Fuel Pumps: Is It Not True? by imacflier
Started on: 06-21-2020 02:30 PM
Replies: 9 (363 views)
Last post by: pmbrunelle on 06-23-2020 09:32 PM
imacflier

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2020 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Back again so soon!

Is it not true that the crucial cooling for a fuel pump comes from the fuel flowing THROUGH it, not from immersion IN it?

I need to verify that if I am to set up an external pump for emptying a tank full of bad gas without getting under the car to break the fuel line at the filter.

TIA,

Larry
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2020 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The fiero gas tank is not easy to empty with a siphon going down the fuel filler tube. I think you would be better off figuring out how to get to the fuel filter.
hunter29

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2020 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hunter29Send a Private Message to hunter29Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2020 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by imacflier:
Is it not true that the crucial cooling for a fuel pump comes from the fuel flowing THROUGH it, not from immersion IN it?

I need to verify that if I am to set up an external pump for emptying a tank full of bad gas without getting under the car to break the fuel line at the filter.
Yes, In tank FP cools and lubes by Fuel Flowing thru them. External pumps are same.

Otherwise you can't run below ~ 1/2 of tank because FP in Vertical mounted in Fiero and most others.

"Bad Gas" that flows normal then just use OE FP and make sure you kill power fast when tank is "empty" and pump sucks air.
Jump power to ALDL G.

Gas w/ a lot of crap then Do Not use OE FP or anything else using fuel line to engine.
Depending on type of Crap can plug the FP sock and may stay plugged after.
Pull main fill hose and use very flexible hose to suck out that way. Then drop the tank to empty the rest and clean up the mess.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

imacflier

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2020 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gall757

Thank you so very, very much for that link. It was exactly on point (doesn't hurt that it verifies what I believed to begin with either!

Thanks to the rest who answered, too.

Editorial comment: I have been away from the forum for several years.

Now that I am back I have noticed a disturbing trend amongst the responders to not answer the question asked or to ask for clarification about the question, but, rather, to answer what the responder thinks should be the question!

Still,

Thanks again,

Larry
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2020 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Gall757

Thank you so very, very much for that link.

Larry

You are welcome but it wasn't me! I'm the guy that answered the question that you did not ask.
sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post06-21-2020 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Now that I am back I have noticed a disturbing trend amongst the responders to not answer the question asked or to ask for clarification about the question, but, rather, to answer what the responder thinks should be the question!

I know exactly what you're noticing, and it's been worse at times. I didn't ask to be told to throw away a perfectly good supercharged engine that's ready to drop into where another one was. I asked if it would fit. And anyway, it's incorrect to say it's a 200 hp one when it's actually a 225 hp and mods can raise it.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2020 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[B]Originally posted by imacflier:

Still,

Thanks again,

Larry

This happens all the time and it makes for some interesting reading. If this troubles you so much that you can't sleep at night, the answer is to find another forum to post your questions.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post06-22-2020 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There it goes again.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2020 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Refer to the XY Problem:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XY_problem

In general, the OP¨of a given thread is seeking to solve some underlying problem behind the question, so people want to dig in further. It is often the correct approach as well, since OP may be seeking the wrong solution to his/her problem.

Yes, it can be slightly frustrating when you ask a concise question and instead have to explain further. But I don't think anything has changed... feels the same like usual. Maybe you just got grumpy during your absence?

I think that when asking a question, it is easiest to provide some background, but not too much, lest the thread go completely off the topic of the actual question.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock