Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  What's the tab on the A-pillar rain gutter?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
What's the tab on the A-pillar rain gutter? by dremu
Started on: 07-09-2020 08:38 PM
Replies: 14 (399 views)
Last post by: Gall757 on 08-06-2020 05:56 PM
dremu

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2020 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dremuSend a Private Message to dremuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Namely, this guy ... right hand (passenger) side, looking down:

Not big enough to use as a jeebus bar for us old geezers, though it was handy to undo the goop holding in the retainer (the door weatherstrip is removed in that pic.)

Is it supposed to be a dripguard or something? (This car also had the dripguard at the top, for whatever that's worth.)

The dang thing is in the way of my new (Mustang) T-top weatherstrip, so unless I need it, I'll drill out its rivets and punt it.

-- A
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2020 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's supposed to catch the window when you're rolling it up and make sure it goes back into its track, for example if you're driving and it's windy and the window might might miss the track otherwise....
dremu

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2020 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dremuSend a Private Message to dremuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

That's supposed to catch the window when you're rolling it up and make sure it goes back into its track, for example if you're driving and it's windy and the window might might miss the track otherwise....

Seriously? Yet another Fiero weirdness for having pillarless windows, I guess.

-- A
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2020 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

I thought that too, except for if it were true, you would not be able to open the door.
dremu

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2020 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dremuSend a Private Message to dremuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

I thought that too, except for if it were true, you would not be able to open the door.

It's also *above* the glass, even with the window all the way up.

I suppose it could be there to keep the *weatherstripping* from deforming at high speeds and window closure or the like.

-- A
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2020 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It also serves as a giveaway that the Dino you see in traffic isn't the real deal.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2020 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Hmmm... I've had other cars which had that little tab but they were full-frame doors, so the tab came with the door when it was opened.

I'll have to look closer at my Fiero.

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2020 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is part of the Light-speed drive......."Shhhhhhhhh!"

dremu

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2020 01:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dremuSend a Private Message to dremuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

It is part of the Light-speed drive......."Shhhhhhhhh!"

Why does that remind me of Kang and Kodos?

-- A

[This message has been edited by dremu (edited 07-11-2020).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2020 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The tab is called an ' anti-blowout clip' and has been on many GM cars over the years.

It is not unusual, nor is it Fiero specific.
dremu

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2020 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dremuSend a Private Message to dremuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

The tab is called an ' anti-blowout clip' and has been on many GM cars over the years.

It is not unusual, nor is it Fiero specific.

"the retainer that keeps the top of the door glass from "blowing out" away from the roof rail weatherstrip when the windows are rolled up."

And there we have it. Thanks!

-- A
PFF
System Bot
Habanera Hal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2020 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Habanera HalSend a Private Message to Habanera HalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmmmm.................must not be very important.

No such "tabs" on my T-Top Formula, and I've never blown out a window.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2020 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was driving somewhere (Can't reNember where) and had an extremely strong crosswind......The window was just barely out of it's groove in the roof seal(And the passenger side was a couple of inches down)....The window actually did "Blow out"...Scared the heck out of me 'cause I thought that it would be permanent damage...Luckily the window just went back where it was supposed to be.

And I am sure that the Simpsons aliens had some influence on my alien drawings....Here is my best cartoon so far;

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 07-11-2020).]

Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2020 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've experienced "blow out" of a '75 Datsun 280Z window. I accelerated to... umm... triple digit speeds... on a... umm... closed course. Actually, I had a paid professional driver do that... on a closed course... in Mexico....

Anyway, accelerated to high speeds with the window down and didn't like air buffet at triple digit speeds and tried to roll the window up. 280Z's have framed door windows. The air movement pulled the window out of its track and it wouldn't go into the groove at the top of the frame. It was fine when I slowed down.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2020 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Research Report:

I had a chance to look at my car. The window glass is not in the same position when the door is closed as it is when open. When open, the top edge of the glass is tipped to a lower position, but as the door is closing, the glass hits the weatherstrip before the door is latched, which forces the glass more upright. So when the door is closed, the glass edge is actually behind that little tab, and it would prevent the glass from bending out at the top any further. As you open the door, the glass drops down about 1/2" to clear the tab as the door is opening. Kudos to the GM body engineer who figured this out.....

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 08-06-2020).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock