evrv by michael jatcko
Started on: 07-06-2020 10:14 AM
Replies: 14 (367 views)
Last post by: cvxjet on 07-07-2020 05:13 PM
michael jatcko

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2020 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for michael jatckoSend a Private Message to michael jatckoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
where is the evrv valve and how do I check it
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dremu

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2020 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dremuSend a Private Message to dremuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by michael jatcko:

where is the evrv valve and how do I check it

Be helpful to know some background: what year? What motor? Did you get a check engine light, and if so, what was the code?

It could be that you're referring to the EGR solenoid for a code 32, but that's a guess. If so, searching on that name will get you more info here.

-- A
michael jatcko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2020 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michael jatckoSend a Private Message to michael jatckoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
86 fiero v6 4 speed
in the repair manual it shows el. vacuum reg. valve. but it does not show where.
and I can't find it on car
car won't start, but will with either

no codes just code 12
michael jatcko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2020 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michael jatckoSend a Private Message to michael jatckoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

michael jatcko

34 posts
Member since Nov 2019
in haynes page 278
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2020 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

in haynes page 278

The 'evrv' is likely for another car....Haynes is full of mis-information.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...030204-2-025702.html
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2020 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That valve is called the Electronic Vacuum Regulator Valve. It is used to regulate the vacuum to the EGR valve. If you have a Fiero 2.8L you are probably referring to the EGR solenoid. It can be tested with a VOM for opens and/or continuity.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

dremu

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2020 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dremuSend a Private Message to dremuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

86 fiero v6 4 speed
in the repair manual it shows el. vacuum reg. valve. but it does not show where.
and I can't find it on car
car won't start, but will with either

no codes just code 12

Emissions stuff won't *generally* prevent a start like that, so I don't think the EGR is your problem child. I'd go back to the basics: To run, the engine needs fuel, air, and fire (spark.)

If putting ether (starting fluid) in makes it go, I'm thinking it has air and fire, but is lacking fuel. Check fuel pressure at the manifold (schrader valve on the passenger side, annoying to get to), to make sure the pump is giving you the forty-odd PSI of fuel pressure. Should stay there fore some time (ie not leak down.) No pressure means pump issues (bad pump, wiring, hoses maybe.)

Heck, make sure you can hear the fuel pump CHUNK on at all when you turn the key, or search for the ALDL jumper to manually run the pump briefly.

Also check the fuel injector fuses (IIRC, two of them) in the fusebox.

And check out the "Ogres Cave" link at the top of the page. He'll prolly venture in with some specific links but I'm sure there's something in there about the fuel system.

-- A

[This message has been edited by dremu (edited 07-06-2020).]

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2020 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In my (Later version) Haynes manual it shows that valve on page 278...So then I checked in my GM 1985 Fiero manual and it shows there also....I suspect it is only on Automatic cars....SO, although Haynes can be wrong sometimes, this appears to be a direct copy out of the GM book. Page 8A-21-3....The following page has the sensors listed with page numbers for the in depth information page on each....The EVRV is LISTED....But it has NO PAGE listed!

I have personally NEVER heard of this sensor!

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2020 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 84 GM Service Manual also has a page for a power steering sensor, the books have issues...
dremu

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2020 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dremuSend a Private Message to dremuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

In my (Later version) Haynes manual it shows that valve on page 278...So then I checked in my GM 1985 Fiero manual and it shows there also....I suspect it is only on Automatic cars....SO, although Haynes can be wrong sometimes, this appears to be a direct copy out of the GM book. Page 8A-21-3....The following page has the sensors listed with page numbers for the in depth information page on each....The EVRV is LISTED....But it has NO PAGE listed!

I have personally NEVER heard of this sensor!

It's not so much a sensor as a solenoid/valve, but saying that gets it confused with the EGR valve proper on the driver's side of the car. This one goes on the passenger side of the car, hangs off the upper plenum or whatever you call the aluminum thing you did up fancy on your car, forward of and lower of the MAP sensor.

-- A
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2020 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Never trust Haynes or Chilton for actuate data for a given year of car. These rags has burned many people. Most times is only a rough guide to find a problem.

For GM and some others Alldatadiy.com has data directly from GM et al FSM for Model, Engine and Year.

Even then GM and other FSM have issues. Example: 84-86 Fiero FSM have many problems w/ rear brakes section and confuse many including Dealer Service staff.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

PFF
System Bot
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2020 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In looking at the EGR valve and the Haynes and GM manuals, the EVRV is actually the EGR control valve.....But the two manuals show differences in wiring- and I can't tell which is right.

So EVRV = EGR valve.....

dremu

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2020 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dremuSend a Private Message to dremuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

In looking at the EGR valve and the Haynes and GM manuals, the EVRV is actually the EGR control valve.....But the two manuals show differences in wiring- and I can't tell which is right.

So EVRV = EGR valve.....

Then what do you call this?

(As I said above, THAT's the EGR valve. The black gizmo with the wiring is the EGR solenoid.)

Anyway, we're waaaaay off topic for the OP.

-- A
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2020 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dremu:

The black gizmo with the wiring is the EGR solenoid.

Yeah, referring to it as the EGR solenoid certainly helps to avoid confusion.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-07-2020).]

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2020 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dremu:

Then what do you call this?

(As I said above, THAT's the EGR valve. The black gizmo with the wiring is the EGR solenoid.)

Anyway, we're waaaaay off topic for the OP.

-- A

OK....Lesson for the day; When I make a mistake...Don't point it out...Just agree with me!

Bad nomenclature! What I was talking about (EVRV) is the EGR SOLENOID.....the actual EGR valve is easy to find because it sticks up like a mushroom off the cross-over exhaust pipe and when I touch it I smell garbage burning! The EGR solenoid is on the RIGHT side of the engine (the "front")........I'm still lurnin' englush......

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 07-07-2020).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock