Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Slight Regular Misfire and No Power After Upgrades (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Slight Regular Misfire and No Power After Upgrades by Notorio
Started on: 07-11-2020 03:47 PM
Replies: 55 (927 views)
Last post by: Notorio on 08-17-2020 06:49 PM
pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2020 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Any idea what might've caused that?

First theory:
So supposedly the previous owner of my old Fiero rebuilt this engine... I wonder if he broke off a section of piston ring during reassembly. Then, due to the enormous 1st ring gap (as in 1" long), hot combustion gas flowed into the gap and burned a pocket in the piston.

Second theory:
I installed a MegaSquirt engine computer on this engine, and Accel brand (apparently no good) injectors. The engine computer was running a tune fully created by me. So possibly due to a poor state of tune, that particular piston overheated and started to burn on the edge, creating a gap for hot combustion gas to enter. The hot gas would have then burned out a portion of piston ring. I don't know if a piston ring can burn out like that
IP: Logged
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2020 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

...enormous 1st ring gap (as in 1" long)

I don't know if a piston ring can burn out like that

I didn't realize initially that there was a big chunk of ring missing. I don't believe there'd be any chance that a piece of hardened steel ring would burn away. I suspect there were some shenanigans by the previous owner when he "rebuilt" the engine.
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2020 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well this was a ton of work, for nothing: no trouble found.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2020 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Notorio:

Well this was a ton of work, for nothing: no trouble found.

No scoring of the cylinder walls?
Notorio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2020 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No scoring of the cylinder walls?

It's not obvious to me but I should do some research on what Good and Bad look like ...

Let me add that I was worried the Kerosene leak-down test might have looked bad on cylinder #6 if the piston ring gaps happened to be aligned. When I took the piston out the ring gaps were well away from each other. At this point I feel completely stumped.
ag9123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2020 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ag9123Send a Private Message to ag9123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pull the rings off of the piston and check the ring end gap while you’re in there

------------------
1984 Indy Fiero

Notorio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2020 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ag9123:

Pull the rings off of the piston and check the ring end gap while you’re in there

The gaps look so huge sitting on the table out of the bore. The top ring gap is 0.029" at the top of the cylinder and 0.035" further down, below the ridge. The middle ring gap is 0.025" at the top and 0.040" below the ridge. I didn't measure the gap on the lower (oil?) ring (which was 3 rings itself). Do these gaps seem decent vs specs?
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2020 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Here's the specs for the rings out of my 88's service manual... 2.8 specs.

Check the ring side clearance in the piston while you're at it.

This looks kinda fishy to me, but could be an illusion...

[This message has been edited by Shho13 (edited 08-16-2020).]

Notorio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2020 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for posting the specs and figures!!! Reading a bit on the subject I see the gaps can't be too small due to leaving ring expansion room at operating temp. The results of these next measurements seem impossible but I'm posting a picture to show what I did.

Top Clearance: 0.002 - 0.003 (yes, that is 2 thousandths of an inch.) The ring itself is 0.058" thick.

Middle Clearance: < 0.002 (yes, I can't get my thinnest gauge into the space between the middle ring and the groove.) The ring itself is 0.078" thick.

Oil clearance: < 0.002 (yes, same as Middle.) The little sandwich is 0.188".

So are the wrong Rings or wrong Pistons in there? And does this have anything to do with the leak-down failure?

[This message has been edited by Notorio (edited 08-16-2020).]

cyrus88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2020 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cyrus88Send a Private Message to cyrus88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those number for side clearance are in mm and not inches, so for example .002" = .051mm is within range.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2020 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
Notorio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2020 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cyrus88:

Those number for side clearance are in mm and not inches, so for example .002" = .051mm is within range.

Doh!
Notorio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2020 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Notorio

2964 posts
Member since Oct 2003

One would hope that NASA had a Quality Assurance program that would be able to tell that the 'course corrections' they were making were just making the situation worse ...
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2020 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It seems like things are in spec and check out (It's super weird that everything checks out, yet the fluid leaked so much)...

You should do a hone job on that cylinder before putting it back together if you can to give those rings a fresh surface to seat to, the cylinder wall is looking shiny, maybe it wasn't honed properly by whoever was in there last and it didn't "seat" well?

Watch Uncle Tony here, he's got some good info in his videos... Here's some about honing and inspecting the cylinders...

https://youtu.be/UtpoxTbRoaI?t=522

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ASU3hspIBs

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Notorio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2020 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Shho13:

Watch Uncle Tony here, he's got some good info in his videos... Here's some about honing and inspecting the cylinders...

Thanks for posting. I'll try that ring position test with the flashlight pointing up from the bottom to show out-of-round areas! I don't think I'm up to honing with gasoline ... WD-40 perhaps. Uncle Tony has a lot of good tips there.
Notorio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2020 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Notorio

2964 posts
Member since Oct 2003
Update: I looked for out-of-roundness with the top ring, using the piston to move the ring down about one inch at a time (per Uncle Tony), with a light at the bottom right beneath the crank. I ran the test twice: once with the ring gap clocked at Noon and once at 3PM. Both showed no light leaks around the ring edges. I can definitely see that the area swept by the bottom-most "point" of the piston is highly polished, with no remains of the cross hatch pattern (i.e. corresponds to region between the Red Arrows). This is about the only feature of the Bore that seems suspect to me.

[This message has been edited by Notorio (edited 08-17-2020).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock