deck lid torsionbars by wildbill86gt
Started on: 11-19-2003 10:46 AM
Replies: 21 (166 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 05-30-2020 04:05 PM
wildbill86gt

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2003 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wildbill86gtSend a Private Message to wildbill86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I stupitly tryed to take off my deck lid at the firewall and now , after I have it back together it does not stay up , what adjustment do I have to make and how do I do it. Any help wil be apprecated. It is cold ,raining hard and very early to be messing with this. Sorry about my spelling!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jtiger186

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2003 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jtiger186Send a Private Message to jtiger186Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you add anything to the deck lid? There is a different bar if you had a wing. It is stronger to help with the extra weight of the wing.

Gary

------------------
JTIGER186

84 SE Parts car
85 SE
86 2M4 In progress

wildbill86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2003 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wildbill86gtSend a Private Message to wildbill86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No I just started to try to take the deck lid off at the firewall,after I diecded that was the wrong thing to to do I put it it back, Now it do's not want to stay open.
wildbill86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2003 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wildbill86gtSend a Private Message to wildbill86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

wildbill86gt

117 posts
Member since Oct 2003
anybody?
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2003 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you are the second person i have hear this happen to.

i have no idea how it could happen but i believe you.

I took the deck lid off of the hinges, and didn't adjust the hinges on the firewall. but it doesn't stay open most of them time now.

somewhere is the step by step of how to adjust the springs.

how knows i dont have any thing to do tonight so i might try to look it up and do it.

if i find the thread i'll link to it here.

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2003 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you did not take the pin's out that hold the spring's (this pin can be moved from hole to hole to add or subtract spring tension) then you inadvertantly flipped one of the spring links over. This will nulify one of the springs, so only one of the springs is holding up the lid. If you took out the pin's you may have put them back in the wrong hole. If one or both links were flipped over you need to take off the deck lid to readjust the link/links.

[This message has been edited by Rickady88GT (edited 11-19-2003).]

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2003 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well i dont know about wildbill86gt, but i never touched that torx bolt
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2003 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You dont need to take out the torx, it can flip just by takeing off the deck lid and moving the hing around
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2003 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok. well they are both pointing towards the rear of the car when the lid is open.
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2003 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

buddycraigg

13597 posts
Member since Jul 2002
If you look at this pic you will see 3 pink spots.
My deck lid pins started in the middle (this is an after shot)

[This message has been edited by buddycraigg (edited 11-19-2003).]

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2003 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

buddycraigg

13597 posts
Member since Jul 2002
It actually only took me about 10 minutes.

I started on the right side.
I first removed the plastic triangle piece circled in GREEN.
I then attached a hook on the torsion bar where the BLUE arrow is.
Using a ratcheting tie strap I pulled the torsion bar off of the pin far enough to slide it in the farthest back hole.

PFF
System Bot
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2003 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

buddycraigg

13597 posts
Member since Jul 2002
Still on the right side…
Showing hook on the torsion bar.

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2003 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

buddycraigg

13597 posts
Member since Jul 2002
Next I pulled back the trunk seal a bit so I wouldn’t damage it with the tie strap hook.

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2003 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

buddycraigg

13597 posts
Member since Jul 2002
I didn’t even bother removing the air duct, I just went over it and it workout fine.
Attached the hook on the left torsion rod and pulled it back with the ratcheting tie strap.
Removed pin from middle hole and put it in rear hole

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2003 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

buddycraigg

13597 posts
Member since Jul 2002
took about 30 minutes to post this on PFF, took about 10 minutes to do the job.

and yes the deck lid stays open now.

dguy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2003 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dguySend a Private Message to dguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh crap why didn't I think of a tie-down strap?

The last time I adjusted the spring tension, I some rope and one person with lots of pulling power, and another to insert/remove the pin. :slaps self upside the head:

buddycraigg, I'd give you another + if I could.

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2003 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is slick. Good job
wildbill86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2003 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wildbill86gtSend a Private Message to wildbill86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
THANK YOU!! To everyone who answerd I have not gotten out to try anything yet, but I'm sure with all the help I will get it fixed. It is cold, nasty and wet and I do not have any cover!
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2020 02:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Using the powers of the admin to resurrect this thread from the archives...

Originally posted by buddycraigg:

Attached the hook on the left torsion rod and pulled it back with the ratcheting tie strap.
Removed pin from middle hole and put it in rear hole

With rear hole I assume the hole nearest to the back of the car?

Since replacing the hinges quite a few years back, my deck lid won't stay open either...

Should I move both pins? Or can I just try moving one first, check, and if necessary move the other as well?
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2020 03:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

Should I move both pins? Or can I just try moving one first, check, and if necessary move the other as well?

You can only move one pin at a time. See what it's like, move the other if required.

With a piece of nylon rope attached to a three foot length of 2x4 acting as a lever in the trunk, it's very easy to release enough tension from the pins to allow their change of location.

Good thread here - How To - adjust decklid torque rod tension

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-29-2020).]

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2020 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, first attempt didn't go so well. I hooked one end of the tie strap to the left torsion rod and the other end to what I think is the cruise control bracket (my car has no cruise control). It took quite a bit of force to move the rod. It actually took so much force that it completely bend the bracket out of shape. So not sure how to proceed. I could use a 2x4 as a lever, but that requires an extra set of hands and I don't have any help so I need to figure out a way to do this by myself.
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2020 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

I could use a 2x4 as a lever, but that requires an extra set of hands and I don't have any help so I need to figure out a way to do this by myself.

Perhaps my arms are longer than yours, but for me it's a one-man job. One hand pushes/tips the 2x4 back, while the other hand relocates the pin(s).

One tip... the end of the 2x4 doesn't go down into the bottom of the trunk. It just sits on the little "shelf" directly behind the forward lip of the trunk.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock