Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Did you break (not wear out) your 4t65e HD Transmission? Chime in Please

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Did you break (not wear out) your 4t65e HD Transmission? Chime in Please by DimeMachine
Started on: 07-15-2020 09:20 AM
Replies: 7 (255 views)
Last post by: OntarioKev on 07-15-2020 10:19 PM
DimeMachine

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2020 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you have broken your 4t65e-HD (that was in good sound condition) Please let us know what part broke and under what condition it broke. I am trying to validate what HP levels this tranny will really take with what mods.

I have around 380 crank HP and have launched my 3800 a few hundred times over the past 6 years or so to 11.8 second 1/4 mile times. I started with a tired tranny and had it rebuilt with just normal updates carry in for about $1100. Still works good to today. I can fully say a stock tranny with just normal updates will hold 380 HP VERY WELL.

Your turn.

------------------
84/87 NB, 3800SC, E-85, VS Cam, 2.8 Pulley, 4T65E-HD, HP Tuners, AEM Wideband, Regal GS Gauges, S-10 Brake Booster. 1/4 mile -11.85 at 114mph

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Rickady88GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2020 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DimeMachine:

If you have broken your 4t65e-HD (that was in good sound condition) Please let us know what part broke and under what condition it broke. I am trying to validate what HP levels this tranny will really take with what mods.

I have around 380 crank HP and have launched my 3800 a few hundred times over the past 6 years or so to 11.8 second 1/4 mile times. I started with a tired tranny and had it rebuilt with just normal updates carry in for about $1100. Still works good to today. I can fully say a stock tranny with just normal updates will hold 380 HP VERY WELL.

Your turn.

I have a completely stock 4T65E HD on my LS4 and have no issues with it after countless "launches". I say countless because I abuse the drive train with hard tackeoffs every single time I drive the car.
I have been driving the swap for several years.

[This message has been edited by Rickady88GT (edited 07-15-2020).]

fieroall

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2020 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroallSend a Private Message to fieroallEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DimeMachine: ... a stock tranny with just normal updates will hold 380 HP VERY WELL.

What upgrades did you do?

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2020 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 4T65eHD has held up for the past 7 years with numerous full throttle runs. Those transmission with a bit of modification work have been built to handle 900HP. That might be on the top edge, but forum member Darkhorizon ran a 9.87 @142 mph 1/4 mile time with his 3800/4T65eHD combo. Ash Scott how he likes his transmission. You won't go anywhere near that with any of the sticks that have been used or swapped in the Fiero

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post07-15-2020 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dennis, he did upgrades to his transmission. It wasn't a stock unit.
DimeMachine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2020 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sourmash:

Dennis, he did upgrades to his transmission. It wasn't a stock unit.

LOTS of upgrades as I recall. I am trying to get a handle on what a basically stock with normal upgrades (4th gear known issue - weak part that broke for even grocery getter grandma cars) just trying to get some first hand info on who broke (not wore out) what level of 4t65e hd with what power combo doing what to it...lol...

Thanks guys!

[This message has been edited by DimeMachine (edited 07-15-2020).]

DimeMachine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2020 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

DimeMachine

957 posts
Member since Sep 2011
duplicate sorry.

[This message has been edited by DimeMachine (edited 07-15-2020).]

OntarioKev

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2020 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OntarioKevSend a Private Message to OntarioKevEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You cant go by the failures in the w body cars, with the weight difference in the Fieros, the 4t65s hold up way better than in the heavier cars

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock