Car won't start after steering column work by aewhitney
Started on: 07-01-2020 04:45 PM
Replies: 6 (102 views)
Last post by: theogre on 07-01-2020 09:28 PM
aewhitney

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2020 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aewhitneySend a Private Message to aewhitneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had to replace the ignition rack and gear. What a job! Finally got everything together after a couple of tries. Now every thing seems fine but no engine crank when the key is turned to the start position. Does anyone have any ideas what to look at?
Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2020 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by aewhitney:

I had to replace the ignition rack and gear. What a job!

I'll have to take your word on that as I've never heard of it!
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2020 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have a look through this thread. Maybe you missed something?
//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...090907-2-090390.html

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2020 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Have a look through this thread....

Tony, is an "ignition rack and gear" the same thing as an ignition switch? I thought there must've been a typo of some sort and that the OP's post was supposed to be referring to perhaps a rack and pinion gear.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-01-2020).]

aewhitney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2020 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aewhitneySend a Private Message to aewhitneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found out the ignition switch actuator rack gets bent and doesn't move the switch properly. Mine was bent!

[
aewhitney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2020 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aewhitneySend a Private Message to aewhitneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

aewhitney

18 posts
Member since Oct 2019
Here's my ignition rack. Look close as it is bent. Doesn't take much to cause issues.

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2020 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That part failing is Very common to all cars using Saginaw Steering Column Not just GM cars.

Likely Have to fix the whole column head Including the 4 mounting bolts very buried in the bottom of head that mounts the upper to the tube.
Then likely adjust the I-switch and HL "Dimmer" too.
See my Cave, Steering

The "4 bolt problem" is often cause by fools that abuse the column... Examples:
Think S-wheel is a handle to get in/out of a vehicle.
Let column slam up releasing the tilt lever.
Or Both and More.

The abuse can bend the tube and metal parts those 4 bolts attach to then bolts easily vibrate even looser. Some bolts may even "fall out" so far causes more big problems.

MANY use Red Loctite on the 4 bolts but still abuse the column can have problems again and often soon because the tube and medal still bends or even breaks.
If you use Loctite, Blue work but will move w/ a wrench w/o causing problems or need heat to "melt" Red Loctite. Heating can melt other plastic parts near by.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock