3800 swap neutral safety issues by Deathcon1395
Started on: 06-25-2020 11:25 AM
Replies: 4 (136 views)
Last post by: Deathcon1395 on 06-27-2020 11:08 PM
Deathcon1395

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2020 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Deathcon1395Send a Private Message to Deathcon1395Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey all,

I recently "completed" my L67/4T65E swap into my 1985 Fiero gt but, I'm having some issues with the neutral safety switch/cranking.
When i try to start the car with the key it will prime and everything but when its turned to crank it doesn't engage or spin the starter.
I have bypassed the key and I can start the car with a push button start and it runs fine so I know the starter is good and i know the engine runs.
I also disconnected the 7 pin plug from the range indicator/neutral safety and jumped the two wires that control the starter and when i do that i can start the car with the key.
I'm guessing its a bad neutral safety switch but i replaced it with a new one before the swap was completed and the original one got smashed when the engine was pulled from the donor.
Is there anything else i should check before i go throwing another new switch at it.

------------------
Deathcon1395
RSE parts technician
1985 Fiero GT 3800sc swap

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ignorant prodigy

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2020 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ignorant prodigySend a Private Message to ignorant prodigyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
did you disable VATS in the pcm?
Deathcon1395

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2020 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Deathcon1395Send a Private Message to Deathcon1395Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yup, i have a hptuner and that was the first thing i did, as well as turning off egr, #2 o2, evap, adjust cooling fan temps, and turning off a couple other randoms like ac.

------------------
Deathcon1395
RSE parts technician

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2020 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1 The switch might be out of adjustment on the transmission.

2 You might have hooked it up so it works backwards. Normally you will need a bell crank to make the movement of the shifter to work correctly. Disconnect any linkage from the tranny and try shifting the tranny by hand. It should be clear when the tranny is in park. It should crank in park or neutral.
Deathcon1395

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2020 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Deathcon1395Send a Private Message to Deathcon1395Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm, i know that the shifter linkages are operating in the right direction because the shifter operates properly and I've been driving the car but it is a bit sloppy so it could be out of alignment slightly. Ill check tomorrow and double check my wiring to the sensor connectors.

------------------
Deathcon1395
RSE parts technician

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay