Removing Ventilation control panel for skeleton removal by cvxjet
Started on: 06-08-2020 06:50 PM
Replies: 16 (375 views)
Last post by: pmbrunelle on 06-13-2020 10:35 PM
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2020 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am actually test fitting a new replacement skeleton made by a guy herenin CA.....It is well made but there are some adjustments that need to be made- that is what I am testing it for.

I cannot remember how to remove the ventilation control panel....What is the best way so I can swap out the skeletons?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2020 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm not sure exactly where you're hung up... but once you're able pull the unit away from the dash, you need to disconnect the cable(s) on the underside. Have you done that?
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2020 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I'm not sure exactly where you're hung up... but once you're able pull the unit away from the dash, you need to disconnect the cable(s) on the underside. Have you done that?

There area also two electrical plugs IIRC.

Nelson
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2020 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So they all disconnect from the panel? For some reason I was thinking I had to disconnect the cables at the other end.......(If I had one near by in the junk yard I would go experiment...That is how I usually learn how to disassemble stuff)
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2020 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is a clamp holding the outside sheath of the cable to the unit, held in place with a screw... and the actual end of the cable is looped and held in place by a round clip with "tangs" that stick inwards, which lodge themselves into a plastic pin on the unit's mechanism. The round clip needs to be pried off. If you don't mangle it, you can reuse it upon reassembly.

[EDIT] Found a great picture in This thread. It turns out I described it pretty good, as I just removed a non-A/C HVAC control panel a couple of weeks ago.

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 06-08-2020).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2020 07:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Patrick, it's called a push-nut.

If damaged, can be purchased at a hardware store.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2020 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't like Nuts- especially PUSHY ones!

Thanks guys- especially Patrick- great pic! (But where do I apply the extra-fine adjustment tool?)
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2020 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You don't have the take the cable off to get the panel through the skeleton.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2020 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will, I actually measured and then tested that idea on a junk skeleton and the new 3D printed one- so I was able to slide it thru.

I was terrified that I would break the nubs off the levers pulling the keeper clips off.......I did disconnect the wiring tho...
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2020 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Right, unplug the wiring, but leave the Bowden cable and sheath clamp connected.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 06-10-2020).]

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2020 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just wanted to add- I ordered my car with no AC, so my vent control has THREE cables on it! Nothing except fan speed is controlled electrically...
PFF
System Bot
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2020 07:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You're the original owner? Wow. Is your car an '88?

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2020 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No...My car is a 1985 SE V6- but over the years I have made some changes; 3.4 long block, Getrag 5 speed, 88 rear suspension plus 88 brakes all around, and some minor body mods (I actually designed and built the custom "B" pillars)

I ordered it from the factory w/ V6, manual trans, 2nd level stereo and lighting option- that is it- took delivery on May 22, 1985.....Paid $11,609.

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2020 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was going to offer to buy your ARB front springs if you had a no-A/C 4 cylinder '88

My Formula was ordered almost exactly the way I would have ordered it: V6 (& sport suspension), Getrag, A/C, Cruise control

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 06-11-2020).]

pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2020 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:
I was going to offer to buy your ARB front springs if you had a no-A/C 4 cylinder '88

I know a guy with a Fiero having that configuration, but the springs are on his car, and I don't think he has any other springs on hand.

Dunno what it would take for him to part with them... a set of lowering springs maybe?
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2020 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

I know a guy with a Fiero having that configuration, but the springs are on his car, and I don't think he has any other springs on hand.

Dunno what it would take for him to part with them... a set of lowering springs maybe?

I'll trade him... I have ARD or ARC. I'd buy a pair of lowering springs (within reason) for him if he sent me ARBs

Also, I'm at this point @$$uming that the no A/C 4 cyl/5 speed cars have ARB fronts....

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 06-13-2020).]

pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2020 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Buddy has an 88 4-cylinder automatic. Sending you an email.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock