86 with 4.9l swap please help! by Anthony0712
Started on: 07-05-2020 07:30 PM
Replies: 4 (184 views)
Last post by: Anthony0712 on 07-06-2020 10:55 AM
Anthony0712

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2020 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Anthony0712Send a Private Message to Anthony0712Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi all from colorado! Not even sure where to begin with this but I will try and keep it as short as possible. 9 years ago my father aquired a gorgeous 86 fiero that had a 4.9l swap in it. It needed work but was solid. It kept having a misfire, being in AZ it was so damn hot to try and work on it. Well, my father was very ill at the time and ended up selling the car right before he died. Well, almost 10 years later I found the car forsale in Tennessee! My wife and I drove out there 2 days after finding it and we picked it up and brought it to Colorado. I now have the car back in my possession after almost 10 years. It was sitting in a barn for 6+ years in the same condition we had it way back then down to the dry craked and rotted tires we put on it in AZ. I put tires on it, plugs, wires. Cap, rotor, and new map sensor and she is about 90% running condition. Still has this intermittent misfire! I have heat sleeved damn near everything and all ends of the plug wires etc. Can anyone help me? Anyone recognize the car? Also, I cant get the fiero temp gauge to read and have replaced all sensors related (I think). Any One with 4.9l swaps I kindly ask if you could possibly help me get this family heirloom back on the road and if you have any advice please share! Thank you!![img]http:/ /images.fieroforum.com/userimages/Anthony0712/0620201805_HDR.jpg[/img]This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.[img]http://images.fierofor um.com/userimages/Anthony0712/0620201805b_HDR.jpg[/img]
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cmechmann

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2020 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't know if this will help. The HT series engines(4100, 4.5 and 4.9) used to have a problem with worn distributor gears. It would cause "ghost/random" misfires.
Some would be just worn and some would be cracked. Had had many not show slop at the rotor. Most had to pull the distributor to inspect. Now you have to remember this was back when we normally used an engine analyzer while watching the scope pattern for uneven firing time between cylinders.
J Gunsett

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2020 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for J GunsettClick Here to visit J Gunsett's HomePageSend a Private Message to J GunsettEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice car. Do you know who did the install? Please take a few pictures of the engine bay and post them. When you say misfire, is the engine backfiring, stumbling, or just sounds rough? Are there any code you can read with a code reader?

Jack
Anthony0712

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2020 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Anthony0712Send a Private Message to Anthony0712Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know who did the swap, it looks like a clean install minus a few things here and there. This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
Anthony0712

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2020 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Anthony0712Send a Private Message to Anthony0712Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Anthony0712

4 posts
Member since Jun 2020

It has I would say a "stumble" or a hesitation intermittently and especially after the car goes into final drive or lock up on the converter.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock