Break Pads by hunter29
Started on: 06-07-2020 07:44 PM
Replies: 14 (347 views)
Last post by: hunter29 on 06-14-2020 03:42 PM
hunter29

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2020 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hunter29Send a Private Message to hunter29Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can anyone recommend a good brand of break pads for an 86GT ? Or any I should stay away from.. thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2020 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Raybestos (PGD)series or Wagner (MX)series. These are the top of the line and worth the price. Don't skimp on quality.
hunter29

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2020 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hunter29Send a Private Message to hunter29Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for that info, I was checking out Rock Auto, seems I can't get front and rear pads from the same manufacture , is it ok to use different pads front and back?
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2020 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hunter29:

Thanks for that info, I was checking out Rock Auto, seems I can't get front and rear pads from the same manufacture , is it ok to use different pads front and back?

The same brand is preferable but I would not mix ceramic with standard pads. I've had good luck with Wagner, Raybestos and Centric pads.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2020 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Brake Pad you mean...

Wagner ThermoQuiet are good.

AZ and Others are often rebrand of Federal Mogul and other big name parts like Ferodo and Wagner brake products.

Get Best Ones a store carries. Order them if needed. Most local store can get any parts same or next day w/o charging you shipping cost. Yes same day but depends on time ordered.

Note that Wagner TQ and others "press media" like advertising material confuse many people thinking all are now Ceramic pads but not true.
All major brake brands and most part stores go by "type" of pads/shoes installed by car makers. Fiero = "Semi-metallic" friction material. But many formulas are in that type w/ different grades etc.

Don't get "Performance" parts from TFS and others. Many are Bogus or worse made for "Race use" that won't stop right when use on the street. IOW "Race pads" on the street can be bad or worse stopping distances then even Factory Pad installed by GM in the 80's.

See my Cave, Brake Service and rest of section.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2020 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

theogre

32246 posts
Member since Mar 99

Originally posted by hunter29:
Rock Auto is Not the best source for most parts.
AZ, Advance Auto, and others are often cheaper in local stores and more so online then RA and plus when you have a "core charge" you can return the core to a local store. Returns for any other reason often can go to local store too. Just take online bill and part to the local store.

Online AZ and others often have very deep discounts and often free shipping above X $ plus return/core to the local store saving you more.

I've beaten every price from RA using AZ and AA online because of free shipping and 20% off.
hunter29

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2020 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hunter29Send a Private Message to hunter29Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2020 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:
Rock Auto is Not the best source for most parts...

Not only that their commercials are pretty lame ...
steve308

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2020 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Having spent 20 years in the automotive aftermarket I can say with confidence that store branded / boxed product is more than likely not the same item sold under the brand name. In many cases, the retailer will require (demand) a specific price point that must be met by the manufacture who must also be required to eat all returns (defects made under the lifetime replacement advertised by the retailer) so corners are cut, materials are de-contented and shims, grease etc., are eliminated from the stores branded "top of the line" items. To get PGD Raybesto's it has to be in a Raybestos Box / Wagner MX must be in a branded Wagner box. Shop around. There are still parts store distribution groups that sell Brand Name products.
hunter29

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2020 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hunter29Send a Private Message to hunter29Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by steve308:

Having spent 20 years in the automotive aftermarket I can say with confidence that store branded / boxed product is more than likely not the same item sold under the brand name. In many cases, the retailer will require (demand) a specific price point that must be met by the manufacture who must also be required to eat all returns (defects made under the lifetime replacement advertised by the retailer) so corners are cut, materials are de-contented and shims, grease etc., are eliminated from the stores branded "top of the line" items. To get PGD Raybesto's it has to be in a Raybestos Box / Wagner MX must be in a branded Wagner box. Shop around. There are still parts store distribution groups that sell Brand Name products.

Good info, where should I look? The parts stores like O, AZ ,AA all have one pad under a name I never heard of, the more I learn the more confused I get..
steve308

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2020 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just look online in your area for an independent or less retail oriented parts store. In my area we have Federated / Fisher, Auto Plus, Parts plus and a couple more. You can also go into the Raybestos and Wagner web page and look for the 'where to buy' tab. If they have one, it's zip code driven. If all fails, Rock auto. Also, you can use the companies catalog to look up the part number. Type the part number into Rock Auto's 'search by part number' area and it might just pop up the matching rear pads.
PFF
System Bot
hunter29

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2020 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hunter29Send a Private Message to hunter29Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the help guys, any advice on rotors ? Thinking of replacing them as well..
steve308

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2020 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you have a PM.
Kevin87FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2020 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rock Auto has Raybestos Element3 (semi-metalic) pads.

Frt: PGD 261M
Rr: PGD 262M

You have to do a part search by number to see them. Not listed currently under the Fiero selections.
hunter29

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2020 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hunter29Send a Private Message to hunter29Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, I did not know that..

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock