Started on: 07-12-2020 07:55 AM
Replies: 9 (590 views)
Last post by: 1Packrat on 07-16-2020 11:43 AM
rubyredfiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2020 07:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rubyredfieroSend a Private Message to rubyredfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My V8 swap in my 84 SE includes TPI with stock 4 speed via 7730 ECM with AXXD bin file. After shifting into 4th gear the shift light comes on upon acceleration and goes off as soon as I relax the gas pedal. I think it's because the bin file AXXD was written for a 5-speed. How can I rectify this? The easiest is remove the shift light wire from the ECM, but I'd like to find out. I'm so anal.
Thanks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2020 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What are you hoping to be told? You already know what the issue is. Seems to me you have at least three choices...

- have a bin file re-written for use with a 4-spd
- swap the 4-spd for a 5-spd
- remove the SHIFT bulb

Seeing as how the SHIFT light is nothing but an annoying unnecessary distraction, the choice appears to be a no-brainer.

Including your own suggestion, I suppose there are four choices.

Originally posted by rubyredfiero:

How can I rectify this? The easiest is remove the shift light wire from the ECM...

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-12-2020).]

rubyredfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2020 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rubyredfieroSend a Private Message to rubyredfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow Patrick, you sure come on strong. but to answer your question "What are you hoping to be told?", I guess I hoped someone modified the bin file. I can only change existing files and not knowledgeable enough to rewrite one. So thanks for chiming in.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2020 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wow Patrick, you sure come on strong...

If I have, it's only because the SHIFT light is less than useless.

Out of curiosity, why is it that you wish to put any effort into having a fully functional SHIFT light?
pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2020 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you want the shift lamp to work, but don't currently know how to modify the bin yourself, that leaves you with two options:
1. Learn how to do it.
2. Get someone else (such as Darth Fiero) to do it for you.

Darth Fiero is highly recommended.

Besides knowing the number of speeds, you should also find out the ratios of your particular transmission. This information is necessary for the person who will be performing the work.

Originally posted by Patrick:
Including your own suggestion, I suppose there are four choices.

The 5th choice is "do nothing".

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 07-12-2020).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2020 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

The 5th choice is "do nothing".

The 6th choice is putting a small piece of black tape over top of the SHIFT light. lol
bjc 350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2020 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 3.8SC , '84 uses the shift light to indicate when cruise control is engaged. At my age, I may not remember I have the cruise on
rubyredfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2020 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rubyredfieroSend a Private Message to rubyredfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you all for your inputs. Opted for option #5.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2020 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thank you all for your inputs. Opted for option #5.

Congratulations! This forum is way cheaper than a therapist.
1Packrat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2020 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1PackratSend a Private Message to 1PackratEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very easy fix. Go on Ebay and purchase a 12V timer board they are really small and cheap. Wire it between input and bulb set timing to 1-5 sec. after 1-5 sec. light will go off.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock