Battery securing help by Monkeybean007
Started on: 05-24-2020 12:30 PM
Replies: 20 (367 views)
Last post by: theogre on 05-26-2020 04:11 AM
Monkeybean007

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2020 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monkeybean007Send a Private Message to Monkeybean007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was wondering if anyone knows of a good way to secure the battery so it doesn't move around so much, I have the battery tray but it's still super lose and I autocross the car and it's an issue.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2020 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you have the right battery? The tray should have a clamp part and a bolt.
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2020 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It sounds like you do not have the battery hold-down/clamp......

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 05-24-2020).]

Monkeybean007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2020 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monkeybean007Send a Private Message to Monkeybean007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have that, maybe I'm not doing it correctly but it still has a ton of play with that
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2020 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The stock plastic block is not a very secure method in my opinion.

I use a steel flatbar over the top:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/142133.html#p8

I use a plastic tray, but a thick sheetmetal tray with upturned lips on the edges would also suffice to keep the battery from sliding around.

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 05-24-2020).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2020 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeybean007:

I have that, maybe I'm not doing it correctly but it still has a ton of play with that

The original tray should capture the battery base both front and rear. If you don't get the battery under the front catch, the rear 'hold down' will not help you. Use a Group 75 battery and trap it on both sides of the base and it's not going to go anywhere. Fiero battery trays rust easily...make sure yours is all there.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2020 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

The original tray should capture the battery base both front and rear. If you don't get the battery under the front catch, the rear 'hold down' will not help you. Use a Group 75 battery and trap it on both sides of the base and it's not going to go anywhere. Fiero battery trays rust easily...make sure yours is all there.

On a stock car, you have the metal catch up front, and the plastic block at the rear.

What keeps the battery from shifting left-right? Do you just clamp down hard enough, or is there some separate piece I haven't seen?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2020 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

What keeps the battery from shifting left-right?

Friction! The rubber block is at an angle. When the bolt is tightened, it not only pushes the edge of the battery down, but it also pushes and jams the battery up against the other side of the tray. On a solid non-rusted out tray, a correct sized battery is quite secure.

Of course, the best place for the battery is up front... but that's another topic.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2020 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is also a plastic liner for the tray that snugs up the battery and is often missing.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 05-24-2020).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2020 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

There is also a plastic liner for the tray that is often missing.

From the factory? Interesting. I've never seen one on a Fiero.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2020 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/070945.html

I don't know if this part helps with sideways movement or not.....but it was there.
It is shown in cvxjet's posted picture.

https://www.fierostore.com/...spx?s=65872&lp=50250

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 05-24-2020).]

PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2020 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Oh, you mean that plastic shield that helps to keep heat off the battery. I thought you were referring to a plastic tray that sits under the battery, like a tub.

I have one similar to this in my Subaru.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2020 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can grab my battery and shake the whole car.....I suspect Monkeybean does not have the right battery.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2020 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Gall757

10938 posts
Member since Jun 2010

Originally posted by Patrick:

Oh, you mean that plastic shield that helps to keep heat off the battery.

A heat shield made out of plastic? That would be a surprise. I think they wanted to trap the power cables away from belts and pulleys, and prevent battery movement sideways......but who knows.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2020 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The plastic "Wall" to the left of the battery is double-walled so it definitely is for heat protection.....It has air flow up thru it to help dissipate the heat from the engine.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2020 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

The plastic "Wall" to the left of the battery is double-walled so it definitely is for heat protection.....It has air flow up thru it to help dissipate the heat from the engine.

For sure. The picture in your earlier post shows this quite well.
Monkeybean007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2020 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monkeybean007Send a Private Message to Monkeybean007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I will give it another go and see if I can figure it out thank you
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2020 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, Fiero/GM battery trays lock both sides of battery base.
And won't move "sideways" related to the "clamps" points either when have right size and type of battery and tray is in good shape.

It helps to install a battery make sure:
metal "clamp ear" is good and no crap stuck under.
Put battery in and push into the metal ear.
Put plastic block and bolt in but don't final torque the bolt. (some cars let you to pull/install battery w/o completely removing these parts but easier to remove most times. Plus can clean etc the bolt at same time.)
Find/make a "wedge" or tool to push the block tight to the battery.
then torque the bolt.

There is no "torque spec" for mounting hardware in FSM.
Needs careful tightening so won't move but don't go so tight plastic warps etc.

Also OE bolt is made for this job w/ most have a big thick captive washer.
The washer is so big it hinds most to all of the slot in the plastic block and even a lot of block too.

Many are missing the OE bolt and block won't hold right w/o the big washer to spread out the loads.
If missing just go to junk yard and get some bolts w/ blocks. GM use same mounting on Millions of vehicles so shouldn't be hard to find.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2020 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

theogre

32255 posts
Member since Mar 99
Closeup of mounting hardware.
Is Not a "self-threaded" bolt tho looks like one. Just so fools won't strip the parts.
Plastic block doesn't mater which way up. Can be easier w/ smooth side up because washer may have trouble adjusting to battery case.

Bat Tray can rust out for 2 main reasons...
Salt in winter or live near Ocean.
Battery/Alt had problems and acid leaked out.
Can have either or both.
If you think had acid leaking... Must check/fix frame and plumbing under it. Hard Brake line & T under there and Fuel line(s) depending on Year.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2020 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can any BCI group 75 battery be properly secured with the Fiero clamp setup?

Or does one have to be careful in selecting among the available group 75 batteries for one with bottom lips of just the right size?
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2020 04:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:
Can any BCI group 75 battery be properly secured with the Fiero clamp setup?

Or does one have to be careful in selecting among the available group 75 batteries for one with bottom lips of just the right size?
All "real" Group 75 and related have correct bottom design to work in GM vehicles w/ this mounting setup.

Most brands for North America are made by either Johnson Controls or Exide for Decades. So you have less problem buying a battery to fit any OE mounting. (JC was sold to Brookfield Business Partners LP just last year and Middletown DE Battery Plant is to close in 11/2020 after got violation notice from DNREC, state's "EPA", in 01/2020.) See my Cave, Battery

Some batteries may come w/ "adapters" on the battery base to fit X group size but Do Not use the adapters on any car w/ base mounting. Those only work w/ fixed top mount setup that need correct height.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock