Clicking noise when turning by willyt
Started on: 06-25-2020 07:23 AM
Replies: 11 (305 views)
Last post by: Mike in Sydney on 06-30-2020 03:12 AM
willyt

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2020 07:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for willytSend a Private Message to willytEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a clicking noise coming from the font right wheel when I am turning the car either direction, with the steering wheel close to full lock. I replaced my shocks last night and now the noise is from both sides, louder, and happens more often. It is somewhere between a clicking noise and a grinding noise. Does anyone have any insight as to what could be causing this or have a good process for diagnosing the issue?

------------------
1986 Fiero SE. V6 5 speed.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2020 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check your wheel bearings.
willyt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2020 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for willytSend a Private Message to willytEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was going to look this up tonight. What is the best way to verify the wheel bearings are bad? I know about grabbing the wheel and checking for play, but this can be caused by other issues as well. Can I look at the bearings and tell if they are bad?
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2020 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check all 4 Brakes "Dirt shield" behind rotors first.
Many bent them while working then have noise And/Or Rust on rotors can make clearance problems w/ the shield.
Do Not go by noise that seems to come from X direction. Check all wheels.

Try Look for "cleaner" spots/areas where rotor(s) hit the shield.

⚠️ Warning: Front and back wheel bearing are Not Pre Loaded and some play is Normal.
front See my Cave, Front Bearings

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

willyt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2020 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for willytSend a Private Message to willytEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great idea, I will check this first when I get off of work tonight
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2020 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I want to second what Ogre said; Check those dust shields....I have had to straighten them a couple of times- it is very easy to bend them out of shape.
willyt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2020 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for willytSend a Private Message to willytEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, I didn’t pay attention to that, I’ll take a look. It would also make sense that the sound got worse after I worked on it. Would that noise get louder when I turned though? I would think the dust shield would make a constant sound
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2020 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Shield Noise is often when you turn.

The normal play in the bearing allow wheels and rotors to get a tiny bit of run-out any time car gets Lat-G loads.
IOW rotor can move in/out rel to the axle a tiny bit hitting the shield turning and stop going straight.

You pulling wheels to change shocks or anything and then grab/hit the shield for any reason is often enough to have noise problem.
Often the shields are already bent some and/or have rust rot so very easy to bend to make noise.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 06-25-2020).]

willyt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2020 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for willytSend a Private Message to willytEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That’s interesting, thanks for the helpful explanation!! I will let you all know what I find. Hopefully that’s the answer, easy fix
Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2020 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good point about the dust shields. If it's the shields, the fix is easy. If it's not the shields, check the wheel bearings this way:

1) Chock the wheels and jack up your vehicle. Support it on jack stands.
2) Without getting under the vehicle, grab each wheel at the top and bottom and attempt to rock it. You should have very little or no play.
3) For the front wheels, rotate the wheel listening for clicking and grinding noise. Any noise may indicate that there is a problem.
4) For the rear, put the automatic transmission in neutral and repeat step 3. If you have a manual transmission, take the car out of gear.

------------------
Mike in Sydney

willyt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2020 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for willytSend a Private Message to willytEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I finished up the rear struts this weekend and bent back all of the dust shields even though none of them looked like they could possibly be rubbing. Took the car for a quick drive and no more noise!! Not entirely sure if it was the dust shields or something else but thank you all for your help
PFF
System Bot
Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2020 03:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by willyt:

...bent back all of the dust shields even though none of them looked like they could possibly be rubbing. Took the car for a quick drive and no more noise!! Not entirely sure if it was the dust shields or something else...

Excellent!!! You got off cheap.

------------------
Mike in Sydney

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock