Securing the Accelerator Pedal in a 1988 4cyl Fiero by gjgpff
Started on: 07-14-2020 01:53 AM
Replies: 7 (263 views)
Last post by: reinhart on 09-08-2020 05:30 AM
gjgpff

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2020 01:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gjgpffSend a Private Message to gjgpffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, when I got the car it didn't have an accelerator pedal: Image 1. I bought one from the Fiero Store: Image 2. It fits on the pin of the accelerator pedal clearly enough, but no hardware was furnished to secure it: Image 3. The only info I've been able to find from anywhere is that there's some kind of locking/retaining clip/washer thing, based on the service manula: Image 4.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
gjgpff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2020 02:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gjgpffSend a Private Message to gjgpffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

gjgpff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2020 03:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gjgpffSend a Private Message to gjgpffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

gjgpff

74 posts
Member since Jun 2020
So, my question (finally!) How should that thing be secured? Maybe it is as simple as posting a picture of a functioning, well attached accelerator pedal.

Thanks, in advance!
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2020 07:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gjgpff:

So, my question (finally!) How should that thing be secured? Maybe it is as simple as posting a picture of a functioning, well attached accelerator pedal.

Thanks, in advance!

It should have a spring that goes behind the pedal and an "E" clip that caps off the shift. The spring holds the pedal against a stop so that it does not flop around.
gjgpff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2020 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gjgpffSend a Private Message to gjgpffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info. I'm hoping I can find some kind of push-on retaining lock-washer or E clip to hold the pedal on the pin, maybe with some kind of washer between the retainer and the pedal, but getting the right spring may be a challenge.

Anybody got a picture? Does the spring fit around the pin that the pedal slides onto?

Thanks,

[This message has been edited by gjgpff (edited 07-14-2020).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2020 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:
It should have a spring that goes behind the pedal and an "E" clip that caps off the shift. The spring holds the pedal against a stop so that it does not flop around.
Correct. Pedal has a strong spring so stay up even when you push top down some w/ your foot.
"E" clip is wrong type. Most have a version of "speed nut" you push on from end of whatever.
Example:
CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

Side note: Do Not grease/oil the pedal parts. Only makes more headache like the example use for another thread. Coat metal parts w/ Dry Teflon, Nothing on plastic parts.
Gas pedal broken again! https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/132523.html

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

gjgpff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2020 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gjgpffSend a Private Message to gjgpffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, I need the spring shown in the link, or one very much like it. I've looked online and can find some 82-92 GM Firebird/Camaro accelerator springs by searching ebay, and they kinda look like they might work, though they're not nearly as beefy as the original spring.

Anybody know where I might be able to get such a spring, or know of a reliable unapproved substitute?

I'm going to ask TFS, that's where I got the pedal. Rodney Dickman doesn't have anything like that, nor does Thelin as far as I can tell.

Maybe I'll take some measurements and figure out exactly the kind of spring I need and order one from Lee Spring or someone. Then I can report back what works.
reinhart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2020 05:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What did you find out?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock