Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  You can only choose one! 86 or 88 Fiero, what year and why that one!

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
You can only choose one! 86 or 88 Fiero, what year and why that one! by branger
Started on: 07-11-2020 07:56 PM
Replies: 9 (387 views)
Last post by: fieroguru on 07-13-2020 11:09 PM
branger

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2020 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brangerSend a Private Message to brangerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have only owned an 85 and an 86, so haven’t had the 88 experience. But looking at brake upgrades and suspension... looks like 88 might be the Fiero if you can only have one... what do people think?

[This message has been edited by branger (edited 07-11-2020).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2020 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From a purely practical point of view, 1986. The reason? More parts availability for restoration and replacement. From a performance point of view, without a doubt the 1988 model.

------------------
Mike in Sydney

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2020 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I prefer my 88s, mostly from a maintenance standpoint.
The alignment is continuously variable in the front (as opposed to adding or subtracting washers or flipping balljoints) and the rear is "purpose designed" instead of being adapted from the front of another car. I like the options available to "tweak" the 88 stuff. (Mostly Fieroguru's parts.)
I also just find them easier to work on. (I had an 84, for a while, and every time I started to do something, I was like... WTH?!)
But I suppose it's just what you are (and I am) familiar with, and what you or I know how to work on.

I probably have enough spare parts (front hubs and such) to keep me on the road for the foreseeable future. The trick is to buy them and store them as you find them, instead of waiting until you need them. No... I'm not a hoarder. Haven't bought any spares for a long time.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 07-12-2020).]

branger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2020 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brangerSend a Private Message to brangerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice to hear from other owners. Thanks for the responses, I’m still debating what I want to do about my brakes... I have the brake booster from summit, steel threaded lines and that’s about it.... everything else is stock. Thinking about the grand am front caliper upgrade, but need e- brake on the back, as mine is standard. I’m not a mechanic, so not sure if the c4 upgrade maintains brake in the back, I’m reading it’s works to get that done and way more money for the C 4 upgrades...and with C4 upgrade I would need to purchase 16 inch rims and tires...

[This message has been edited by branger (edited 07-12-2020).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2020 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've only owned 87 and 85 Fieros and they are fine with me. With the added rear sway bar the handling is really good. The 88's do handle a bit better, and there are some other advantages as Raydar has mentioned, but some of those 1 year only parts can be hard to find and expensive when you do . The model year will also cost you more. Overall the 88 is a more collectible car but the hobby isn't always just an investment.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2020 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
88 models are my pick. They drive better. They stop better. They are easier to drive at the limit of adhesion. 😁
BillS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2020 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BillSSend a Private Message to BillSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have owned 87 and 88 at the same time. There is no comparison - the 88 is far superior. If you can't afford an 88, be sure never to drive one - you'd never be happy with the other years again if you did.
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2020 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
88 because of the suspension and somewhat newer. That being said I have two 87s and two 88s.

Nelson

DimeMachine

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2020 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mike in Sydney:

From a purely practical point of view, 1986. The reason? More parts availability for restoration and replacement. From a performance point of view, without a doubt the 1988 model.

What he said. Plus a 1997 3.8 engine...
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2020 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I made my decision back in 2006 when I purged all my 84-87 cars and kept my two 88s. I have purchased 88's almost exclusively since then.

Not only do the 88's have several upgrades that make them easier to steer, ride & handle better, there was a lot more thought and cohesiveness put into the design. The 84-87 cars have too many items that make me ask "Really?, someone thought that was a good idea? Front lower bushings not being co-linear (designed to bind), washers on a shaft and rotated/slotted ball joint methods for alignment, rubber isolated rear cradle, rear tierod placement are just a few...

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock