88 rack and pinion by yellow peril
Started on: 07-14-2020 01:27 PM
Replies: 4 (187 views)
Last post by: yellow peril on 07-21-2020 02:39 PM
yellow peril

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2020 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellow perilClick Here to Email yellow perilSend a Private Message to yellow perilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
so driving home from work the other night steering felt a little sloppy which I've experienced before. sure enough, when I turn the wheel
the pinion slides in and out of the rack. so either the bearing is toast or the nut fell off. I checked my records and I replaced that rack in 2014.
the original (first one for me) when I took it apart the balls in the bearing were rusted right out of it. I made sure to seal everything with the new one.
but it seems it didn't work. so I just ordered another rack and was wondering if any one else has had this problem and what they did to prevent it
or what I should do with the new one to stop this.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2020 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageClick Here to Email fierosoundSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Probably the bottom bearing again.
http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum9/HTML/000045.html

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2020 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fierosound- great write-up! I have been looking for this for a long time to rebuild a spare 88 rack that I have. Hopefully the parts you listed are still available....

Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2020 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Click Here to Email Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney has the parts you need; I rebuilt my rack with his parts about two years ago now and his parts are TOP NOTCH.

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

yellow peril

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2020 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellow perilClick Here to Email yellow perilSend a Private Message to yellow perilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sure enough, I got the rack out and pulled off the dust cap and there's a ton of grease but all I could find was one ball floating around in there.
gonna put my order in for Rodney's bearings and seal. I am a little disappointed that only lasted 6 years. seems to me it should last longer
than that. something that important should have been engineered better I would think.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock