The world under the boot carpet by PK
Started on: 06-22-2020 12:08 PM
Replies: 13 (457 views)
Last post by: Mike in Sydney on 09-22-2020 08:54 PM
PK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2020 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PKSend a Private Message to PKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello PFF'ers

I decided after 20+ years ownership it was time to peer under the boot carpet.

No problems found other than a very odd section. It's on the near side and has spot welds around it. It was covered in black bitumen type goo. There is a hole in the centre bit no particular rust. The rest of the boot is lovely.

And now for a pic or two...

Car is a 1986 V6 SE.

Any idea what this is aboot?

[This message has been edited by PK (edited 06-22-2020).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2020 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pull the inner fender plastic to likely find more rust.
Some areas have plastic "screws" that are really "rivets." Might "unscrew" but many won't and need carefully prying them out then the rivet body pops out.
reinstall put body in then "screw" in.

"Black goo" can be used by GM to protect a part but is often used by many to hind rust problems.

Rust on frame parts beyond surface rust can clean/treat easy is often a "death sentence" to many cars.
Some claim can "fix" but not really and worse the "fix" can cause big failures in a wreck because changes how crush zones work.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 06-22-2020).]

PK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2020 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PKSend a Private Message to PKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No rust at all on inner Ogre that has all been apart and look absolutely fine. The other side of boot is beautiful. All the bits around this weirdness are beautiful...its just this one bit, it isn't rusty, the hole looks like it was made by something other than rust

Not having access to any other Fiero boots to prod, I didn't know of this was where something used to be housed....or what. Very odd. Will have another dig at it tomorrow.
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2020 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PK:

Hello PFF'ers

No problems found other than a very odd section. It's on the near side and has spot welds around it. It was covered in black bitumen type goo. There is a hole in the centre bit no particular rust. The rest of the boot is lovely.

And now for a pic or two...

Car is a 1986 V6 SE.

Any idea what this is aboot?

You found it! This was one of the cars used in the unreleased film Alien 5: Monsters from the Boot. You are sitting in front of a Gold Mine.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2020 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PK:

I initially thought you must've been referring to the carpet in the footwell... you know... where people in the car keep their feet/shoes/boots. I was wondering what the heck you were expecting to find. You should know by now that spare change in a Fiero ends up either under the seats or down inside the console.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 06-23-2020).]

PK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2020 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PKSend a Private Message to PKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did acquire some US of A change that way P. Quite impressive as it was only there for 1.5 years.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2020 02:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:
I initially thought you must've been referring to the carpet in the footwell... you know... where people in the car keep their feet/shoes/boots. I was wondering what the heack you were expecting to find. You should know by now that spare change in a Fiero ends up either under the seats or down inside the console.

boot = trunk
bonnet = hood
etc.
Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2020 02:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PK:

...Any idea what this is aboot?

If the frame-rails are O.K., I'd say there was a once a leak in the gasket around the boot. An '86 SE that I had this problem and it used to collect water when I left it parked in the weather or after I washed it. The water used to collect in this area and I developed surface rust in the same area. From the pictures, it looks like a previous owner had a similar problem and fixed it by cutting out the damaged area and spot welding a patch in.

------------------
Mike in Sydney

PK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2020 02:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PKSend a Private Message to PKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fender is the one that always confuzzles me ogre, never remember if that translates as wing or bumper. :0)

The patch would have had to be when it was just a baby as I have had it for erm 23years. And if it is a patch it somehow managed to get a gougey hole on the middle! Having looked at trunk rot pics this is in the right place!

Maybe inside leak Mike. The frame rail is definitely solid, all wheel wells etc came off late last year and everything inspected and cleaned underneath.

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2020 02:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

boot = trunk
bonnet = hood
etc.

Oh, I know. As soon as I realized that it was PK who had posted, I knew what he actually meant. I just wanted to tease the Brit.
PK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2020 04:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PKSend a Private Message to PKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Noubt wrong with a bit of banter P :0)
PFF
System Bot
PK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2020 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PKSend a Private Message to PKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Doggy doggy what now...the black goop covered over patches of beautiful clean metal that looked like they have never been painted from the factory!

[This message has been edited by PK (edited 06-26-2020).]

PK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2020 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PKSend a Private Message to PKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mike in Sydney:

If the frame-rails are O.K., I'd say there was a once a leak in the gasket around the boot. An '86 SE that I had this problem and it used to collect water when I left it parked in the weather or after I washed it.

Thanks Mike....that is what happened, indeed it is still a leak. The entire boot is dry after washing other than that exact spot.

No visible boot seal damage but I will have to find someone small enough to shove in the boot with a candle to find the leak. :0)

Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2020 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If your weatherstrip around the trunk is broken or torn you might try to glue it back together with some 3M™ Black Super Weatherstrip Adhesive taking care not to glue the cavity shut. Once repaired, you could use a strip of flat neoprene foam weatherstripping (buy it at a caravan shop) on top of the old weatherstrip or on the boot lid to make sure there's a good, tight seal between the boot lid and the luggage compartment. Alternatively, you could order a replacement trunk seal from the Fiero Store. (Pricey but worth the money.) I have new seals on both of my GT's and the compartment stays absolutely dry in the rain and when I wash the cars.

Mike

------------------
Mike in Sydney

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock