87-88 fuel tank depth by imacflier
Started on: 05-23-2020 09:38 PM
Replies: 6 (267 views)
Last post by: imacflier on 05-25-2020 10:56 AM
imacflier

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2020 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good evening all.

If anyone has an 87 or 88 gas tank out, would you please measure from the sender mounting surface to the bottom of the tank?

Summit sells tube type (but float inside the tube, not capacitance) which should be a bolt-in if you have the right length for the tube. And all for $87!!

https://www.summitracing.co...in-sn38t11?rrec=true

I am gonna keep looking for a capacitive fuel tube....but, again, I need the length

I really would like to order the right tube BEFORE I drop the tank!

So, please take a few minutes and measure your tank for me!

TIA,

Larry
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
msweldon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2020 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for msweldonSend a Private Message to msweldonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have mine out restoring and doing some mods to it.. I'll get you a measurement today or tomorrow
imacflier

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2020 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
msweldon

Thank you so very much!

Kinda sounds like you might be in a position to make such a conversion before I am even ready to drop the tank!

TIA,

Larry
msweldon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2020 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for msweldonSend a Private Message to msweldonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by imacflier:

msweldon

Thank you so very much!

Kinda sounds like you might be in a position to make such a conversion before I am even ready to drop the tank!

TIA,

Larry

10" without baffle , 9 13/16" with baffle from mounting flange of sender unit hole on tank to bottom of the tank...

No sticking with 90ohm sender... if I need other ohm readings for my swap I'll hard wire resistors in for the ECU or Arduino it to convert the 90ohm signal.
imacflier

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2020 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
msweldon

I cannot thank you enough! I wonder if a 9" tube reaches the fuel level of a tank the pump empties....we all know it does not get it all!

BTW, there is no problem with sticking with 0-90 ohm gauge: there are fuel tubes available to support that gauge!

I will report back with links and p/ns in the next day or so.

Larry
msweldon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2020 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for msweldonSend a Private Message to msweldonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by imacflier:

msweldon

I cannot thank you enough! I wonder if a 9" tube reaches the fuel level of a tank the pump empties....we all know it does not get it all!

BTW, there is no problem with sticking with 0-90 ohm gauge: there are fuel tubes available to support that gauge!

I will report back with links and p/ns in the next day or so.

Larry

0-90ohm sending unit or 90ohm gauge is not my issue... I have an ECM, E92, that want's to see two 40-250ohm signals as many late model GM RWD's have a tank that straddles the drive shaft with two sending units.

[This message has been edited by msweldon (edited 05-24-2020).]

imacflier

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2020 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
msweldon,

Contact cliff@classicinstruments.com for your specific length and ohm range requirements.

To All,

Thank you so very, very much.

As promised here is the link to the Summit listing of capacitive tubes: https://www.summitracing.co...in-sn38t10?rrec=true

Tubes can be trimmed to length and at least 1/4 inch clearance to the bottom is suggested, so 9" or 10" trimmed sounds about right. Ideally a tube that just reaches the level of gas in the tank that is left when you run dry is perfect....but that almost certainly is different for every Fiero due to production and age variations.

Since I am old and oh so slow, I will probably not be the first to try this.....so everyone please keep us all abreast of your progress!

Enjoy your holiday!

Larry

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock