Hydraulic Power Rack and Pinion Sale at Rockauto by imacflier
Started on: 06-28-2020 09:39 AM
Replies: 11 (366 views)
Last post by: Spoon on 06-29-2020 09:21 PM
imacflier

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2020 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
G'Morning, All,

I am going to install a hydraulic power steering rack and pinion from a 2000 Camaro in my '88 GT. (PLEASE do not let this become yet ANOTHER argument about whether or not is is a desirable conversion!)

So I have been looking for a deal on the rack and pinion. WestCoast Fieros makes the bracketry and tie rod adapters and says to use a rack from a 2000 Camaro. I also want a 2 turn lock to lock system.

Most of the Camaro units are 2.33 turns lock to lock, but if you find a 3 turn lock to lock and combine it with a 1:1.5 steering quickener you end up with two turns lock to lock.

Rock Island is currently selling a reman 3 turn lock to lock unit on a manufacturers closeout for only $87 with no core: https://www.rockauto.com/en...?pk=1151129&jsn=2050

If you are going down this road, it sure is a good price! Mine is on order as of this morning!

Now, anyone have a recommendation on a 1.5:1 steering quickener?

Larry
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2020 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you have a build thread?
imacflier

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2020 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Still gathering parts. I HATE to get started and have to wait for a parts shipment. I will do a thread as soon as I can really get started, though. MR2 Spyder pump to Camaro rack.....gonna be fun!

Larry
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2020 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by imacflier:

Still gathering parts. I HATE to get started and have to wait for a parts shipment. I will do a thread as soon as I can really get started, though. MR2 Spyder pump to Camaro rack.....gonna be fun!

Larry

You'd be better off using a quick ratio rack from a 97-98 Camaro / Trans Am with the WCF kit. It has a better angle alignment for the pinion shaft coming thru to the steering column. I used the 2000 Trans Am quick ratio rack and the pinion angle was such that I had to elongate the opening in the floor to connect the steering column. It was close to the frame rail but enough not to rub. Also turning radius will be reduced slightly with either of these racks.
I used the 2000 Spyder pump as well.

86 SE 4spd/3800sc
Spoon
------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

[This message has been edited by Spoon (edited 06-28-2020).]

dremu

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2020 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dremuSend a Private Message to dremuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Spoon, out of curiosity, why put the pump in the trunk? Seems to me like you'd be better off with it in the frunk, assuming there's room. Shorter lines, at the very least, plus no chance of leaking on the carpet. Or is the pump too big or your frunk have other stuff in it?

-- A

[This message has been edited by dremu (edited 06-28-2020).]

imacflier

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2020 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Spoon,

As you are well aware, you have been my guiding light in this upgrade. The 2.33 turn CamaroBird rack is a vast improvement over what we have now, but I really do want 2 turns! Not to mention $87 for a three turn rack is just amazing....even considering J/Y parts!

Thank you all for the responses,

Larry
Rickady88GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2020 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

G'Morning, All,

I am going to install a hydraulic power steering rack and pinion from a 2000 Camaro in my '88 GT. (PLEASE do not let this become yet ANOTHER argument about whether or not is is a desirable conversion!)

So I have been looking for a deal on the rack and pinion. WestCoast Fieros makes the bracketry and tie rod adapters and says to use a rack from a 2000 Camaro. I also want a 2 turn lock to lock system.

Most of the Camaro units are 2.33 turns lock to lock, but if you find a 3 turn lock to lock and combine it with a 1:1.5 steering quickener you end up with two turns lock to lock.

Rock Island is currently selling a reman 3 turn lock to lock unit on a manufacturers closeout for only $87 with no core: https://www.rockauto.com/en...?pk=1151129&jsn=2050

If you are going down this road, it sure is a good price! Mine is on order as of this morning!

Now, anyone have a recommendation on a 1.5:1 steering quickener?

Larry

Ok, my advice is to order a rack from the v8 NOT the v6 cars. I think it is the WS6 package?
I also advise against the quickener.
I had installed a ZR1 Corvette rack in an 88 and it was crazy fast steering. Practically dangerous.
I also modified a set of steering knuckles to shorten the steering arm for a faster ratio. I took those off, the faster ratio was not needed on the WS6 steering rack.
The v8 powersteering rack is as close to ideal as possible.
For a "race car" I would just do the modified steering knuckles with the WS6 F Body rack.

[This message has been edited by Rickady88GT (edited 06-29-2020).]

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2020 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rickady88GT

10648 posts
Member since Dec 2002

Spoon,

As you are well aware, you have been my guiding light in this upgrade. The 2.33 turn CamaroBird rack is a vast improvement over what we have now, but I really do want 2 turns! Not to mention $87 for a three turn rack is just amazing....even considering J/Y parts!

Thank you all for the responses,

Larry

My guess is that a quickener will not fit. You really do not have a lot of space in there. Part of the problem is that the F body rack steering shaft is at an angle. The Fiero rack is not. This angle takes up a lot of room and can put the steering shaft joints in a bind.
imacflier

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2020 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rickady88GT,

Thanks for the advice on rack quickness. But that ship sailed when I ordered the 3 turn rack. Besides, once upon a time long, long, long ago, I drove racing karts.....so I KNOW what a quick ratio is and well remember trying to drive a straight section and looking like I was driving around obstacles!

Now the issue of 'can a quickener be fitted?'....well with time and effort nearly all packaging problems are solvable and I intend to give this one a pretty good shot!

Still, thank you again for the benefit of your experience and your advice....but we GOFs (Grumpy Old Farts), are a pretty stubborn bunch and we will give this one our best shot!

Larry
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2020 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rickady88GT,

Thanks for the advice on rack quickness. But that ship sailed when I ordered the 3 turn rack. Besides, once upon a time long, long, long ago, I drove racing karts.....so I KNOW what a quick ratio is and well remember trying to drive a straight section and looking like I was driving around obstacles!

Now the issue of 'can a quickener be fitted?'....well with time and effort nearly all packaging problems are solvable and I intend to give this one a pretty good shot!

Still, thank you again for the benefit of your experience and your advice....but we GOFs (Grumpy Old Farts), are a pretty stubborn bunch and we will give this one our best shot!

Larry

Believe me, I know what is like when I have my mind set on something and others try to stop me LOL
Honestly I would return the rack and get the WS6.
BUT, I understand, so maybe you could cut the steering column short and weld/mount the gearbox to it before the rack? Even the space in the footwell is very small so maybe that is not practical.
Many years ago before I did my powersteering there were people discussing the use of a quickener, but I am not sure if it was ever finished or even started. Maybe you could search it and look through the discussion? For a streetcar, I would definitely say don't do the gearbox.

For the record I have had the WS6 rack for about 10 years or more? I have been on MANY twists and hairpins with this rack and I have never needed a faster ratio or even a desire for more or less steering effort. I do not need to do hand over hand steering.
Keep in mind that the power steering rack has different travel than the Fiero so you may or may not be able to steer the rack lock to lock anyway, BUT that mainly depends on your wheel combo, ride height (lowering springs)and related rubbing issues.
imacflier

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2020 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rickady88GT,

Well, given that I am waiting and not getting reasonable response on just when West Coast Fiero is actually going to ship my "on the shelf" parts (GRR) it looks like will have the time to investigate the fit to see it if is feasible or not.

But, as I said, we GOFs are pretty stubborn.

And I really do appreciate your opinions and comments.

Larry
PFF
System Bot
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2020 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dremu:

Spoon, out of curiosity, why put the pump in the trunk? Seems to me like you'd be better off with it in the frunk, assuming there's room. Shorter lines, at the very least, plus no chance of leaking on the carpet. Or is the pump too big or your frunk have other stuff in it?

-- A

(why put the pump in the trunk?)
Everyone that's seen that pic ask the same question. I had many reasons and a few more that I just thought of.
Less modifications to the front tub.
I moved my battery to under the passenger headlight so the pump will help offset some of the weight differential.
Should the pump need service I can remove it within a few minutes and swap in my spare. 2 hoses, 3 nuts & 3 power clips.
Spillage? I've only added fluid once when I installed an oil cooler in front of the radiator. Extra hose plus the cooler volume.

I've also been ask why I installed my fire extinguisher in the trunk.
Answer,,,, It has a remote activation handle in the cabin within drivers reach. The discharge piping & nozzles are at critical positions in the engine compartment. I also have a handheld one behind the drivers seat.

Wait, there's more... I've been ask about my rear scoop and how it's not functional. With the 2.8 it was not. After the 3800sc swap I made it functional. So maybe it's the first 3800sc Ram-Air Fiero. The original ducting hose from the side scoop now helps keep air moving in the engine compartment.

Thanks for your interest..

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock