Electric and light bulb questions by Zentaury
Started on: 06-30-2020 09:05 PM
Replies: 9 (198 views)
Last post by: theogre on 07-02-2020 02:05 PM
Zentaury

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2020 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZentaurySend a Private Message to ZentauryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello everyone!
1986 GT, first time for me working on electrical stuff.

1) Previous owner stated that the battery gets drained overnight. I don’t have a (multimeter? Voltmeter?)... which tool do I need to measure on the battery and remove the fuses trying to find the change in (amperage? Ohm resistance?).

2) Trunk release button doesn’t release the trunk. I am assuming this wires on top are why is not working?

3)In my 1985 I have a switch/button that the trunk presses to turn of the trunk light. I don’t have a switch in this 1986. And the trunk light never comes on. I found out that I have a funny kind of lightbulb.

Is that the original lightbulb?

The third brake light doesn’t work neither... same thing, weird lightbulb for me. I bought a 194 as I read in other threads. Do I need to get that GE 889?

Thanks everyone for their advice!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2020 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Loose wire has nothing to do with trunk release.
It is a ground wire for the RF shield on the decklid.
Probably got broken when decklid was removed.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 06-30-2020).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2020 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierosound

15144 posts
Member since Nov 1999
Trunk light looks fine. Check your fuses.

The 3rd brake bulb you need is GE889 or equivalent.
https://www.topbulb.com/ge-...e-prefocus-auto-bulb

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2020 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierosound

15144 posts
Member since Nov 1999
The wiring connection into the decklid is near the right decklid hinge. Is it connected?

The decklid release solenoid grounds through the catch, so won't "click" if decklid is open.

From 86 and up, the trunk light/door ajar switch is on the latch mechanism. It may be bad.

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2020 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PT solenoid get ground thru latch only when closed.
Latch and loop much make contact so solenoid works.

plus only works w/ AT in Park or Neutral or MT w/ P-brake On.

See my Cave, Trunk Release

889 25w Halogen is only one to use. Others may fit but Hot Bulb = Melt or Burn everything.
Must Clean The Bulb w/ alcohol to remove oil from hands etc.
See my Cave, Lighbulbs

Trunk bulb uses switch on latch, Latch switch or wires might be crap and leave light on.
Check Trunk bulb works then push switch just enough so Ajar light is off. Truck bulb should be off too.
Many times that won't kill the battery over night when you have a good full charge battery because draws < 1 amp.

Latch switch "arm" can wear where hits the loop by open/close the lit very often or latch is adjusted way loose. If Ajar light turns off then Turn Bulb should turn off too and wear on the arm isn't a problems.

But iffy Gen1 HL motor(s) and the wiring can and often will. Often motor(s) twitch and gets hot.
See my Cave, Gen 1 HL Motor

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Zentaury

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2020 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZentaurySend a Private Message to ZentauryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys!

The rain has not let me do an inspection in the trunk latch switch... but now I have a third brake light!

With a car this low, and the taillights are not the best is more convenient to have that stop light in working order.

Next... I read that this shouldn’t be this high, or is everything ok?

Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2020 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hard to say. Measure the voltage with digital volt meter and see what it shows. The right place to read it is at the alternator but it's difficult to get to so I cheat and measure the voltage at the battery terminals with the motor running. It should be around 14.5 volts.

------------------
Mike in Sydney

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2020 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Volts w/ Engine running or off?

Dash gauges often lie for many reasons.

Yes, check V w/ a meter at the Battery at minimum.
Engine off w/ full charge battery should see 12.6 to 13v.
Engine running should see 14 - 15v. (Ideal is 14.7v.)

Note: ECM can set "codes" when sees too high volts. Maybe for low volts too depending of ECM/PCM version.
Zentaury

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2020 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZentaurySend a Private Message to ZentauryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks again!

The volts are with the engine running.

Even when I turn on the blinkers I can see it moving every time the lights blink. I will buy a multimeter soon to measure it on the battery.

Now I noticed that even if I turn off the car, remove the keys, lock the doors, the radio clock stays ON.

Is that normal?

And one more thing...

To drive, the steering wheel has to be slightly turned to the left, to make the car go straight. If my hands are on the 9-3 o clock position, the right hand is under the right spoke.

It needs alignment? Or is related to the steering rack?

Thanks!
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2020 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
GM radios and most aftermarket units should Not have clock on w/ key off. Maybe the radio has problems. Or if aftermarket is wired wrong.
Of have blown fuse(s) like See my Cave, Sneak Path

Dash Volts dip when turn lights blink, brake light on, etc. is often iffy grounds. Yes Grounds and can be anywhere w/ problems.
Fix/clean every ground and metal bolted/screwed to then coat w/ brake or silicon grease.
check wires to the alt and battery cables too.
See my Cave, Wire Service

"steering wheel has to be slightly turned... to make the car go straight."
Can be anything...
Something in the front or back or both can cause that. Just 1 iffy Control Arm or Cradle bushing anywhere can do that.
And Still See "Good alignment" on an alignment machine.
Why?
Driving loads up the bushings etc and change alignment vs static alignment on an alignment machine.
1 crap part can "fail" under driving loads but seem ok at alignment shop.
Finding iffy parts can be easy or very hard depending just what is wrong.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 07-02-2020).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock