Started on: 07-09-2020 04:57 PM
Replies: 21 (355 views)
Last post by: Thunderstruck GT on 07-12-2020 09:50 PM
Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2020 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can someone supply me with a photo as well as O.D. dimension of the speed nut that attaches the emblem to the fascia.

Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2020 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anybody?
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2020 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Front emblems I have removed were held on by a single "tin nut" - one of these annoying sheet metal hex nuts used to attach trim pieces.
It cut threads into the plastic post of the emblem when it was installed. Unscrews with a 10mm socket.

This is the only pic I could find.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 07-10-2020).]

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2020 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is that a factory nut?
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2020 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Thunderstruck GT:

Is that a factory nut?

That is the OEM emblem nut. It is called a PAL nut.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2020 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Didn't realize they were shiny. Usually they have something similar to a parkerized or black oxide finish.

I also noticed that they use a wavy flange versus a smooth or flat flange.

These are exactly the things I needed to know.

Now I need to see what I have in stock.

Thanks all

[This message has been edited by Thunderstruck GT (edited 07-10-2020).]

fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2020 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Also found some call them Thread Cutting Nuts.
https://www.autozone.com/nu...-12-piece/730184_0_0

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2020 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Also found some call them Thread Cutting Nuts.
https://www.autozone.com/nu...-12-piece/730184_0_0

I believe PAL, speed and thread cutting are all correct.

Although I never did figure out what P A L stood for.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2020 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You may have already seen this website but they make reproductions for many cars, or Fierostore has them.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 07-10-2020).]

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2020 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

You may have already seen this website but they make reproductions for many cars, or Fierostore has them.

Okay.... Now I'm confused.

Is it the shinny one with the wavy flange or the black one with the flat flange?
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2020 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine looked kind of galvanized.But someone stole my emblem and the nut a long time ago so I have no pic.

------------------
86 GT built 2.2 ecotec turbo
rear SLA suspension
QA1 coilovers on tube arms

PFF
System Bot
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2020 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wftb:

Mine looked kind of galvanized.But someone stole my emblem and the nut a long time ago so I have no pic.

Did it look like the one in the 1st picture (post #2)?
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2020 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you ever find out the correct information for this?
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2020 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looked like the one in Fierosound's hand.
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2020 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Did you ever find out the correct information for this?

So far it appears to be the shiny cad-like plating style. Unless someone else has one that is the black oxide style.

I have about 6 NOS emblems and it appears as though GM never included the attaching nut with the emblem.

GM has always been good at being hit & miss for attachment hardware when it comes to emblems. It kind of sucks when you really need the correct assembly line parts.
dremu

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2020 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dremuSend a Private Message to dremuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I believe PAL, speed and thread cutting are all correct.

Although I never did figure out what P A L stood for.

Googling says "Palnut" is a brand name, to wit, https://apexfasteners.com/f.../palnutreg-fasteners

For "speed nuts" I always think of these guys

but again, the Google says that the thread-cutting type is also called a "speed nut".

Are you doing like a concourse-quality resto on a Fiero that it has to be perfect? That's epic, but ... wow.

-- A
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2020 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So far it appears to be the shiny cad-like plating style. Unless someone else has one that is the black oxide style.

I have about 6 NOS emblems and it appears as though GM never included the attaching nut with the emblem.

GM has always been good at being hit & miss for attachment hardware when it comes to emblems. It kind of sucks when you really need the correct assembly line parts.

Mine was 100% black oxide. I will try to go into my garage in a little bit and find it and then post some pics.
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2020 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I could not find mine but here is a picture of the rear GT logo which uses the exact same nut. They are indeed black.

These should be the replacements. As mentioned above by fierosound, they take a 10mm socket/wrench. They also have a wavy flange .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GM...d:g:6FIAAOSws5pZMXoF

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 07-12-2020).]

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2020 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Damn! I completely forgot about "metric".

I have a large assortment of those nuts but I know none of them are metric.

Now I may have to see if I can find the assortment of used hardware I pulled off of past parts cars as I never thought about the rear nameplate having them.
87_FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2020 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87_FieroGTSend a Private Message to 87_FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I recently had my front nose off on my 88 GT to be painted and took the below picture before I removed the emblem. The speed nut was lightly rusted as you can see and appeared it would have been shiny new. As stated earlier, I removed it using a 10mm socket.

------------------

1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, Black w/Beechwood interior
Featured in the 2018 Fiero Store calendar month of May
2018 Volkswagen Golf GTI S

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2020 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87_FieroGT:

I recently had my front nose off on my 88 GT to be painted and took the below picture before I removed the emblem. The speed nut was lightly rusted as you can see and appeared it would have been shiny new. As stated earlier, I removed it using a 10mm socket.

Awesome shot!!! That is what I was looking for. The condition doesn't tell me what coating it had unless you saw some shiny, un-rusted area but does show me the exact style.

Thanks!
PFF
System Bot
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2020 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I could not find mine but here is a picture of the rear GT logo which uses the exact same nut. They are indeed black.

These should be the replacements. As mentioned above by fierosound, they take a 10mm socket/wrench. They also have a wavy flange .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GM...d:g:6FIAAOSws5pZMXoF

I took the rear fascia off today to do some cleaning and noticed the identical nuts on the nameplate as in your photo. These are obviously black oxide coated but seem to be for a smaller diameter stud than the stud on the front emblem. Are the studs on the rear smaller than the one on the front?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock