Electrical for Dummies by Turbowedge
Started on: 07-11-2020 04:05 AM
Replies: 1 (108 views)
Last post by: theogre on 07-11-2020 03:27 PM
Turbowedge

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2020 04:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TurbowedgeSend a Private Message to TurbowedgeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, short of installing a sound system or some led feature lighting, not real strong in the electrical department. I have a ton of '88 headlight modules that I have collected through the years and would like to sell a few of them, so my question is this; To keep from selling a "bad" one, is there an easy and not to technical way to bench check them short of plugging them into an '88 car? Thank you in advance.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2020 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1st See my Cave, Gen 2 HL Motor

You said "not real strong in the electrical department." is a problem...
Plugging them in/out of working 87-88 Fiero works but not a good plan either. Module in it now might fail after playing w/ plugs for no reason.

Bench test needs Gen2 HL wiring and 2 HL lift assembles so can run the module and motors up and down.
Do Not flip motors up/down. Go up, wait, go down, wait, etc. Other wise could fry a good module.
But that's only give you bare minimum works or not...

Add very small "12v" Light Bulbs in parallel to both motors.
Likely can backprobe each motor plug w/ unfolded wires of 194 bulb or other using less power.
Lights. Not LED. Must work w/ "reverse polarizing" and most LED won't work w/o extra parts.
Light should go off same time as motor hit End of Travel. IF NOT and light stay on ~ 5 sec then module has problems and Test Fails.

Even then, Used modules can have iffy even crack solder joints etc in them and test now may pass but after shipping, installing, and whatever and be "DOA" or soon cause you headaches.
Example: I won't bother even testing until can check/fix iffy joints to main plugs etc. inside of an used module.
If you have no equipment and little or no clue what to look for that's a problem. If can't solder well, find something else to fool w/ before you try to fix actual parts because Too small or too big irons, too hot/cold irons, etc, can make bad joints, lift copper off the board and fry parts.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

IP: Logged

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock