Fiero brake upgrade question by DefenderMG23
Started on: 06-25-2020 03:16 AM
Replies: 4 (203 views)
Last post by: Lou6t4gto on 06-26-2020 04:50 PM
DefenderMG23

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2020 03:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DefenderMG23Send a Private Message to DefenderMG23Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has anybody successfully done a brake upgrade using a booster other than a S-10’s? Have heard it’s slightly better but still has similar pedal feel. Looking for softer feel for spouse that’s comparable to an early 2000’s vehicle.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jjd2296

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2020 07:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don’t know where you got that info from. The s10 booster reduces the pedal pressure by 50% ! Definitely makes it feel like a 2000s car. And it’s the same whether you just swap the booster or do a brake upgrade as well.
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 549
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2020 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Could be your Booster is "bad," have vac problems or maybe both.
Examples:
84-86 Fiero and other cars have a vac filter in engine bay like to plug. OE is Metal Can on firewall.
All have a vac check valve that leaks/plug internally after 20-30 years. 84-86 has different valve then 87+ because 87+ uses bigger vac line.
Booster could have 1 of 2 diaphragms fail causing harder pedal.

Could be you have other brake problems causing hard pedal.
Example: MC w/ iffy QT valve can cause hard pedal.

See my Cave, Brake Service, Quick Take-up notes and rest of section.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 06-25-2020).]

darbysan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2020 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanClick Here to Email darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I did the upgrade, I used the kit from Rodney's store, and the recomended booster I got from Summit racing. I prefer this setup as you might need a replacement booster in the future ( I did), and it was easy to purchase a replacement.

https://www.summitracing.co.../chevrolet/year/1993
http://rodneydickman.com/pr....php?products_id=350

------------------
'87 GT , '00 3800 Series II SC, 4t65e, Vue Power Steering. (SOLD)

Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2020 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoClick Here to Email Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the GOOD S10 booster on a "properly working" stock fiero brake system, with very little pressure it could almost throw you into the dash. if it doesn't, something is wrong.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock