Need help finding a replacement convertible latch by Madess
Started on: 07-14-2020 07:27 AM
Replies: 5 (155 views)
Last post by: Madess on 07-14-2020 02:11 PM
Madess

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2020 07:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadessSend a Private Message to MadessEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was putting up my convertible top the other day and the latch broke. I was wondering if any knew of where I could get another. I looks like a generic plastic latch. Here is a picture. If you need more let me know. Any help is appreciated.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Mike in Sydney

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2020 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can it be scanned and 3-d printed?
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2020 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is the latch that was on the Brisa/California Convertible convertible top. That top is on my 85GT. The company is long gone and it was never announced who got the parts when they closed. There are some aftermarket convertible top kit manufacturers that still make convertible top kits for other cars like the Miata. You might try seeking them out. If all else fails that part can be duplicated by a machine shop.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

dremu

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2020 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dremuSend a Private Message to dremuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mike in Sydney:

Can it be scanned and 3-d printed?

Scanning a piece like that would be more trouble than it's worth, IMO, but you're on the right track with printing. You'd have to CAD it up, but that looks like a simple enough piece to draw.

Printing it ... hmm. I think you'd want a stiff material like nylon, as opposed to the more typical ABS which has a bit of flex and tendency to snap.

Madess, if you absolutely run into a dead end, shoot me a PM, and we can discuss options. At the least, if you can get the part to me I should be able to draw it up for you, maybe get you an ABS prototype of the bits. (I've had mixed results doing nylon so I don't want to make promises that I could make you a workable one.) From that point maybe you have a professional print house make you a "real" one.

-- A

[This message has been edited by dremu (edited 07-14-2020).]

dremu

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2020 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dremuSend a Private Message to dremuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dremu

283 posts
Member since Feb 2019
Oh, and you might ping these guys

http://www.sunroofdoctor.com/

with Dennis' info above, see if they have any wisdom. I have zero experience with them save that I've read their web page while looking for other stuff.

-- A
Madess

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2020 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadessSend a Private Message to MadessEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for the responses, I emailed the sunroof place, and I will see what they come back with.

My brother in law works at an engineering firm, so I will try the drawing and printing next.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock