Repairing Reflectors for New GT Lenses by V8Steve
Started on: 07-08-2020 09:10 PM
Replies: 4 (168 views)
Last post by: V8Steve on 07-09-2020 07:59 PM
V8Steve

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2020 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for V8SteveClick Here to visit V8Steve's HomePageSend a Private Message to V8SteveEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I purchased a set of Keith Goodyear's amazing lenses. Since I have a spare set for my 88, I decided to put the lenses on the spare set. I intend to write a review later but I'm just getting started.

I showed the photos below to Keith and he suggested I post them. So here goes.

The original reflectors came from our 87 car. The silvery chrome plating was all gone and they were really black inside, a real mess. Now they look like new.

I sanded all reflector surfaces with a piece of 3M PRO GRADE P220 and made sure I got every cranny and left nothing out. The black surfaces remained and it left a dull finish. Then I sprayed Fantastic on all the reflector surfaces as well as the entire unit and let it soak for a few minutes. After a thorough flush with a garden hose I let it dry in the sun.

I used this paint in thin coats, 3-4 coats. Recoat time is only a few minutes. Carefully spray a light coat each time and it transforms in seconds to an amazing finish.

Here's the result:

------------------
88GT 355 CI Sequential Holley Multiport , AFR milled 180, Dyno'd at 427 HP, 320 WHP
anderson@gdsconsulting.com

[This message has been edited by V8Steve (edited 07-08-2020).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2020 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No surprise how bad they were.
Most other old cars are same including Fiero notchies and think just use hotter brighter bulbs and lights still suck and that's even before LED added their own issues.
At lest you can clean/fix Fiero rear lights fairly easy. Many others is very hard just to clear them.

note that there are 2 or 3 "holes" maybe more to vent "water" at bottom where parts meet.
Don't block them.
Not sure where they are for a GT taillight set.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2020 06:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for taking the time to post a description.
My reflectors were pretty ugly too.
Just for grins, I painted my reflectors white. It seems to have worked out okay.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 07-09-2020).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2020 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good job. I've used Chrome silver paint and it does make a difference in brilliance. The LED lights that I just added took things to the next level.
V8Steve

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2020 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for V8SteveClick Here to visit V8Steve's HomePageSend a Private Message to V8SteveEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dennis,
Thanks for your input.

I did a lot of research on the paint but I'm no expert. I'm a good mechanic and passable MIG welder, but lacking in experience with paint. Based on reviews all over the place, it seemed like a good solution. Time will tell. Meanwhile...put miles on my finally finished restoration that began in July 2015!

------------------
88GT 355 CI Sequential Holley Multiport , AFR milled 180, Dyno'd at 427 HP, 320 WHP
anderson@gdsconsulting.com

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock