Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Floatless (tubular) Fuel Level Sending Unit.....A Panic Attack About to Commence

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Floatless (tubular) Fuel Level Sending Unit.....A Panic Attack About to Commence by imacflier
Started on: 07-12-2020 08:28 PM
Replies: 5 (380 views)
Last post by: imacflier on 07-13-2020 01:30 AM
imacflier

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2020 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I plan on dropping my tank tomorrow and installing a floatless fuel sending unit. The unit I have (Note: not buying....HAVE) consists of a tube 1.5" in diameter by 10 " long. Going into an '88 GT. When measuring the zero ohms position, I get 0.197 ohms, the full position 89.973 ohms so it sounds perfect.

HOWEVER:

I had expected that the stock Fiero sending unit to insert through a 2 3/4" five bolt mount (the standard GM mount!)...looking at the pics on TFS it seems the sender is part of the whole plate containing the fuel tubes....anyone have any ideas short of welding a new mounting flange onto the tank????

So, do I postpone the installation until I am prepared to add a weld on flange? I have such a flange, but I am not prepared to find a welder to do it at the moment. Can I use a hole saw on the tank and BOLT on the flange?

OH, WHAT SHOULD I DO??????

Trying to avoid a panic attack, but feeling less and less serene,

Larry
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2020 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Purchased the fierostore unit. Yes, you will need to modify the float a little so it won't bind, but it is far less work than welding on the tank.

This is what the top side of the fuel tank with lines looks like, where exactly where you planning to install the aftermarket sender.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2020 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The pics sound pretty accurate, according to my memory.
Kind of hard to say, without seeing the whole thing in front of me, but I might be inclined to remove the old sender from the tubes (might take some grinding to break the welds/brazing) and hose-clamp the new one in its place. (Unless that five-bolt affair is part of the sender. )
Been a while since I had a sender/pump out of the tank, but I'm thinking it should work.
imacflier

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2020 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice Pic....but shows what I feared. The new sender inserts from the outside, not adaptable to install on the inside.

Sure looks like a new opening will be required.

So: dare I just cut a new opening, use gaskets and sealer, or bite the bullet and have a weld flange installed on the new opening?

They DO make block off plates, but then I need the not only put the sender through, I would have to come up with some way to transfer the tubes to the block off plate.....

Yep! Panic attack on it way!

Larry
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2020 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The tank is also not entirely open inside. There is a plastic baffle liner that mostly encloses the area around the stock fuel pump and level sender. The fill and vent tubes also run down the back half of the tank to the center as well.
imacflier

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2020 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK,

I try and create a package based either on the existing in-tank package or using a block-off plate as a base to create a plug and play module based around the floatless sender: see the mall for my WTB posting.

Larry

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock