYRAZOO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2020 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RPYRAZOOClick Here to visit RPYRAZOO's HomePageSend a Private Message to RPYRAZOOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BJC: Thanks, your answer was my new question.
R
RPYRAZOO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2020 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RPYRAZOOClick Here to visit RPYRAZOO's HomePageSend a Private Message to RPYRAZOOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

RPYRAZOO

457 posts
Member since Aug 2006
PS: Looked at FITZALL'S site, exactly which part do I need?
R
OldsFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2020 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OldsFieroSend a Private Message to OldsFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, we have a post office. It's so big, the my shop's box number is the letter A! ha-ha Did you get my email?
Marc
RPYRAZOO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2020 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RPYRAZOOClick Here to visit RPYRAZOO's HomePageSend a Private Message to RPYRAZOOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Marc: No. PM me through this forum with your payment total and method. My zip is 14218. We are hearing rumors that something called the "Pony Express" will be available within the next decade! Great to be part of the New Frontier.
R
OldsFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2020 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OldsFieroSend a Private Message to OldsFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ponies are a better idea. We've shot so many pigeons making messes in barns that they have been replaced by these

and these

I'll PM the info.
Marc
bjc 350

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2020 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The GM 125C 3 speed automatic uses the 75125LRB axle stabilizer bearing. It fits either side. The replacement seal for the bearing is TC-1.375. The bearing driver tool is T404-303. I bought the driver tool, because changing the seal/bearing in the car is not as easy as if you have it out of the vehicle. Wanted to lessen my chances of error. Worked out well.
RPYRAZOO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2020 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RPYRAZOOClick Here to visit RPYRAZOO's HomePageSend a Private Message to RPYRAZOOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Caved in and took it to a highly graded trans. shop, we'll see what his advice will be. Tune in again, same bat time, same bat channel.
R
gjgpff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2020 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gjgpffSend a Private Message to gjgpffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Fiero Store sells these axle stabilizer bearings and seals:
https://www.fierostore.com/...20BEARINGS&d=373&p=1
They're kind of pricey $170 for a pair, and they appear to fit both manual and automatic, and all years. Does that make sense? Are there alternative bearing/seal combos?

I have a leak in my driver's side seal and a seep in my passenger's side seal. Since the transmission fluid is also a bit burned I'm looking at whatever I can do to extend the lifetime of my (Isuzu 5 speed) transmission (88 2.5L).
RPYRAZOO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2020 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RPYRAZOOClick Here to visit RPYRAZOO's HomePageSend a Private Message to RPYRAZOOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't have any answers yet but when I know more I'll pass it on. These guys I'm dealing with are real pros, so I'll pass on your questions to them and attempt to answer as many as I can.
R

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock