Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Can one of y'all with T-tops and actual P-seals measure them for me?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Can one of y'all with T-tops and actual P-seals measure them for me? by dremu
Started on: 06-23-2020 09:01 PM
Replies: 5 (171 views)
Last post by: dremu on 07-14-2020 11:53 AM
dremu

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2020 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dremuSend a Private Message to dremuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've read the thing on http://www.gafiero.org/p_seals.shtml about using foam insulation, but I'm looking at generic P-shaped seals to see if I can find something suitable.

See page 20 of the C&C manual @ http://www.slosh.com/fierom...ructions%20T-Top.pdf

This is the side view of the rear P-seal from that page

I'm specifically wanting to know height (red) and bulb diameter (green) of the P-seal (blue). Also on the off-chance that you can get at the inside, the inside bulb diameter (purple)

Also, if anyone can describe the hardness of the P-seal (is it squishy like foam insulation, more like rubber on a door sweep, etc) that would be helpful in sourcing a replacement.

-- A

[This message has been edited by dremu (edited 06-23-2020).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2020 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
P seals are likely still available since I purchased a few last year. Try a PFF search for them and you may find a supplier. The seal rubber under the t-tops is fairly firm and is denser than foam rubber IMO.

Nelson
dremu

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2020 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dremuSend a Private Message to dremuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All of the threads I've read are at least several years old. Can you be more specific as to what you bought and from where?

Also, I'm asking specifically about the P-seal, and not the main weatherstripping under the glass, I understand that's a whole other animal.

-- A

[This message has been edited by dremu (edited 06-24-2020).]

TM_Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2020 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TM_FieroSend a Private Message to TM_FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The seals I have are a firm. They have a stiff rubber or plastic tube running through for the "P" part. There looks to be a thin metal backing encased in them to keep their shape. Wrapped in a velvet (fuzzy) type material. About 7/8" tall and 1/4" thick.

dremu

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2020 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dremuSend a Private Message to dremuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Perfect. Thanks so much! Saves me randomly ordering sizes and getting them wrong

-- A
dremu

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2020 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dremuSend a Private Message to dremuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The McMaster-Carr catalog of course has a bazillion options; I ended up getting their part #1142A11, which fits my particular car pretty well and was not exorbitantly expensive. I was a bit worried about the hardness, but that describes the rubber itself (viz, say, foam rubber which tears if you look at it sideways). This stuff is still thin enough to flex and bend well.

If I remember (always debatable at my age ) I'll post up results once it's installed and I've had some water on the car and see how it all works.

-- A

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock