Door getting stuck by Monkeybean007
Started on: 07-08-2020 04:47 PM
Replies: 8 (170 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 07-12-2020 08:32 PM
Monkeybean007

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2020 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monkeybean007Send a Private Message to Monkeybean007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Door never did this, until this morning it was crazy hot and know when i try to open it its catching this and trying to break it off.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2020 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The fender and door panels are both movable/adjustable, to some degree.

How loose are your door hinges? With the door open, are you able to lift the end of the door (yes, it's heavy) and "rock" the hinges?
Monkeybean007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2020 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monkeybean007Send a Private Message to Monkeybean007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

The fender and door panels are both movable/adjustable, to some degree.

How loose are your door hinges? With the door open, are you able to lift the end of the door (yes, it's heavy) and "rock" the hinges?

Not loose at all, tried moving it no rocking, and it's weird it just happened over night.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2020 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That happened to me on my Mustang II(Worst car ever!!!) Was parked downhill and let go of the door, swung open hitting stop hard- When I closed it it seemed to catch on fender.
When I came back and opened the door it bent the heck out of the fender......Some doors have a "tether" to stop this situation....Make sure your door is adjusted properly and the bolts are torqued to specs....Then do not let the doors swing free to the end.
Monkeybean007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2020 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monkeybean007Send a Private Message to Monkeybean007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

That happened to me on my Mustang II(Worst car ever!!!) Was parked downhill and let go of the door, swung open hitting stop hard- When I closed it it seemed to catch on fender.
When I came back and opened the door it bent the heck out of the fender......Some doors have a "tether" to stop this situation....Make sure your door is adjusted properly and the bolts are torqued to specs....Then do not let the doors swing free to the end.

How do I adjust the door?
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2020 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not a fun job! I believe you can do it by removing the wheel well liner, then carefully loosen the bolts (Hinge to Chassis) and move the door rewards (To eliminate interference with fender)...Then torque those bolts carefully.....The best way is to remove the fender, but that is involved.........

I need to explain; You want the door closed when doing this adjustment- The rear latch will support the rear of the door in proper alignment and should allow the door to slide rearward the 1/8" or so you need......The doors are heavy and really ungainly, so it is best to A) have help and B) take it slow and don't expect your first attempt to be perfect.

Tip) Loosen the bolts a little (Do each one SEPARATELY) until they are completely loose them retighten until snug but loose enough to allow movement of the hinge (Under force)...Once you have a feel for all/each bolt set them at the proper tightness, then use a large screwdriver or crowbar to slide the door back a bit....I have never done this on a Fiero, so I am not sure of pry points.

You can use a pencil or permanent marker to mark where the hinge is and then have a way of estimating when you have moved it enough-;>>>>BEFORE opening/testing door, TIGHTEN the bolts!

Take your time, and if you get frustrated, take a break- don't try to do this on a hot day!
Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2020 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm guessing that your hinges have slipped taking the door out of alignment. (Happened to me once on a '69 Barracuda and I got the same result - bent fender and scraped door.) The hinges can move without feeling any movement. Check sections 5.20 (hinges) and 5.9 (striker) of the Fiero Body manual. for removal and adjustment. It's easier to take the fender off to get to the bolts. You get more clearance that way. Also, check the archives for door adjustment. I've seen a good post there with picture showing the many ways a door can be moved.

The other possibility is that the fender has been shifted back. Look at the fasteners holding the fender to the frame under the hood. You might be able to see if there has been movement there. You can try loosening these bolts and nudging the fender forward to get clearance for the door.

Good luck, Mate.

Hey, BTW, did you get you overheating problem solved? If so, what was the issue? Inquiring minds want to know.

------------------
Mike in Sydney

Monkeybean007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2020 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monkeybean007Send a Private Message to Monkeybean007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mike in Sydney:

I'm guessing that your hinges have slipped taking the door out of alignment. (Happened to me once on a '69 Barracuda and I got the same result - bent fender and scraped door.) The hinges can move without feeling any movement. Check sections 5.20 (hinges) and 5.9 (striker) of the Fiero Body manual. for removal and adjustment. It's easier to take the fender off to get to the bolts. You get more clearance that way. Also, check the archives for door adjustment. I've seen a good post there with picture showing the many ways a door can be moved.

The other possibility is that the fender has been shifted back. Look at the fasteners holding the fender to the frame under the hood. You might be able to see if there has been movement there. You can try loosening these bolts and nudging the fender forward to get clearance for the door.

Good luck, Mate.

Hey, BTW, did you get you overheating problem solved? If so, what was the issue? Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks for the response and not really, after it shot coolant everywhere I refilled it and have had no issues since 😂🤷‍♂️
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2020 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I just happened to stumble across this relevant thread - door kisses fender

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock