won't start by michael jatcko
Started on: 06-22-2020 12:45 PM
Replies: 23 (254 views)
Last post by: michael jatcko on 06-28-2020 06:27 PM
michael jatcko

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2020 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michael jatckoClick Here to Email michael jatckoSend a Private Message to michael jatckoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
won't start 86 fiero v6, new plugs, ing module, good spark at coil and plugs,155lbs compression. fuel pump running, cap wired as per manual.

WHAT AM I MISSING
MIKE
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2020 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1. Turn key to crank starter
2. Watch the tachometer for a slight rise to about 250 rpm.
3. If the tach needle does not move, primary ignition is not working. ICM, pickup coil, dist magnet or ign. coil. or wires and connectors for those things.
4. If the tach needle moves, try starting fluid in the throttle body.
5. If that runs the car, you have a fuel delivery problem.
6. If the car still won't kick over a few times, you have a secondary ignition problem.....plugs, wires, dist cap....ign. coil.

New parts do not necessarily mean good parts.

Good Luck!
michael jatcko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2020 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michael jatckoClick Here to Email michael jatckoSend a Private Message to michael jatckoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the tack moves back and forth from 100 to 200
if it is ing problems why do I get good spark at the coil and at the plugs?
I sprayed with ether 2 different time no fire??
creaky78

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2020 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for creaky78Click Here to Email creaky78Send a Private Message to creaky78Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you had the distributor out it might be out of time.
michael jatcko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2020 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michael jatckoClick Here to Email michael jatckoSend a Private Message to michael jatckoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No I didn't remove it
I did pull no1 plug and check rotor to be in no1 plug with timing mark
was running and had a code 42 so I changed the ing module and nothing so I extanged it for another one mand still nothing?????
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2020 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
examine the pins in the connectors that plug into the ICM. One may be pushed back and not making contact.
michael jatcko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2020 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michael jatckoClick Here to Email michael jatckoSend a Private Message to michael jatckoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
if that was true why am I getting good spark at plugs and coil?
l check the prong's ing module the 2 thin plug on r side one wire was pulled back around a 1/8" I push it back in, and tryed to start no start
michael jatcko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2020 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michael jatckoClick Here to Email michael jatckoSend a Private Message to michael jatckoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
when reading codes I still get # 12 code
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 440
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2020 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by michael jatcko:

when reading codes I still get # 12 code

That's what you want.

fuel pump running

This is no guarantee that the fuel pressure is correct.
michael jatcko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2020 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michael jatckoClick Here to Email michael jatckoSend a Private Message to michael jatckoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just sprayed eather in intake again and sprayed alot, still no fire, has new fuel pump and filter 3 months ago
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2020 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice to see you, Patrick.........perhaps you can explain to Mr. Jatcko why a good looking spark is sometimes not so good.
PFF
System Bot
michael jatcko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2020 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michael jatckoClick Here to Email michael jatckoSend a Private Message to michael jatckoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am 83 yrs old mechanic, starter at 12 building home made motor bikes, mechanic all my life, never could not start any kind of motor, this is my 5th fiero kit car built. I am overlooking something

got good blue spark from coil
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2020 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Nice to see you, Patrick.........perhaps you can explain to Mr. Jatcko why a good looking spark is sometimes not so good.

From what Michael has stated about his background, I suspect he's aware that testing spark strength by using a regular spark plug gap isn't enough at atmospheric pressure. A healthy spark outside of the combustion chamber will easily jump a quarter inch gap.

got good blue spark from coil

That of course won't factor in any distributor cap and/or rotor issue. Does the spark jump a quarter inch from a spark plug lead?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 06-22-2020).]

TM_Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2020 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TM_FieroSend a Private Message to TM_FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pickup coil in the distributor gone bad?
michael jatcko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2020 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for michael jatckoClick Here to Email michael jatckoSend a Private Message to michael jatckoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just checked pickup coil in car just had 195 reading, so pulled from car and removed coil from dis. got a 796 reading on bench ???

bad or not
TM_Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2020 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TM_FieroSend a Private Message to TM_FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The changing measurements make it seem like there might be issues with the wires/connectors on the pickup coil. It's out now, good time to throw in a new one.

Doing some searching on the forum, one member found their problem to be some bad wires that go from the coil to the ICM. Something else to check.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2020 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those wires to the pickup coil often get pinched under the distributor cap when it is installed....causing odd behavior.
michael jatcko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2020 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michael jatckoClick Here to Email michael jatckoSend a Private Message to michael jatckoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
this might be it?? I ordered a new delco pickup and a new hot coil.
the spark was good but not great.
find out Friday
THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP, GREAT SERVICE
A person some time can't get through a brick wall but another person can show there is a door way 2 ft away

MIKE
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2020 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

the spark was good but not great.

I take it then that the spark wouldn't jump a quarter inch gap?

I ordered a new delco pickup and a new hot coil.

If it's an aftermarket coil, like an Accel Super Coil, perhaps hold off on using it. There has been plenty posted here over the years that they take their toll on the ignition system and eventually induce failure.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 06-24-2020).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2020 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How'd it go Mike?
michael jatcko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2020 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michael jatckoClick Here to Email michael jatckoSend a Private Message to michael jatckoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
still no start?? I have have spark good 5/8" could weld with it. I now have a running or clicking sound at the idle control valve which I never heard before.. how do you check one?. I was thinking I changed the chip to a super chip 6 months ago which run but got worse as I run it. I am thinking about putting the old chip back in???
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2020 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageClick Here to Email fierosoundSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Just checked pickup coil in car just had 195 reading, so pulled from car and removed coil from dis. got a 796 reading on bench ???

bad or not

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

TM_Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2020 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TM_FieroSend a Private Message to TM_FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where are you located? Maybe there's a member close by that can supply a fresh set of eyes.

Seems like you're knowledgeable of engine basics. Fuel, spark and air. You have spark, you sprayed ether with no luck, air shouldn't be an issue. Unless your timing is 180 degrees out or not actually getting any fuel, it should be at least attempting to start. Can you check fuel pressure to see what it's reading? I don't know anything about Superchips, if you have the original it wouldn't be a bad idea to try it.

[This message has been edited by TM_Fiero (edited 06-28-2020).]

michael jatcko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2020 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michael jatckoClick Here to Email michael jatckoSend a Private Message to michael jatckoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
from Litchfield,il

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock