Question about AC hoses by jaybug56
Started on: 05-28-2020 09:31 AM
Replies: 7 (280 views)
Last post by: jaybug56 on 05-29-2020 07:47 PM
jaybug56

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2020 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybug56Send a Private Message to jaybug56Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My question is about the flex hoses between the compressor and the mount block on the driver side of engine compartment. I have a SBC mounted with a 4T440 trans using a V8 Archie adapter in a 86 GT. I have modified things to a serpentine belt drive and am using a V5 compressor from a 88 2.5 Fiero. I tried using a hose from a 86 GT 2.8 but it is way to short. It's got to be at least 6 inches longer to even reach the compressor. Does the 88 with a 2.5 and a V5 compressor use a different hose assembly than the earlier models. I only have seen 85 - 86 V6 cars and thought all hoses were the same.

[This message has been edited by jaybug56 (edited 05-28-2020).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
J Gunsett

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2020 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for J GunsettClick Here to visit J Gunsett's HomePageSend a Private Message to J GunsettEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had to take mine to an AC shop and had them lengthen the hoses about 6 inches (I think). I made then a little longer then needed so that I could keep them farther away from the exhaust pipes.

Jack
jaybug56

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2020 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybug56Send a Private Message to jaybug56Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by J Gunsett:

I had to take mine to an AC shop and had them lengthen the hoses about 6 inches (I think). I made then a little longer then needed so that I could keep them farther away from the exhaust pipes.

Jack

Did you use the V6 hose?
J Gunsett

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2020 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for J GunsettClick Here to visit J Gunsett's HomePageSend a Private Message to J GunsettEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, they were the V6 hoses. They can take your hoses with the fittings, remove the hoses and install new hoses the length you want. Make sure you tell the shop they are for automotive use.

Jack
jaybug56

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2020 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybug56Send a Private Message to jaybug56Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by J Gunsett:

Yes, they were the V6 hoses. They can take your hoses with the fittings, remove the hoses and install new hoses the length you want. Make sure you tell the shop they are for automotive use.

Jack

Thank you. Now to find a place to do it.
jaybug56

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2020 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybug56Send a Private Message to jaybug56Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jaybug56

378 posts
Member since Jan 2010
I got under the car again to look at things. My V5 compressor ports are different than the H6 compressor. The suction and discharge ports are at different depths. I'm thinking the 2.5 cars have a manifold that matches. Can anybody that knows about this tell me or show me a picture of one
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2020 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
DA6 and HR6:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/124630.html

The original Fiero-era compressors used special o-rings to seal the hose assembly to the compressor. What you're describing on your V5 sounds more like the more recent sealing washer compressors.

Check this out:

jaybug56

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2020 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybug56Send a Private Message to jaybug56Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ahhhhhh I see

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock