1988 Power Steering leak by DrXtreme
Started on: 05-31-2020 09:43 AM
Replies: 14 (618 views)
Last post by: bjc 350 on 06-13-2020 04:02 PM
DrXtreme

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2020 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DrXtremeSend a Private Message to DrXtremeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
my 1988 Mara has a slight leak at the top of the steering rack. I didn't think much of it until it sat for a month and when I went to drive it, it was almost out of PS fluid.

Is this a common problem? Can the rack be rebuilt?

Thanks in advance.

DrXtreme
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2020 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fieros don't have power steering, unless someone added it or you have one of the prototype electrohydraulic power steering racks.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2020 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DrXtreme:

Is this a common problem? Can the rack be rebuilt?

Where is your power steering reservoir? Is it near the driver's side headlight?
In that case you have one of a handful of 88 Fieros that got out before the car was cancelled.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2020 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To help correctly identify the Power Steering unit, I am posting photos of my unassembled EHPS components.

Nelson

[This message has been edited by hnthomps (edited 06-01-2020).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2020 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DrXtreme:

my 1988 Mara has a slight leak at the top of the steering rack. I didn't think much of it until it sat for a month and when I went to drive it, it was almost out of PS fluid.

To me, it INDEED looks like you have a factory 88 Fiero power steering system.

To get the rack rebuilt, you'll need to find a competent rebuilder as there is no "88 rack rebuild kit".
But he should be able to source any seals needed after measuring them.

I would think the parts may be the same as a Chevette PS rack because the
Fiero steering racks were basically a wider version of those on the Chevette.

This is a Chevette PS rack in a Lambo kit.

NO 88 Fiero power steering parts are available

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 06-01-2020).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2020 02:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

To me, it INDEED looks like you have a factory 88 Fiero power steering system.

None of those pics are from the OP so we still have no idea what he has.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2020 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

None of those pics are from the OP so we still have no idea what he has.

Oops.

And I gave such a good answer too.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 06-02-2020).]

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2020 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It was a good answer, I didn't want to jump to any conclusions until we saw what he had, I've seen half a dozen different racks used over the years. Or maybe it's just a brake fluid leak.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2020 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There was a power steering unit that was put on the re-bodied Zimmer Quicksilver that had the pump located on the 2.8L engine and long lines running to the front. West Coast Fiero might have also offered an installation kit for the F Body rack.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2020 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

There was a power steering unit that was put on the re-bodied Zimmer Quicksilver that had the pump located on the 2.8L engine and long lines running to the front.

They used a Merkur xr4ti power steering rack for those cars.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...031110-2-030221.html

cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2020 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fierosound- It's kinda embarrassing to make mistakes like that; Luckily, I have never made a mistake like that........(It's really hard looking at my laptop when my noise is 3 feet long!)

A number of after market setups have been used- The Merkur (Semi-factory), the F-body and even C4 Vette ones......I plan on doing that one in the future possibly- for faster ratio- with an electric pump up front for weight distribution....

Need to see a pic or two of your setup DrXtreme to know what you have and how to help
PFF
System Bot
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2020 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As far as I remember from what I have read over the years, the first 10 or so 88 Fiero GT's were sold with the optional power steering. I have also seen a video of an 88 Fiero test and it had the power steering. Then GM recalled all the cars with power steering and replaced them with manual racks. Some people refused to have the recall done and although rare as hen's teeth there have been reports of them over the years.

To me this was the ultimate bait and switch by GM. The test car they sent around to the magazines had power steering. People read about it then ordered their car and it did not have power steering when it came in. I would have refused delivery myself.

------------------
86 GT built 2.2 ecotec turbo
rear SLA suspension
QA1 coilovers on tube arms

DrXtreme

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2020 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DrXtremeSend a Private Message to DrXtremeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hnthomps:

To help correctly identify the Power Steering unit, I am posting photos of my unassembled EHPS components.

That power steering rack looks very similar to mine (haven't had a chance to crawl under the car). My Fiero is a 1988 Mera with factory (co I'm told) PS. The car has a Northstar V8 and PS pump in on the motor.

Any chance you can get a closer picture of the center part of rack at T location both sides? Mine leaks from top so I can't see where.

Dr Xtreme

Nelson

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2020 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will try to dig the rack out of storage and take a few photos this weekend.

Nelson
bjc 350

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2020 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The rack Nelson is showing is the proposed 88 power steering unit which was electric. It did not use a pump mounted to the engine. So, you likely have an aftermarket setup.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock